Bat balance and COG

says Aging is a killer
I had an EJ relapse and was trying an old bat. It felt good but a bit head heavy. I applied some old Kinesiology tape to the handle in order to balance the blade to my liking. The thing is, I am not sure what I shoild be looking for technically other than 'it feels good'.
Looking at the photograph, am I correct in thinking that the balance point on the ball is the centre of gravity (COG)?
If that is so, then is there a general rule among bat makers as where the COG should be?

Bal-balance-pic1.jpg

Reactions: BeGo and dirtyD

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
There might be a general rule, but I can't see this being very precise. Seeing as the rubbers make up of about 50-60% of the total weight, they have a big influence on the COG aswell. You could design a blade with certain rubbers in mind, but I don't think this is really done. I've never examined the COG when making a blade, because with every rubber it would be different.

I would be interested in seeing a setup where the center of gravity is at the part where the handle ends, making it a 'balanced' blade. The part that you hold in your hand would be of equal weight to the other part. This would make for a really heavy blade with a handle weighing more then 2 rubbers :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews