Rubbers advice for Stiga Intensity NCT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi,
I'm kinda new into table tennis, I started 6 months ago.
I have in mind to purchase a Stiga Intensity NCT since there is a nice 30€ discount on it… I would like to use a DHS H3 Neo 2.15 for the FH, but I'm not sure about which BH rubber I should use… I've thought about using a Xiom Vega Europe or Xiom Omega V Europe (this one has a discount and the same price of the Vega) and I'm not sure about which thickness would work best.
I usually play offensive and mostly block with my BH. I play circa a meter away from the table.

Do you think that this setup would suit my playing style? Any advice on rubbers?

Thank you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thank you both for the answers. Just wanted to say that I've used for the past 6 months an offensive Joola bat with 40 2.2 rubbers

This user has no status.
Hi,
I'm kinda new into table tennis, I started 6 months ago.
I have in mind to purchase a Stiga Intensity NCT since there is a nice 30€ discount on it… I would like to use a DHS H3 Neo 2.15 for the FH, but I'm not sure about which BH rubber I should use… I've thought about using a Xiom Vega Europe or Xiom Omega V Europe (this one has a discount and the same price of the Vega) and I'm not sure about which thickness would work best.
I usually play offensive and mostly block with my BH. I play circa a meter away from the table.

Do you think that this setup would suit my playing style? Any advice on rubbers?

Thank you

Just get that setup, since no one knows how you play (no one has seen you play). You obviously did not come to this setup randomly. Get the H3 Neo and Xiom rubber, play with it for a year, and by then, you will know what you want to try next because you will know what qualities of your equipment are shortcomings to your style. There is no substitute for your own learning process regardless of what other people say. Unless you have seen them play, you won't have a clue why they say what they say.

Since you are new, check out some of the players here who post videos of themselves. Study how they play, and then reflect on what they say.

I would not recommend such a fast, carbon blade so early, especially if you want to play with a tacky fh. Tackies are more difficult and less forgiving, but ultimately, I believe that they are the best. You'll probably want something softer and more flexible so you can increase spin and control. An all wood, all or all+ will serve you well. This is based on what I have read by Chinese players and my club's Chinese coach. Also, start with lower thickness and build up to max. Then when you are fully confident in your strokes, then consider moving to a faster blade. I've noticed in my club in general a lot of players have fast, carbon blades. The players cannot properly control them and whereas they slow down their strokes in order to get more control, I hit faster because Im more confident hitting the ball harder, using my whole body. On the bh I don't really know, as I play penhold and we generally go for very soft rubbers to compensate for the awkward stroke. But you said you mostly block bh. The bh loop is amazing, and you will develop it faster with increased feel on the ball.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
I would not recommend such a fast, carbon blade so early, especially if you want to play with a tacky fh. Tackies are more difficult and less forgiving, but ultimately, I believe that they are the best. You'll probably want something softer and more flexible so you can increase spin and control. An all wood, all or all+ will serve you well. This is based on what I have read by Chinese players and my club's Chinese coach. Also, start with lower thickness and build up to max. Then when you are fully confident in your strokes, then consider moving to a faster blade. I've noticed in my club in general a lot of players have fast, carbon blades. The players cannot properly control them and whereas they slow down their strokes in order to get more control, I hit faster because Im more confident hitting the ball harder, using my whole body. On the bh I don't really know, as I play penhold and we generally go for very soft rubbers to compensate for the awkward stroke. But you said you mostly block bh. The bh loop is amazing, and you will develop it faster with increased feel on the ball.

Just to clarify, Intensity NCT is not a carbon blade. However, it is still a whole lot faster than a regular allround blade. Buying a blade because you can get it on discount is probably not the best idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
So guys you're saying don't develop your playing style with an advanced blade cause it's like learning how to drive starting with a Ferrari... I get your point. But what if I play with the Intensity and stick to it, wouldn't it be good for my formation to keep only one blade?

I only have a very bad premade offensive bat called Joola Carbon Pro, its 40 rubbers 2.2 are very poor for control. So you say Stiga Allround, or the classic Off matched with the rubbers I thought about?
Why people say tacky rubbers like the neo are hard to play with? I don't like Mark V rubbers. I think the H3 Neo attracts me for its tackiness and overall reputation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
What about a Stiga Infinity VPS V Diamond Touch?

I like how infinity VPS feels but if you put it has hollow handle and hence it will be head heavy. If you want stiga blade, I recommend going with offensive classic, offensive CR or maybe that new celero wood they are going to release. The celero should be released pretty soon so I would hold a bit on that.

For the rubber, I think Evolution EL-P would be a good idea. It's slightly heavy but the sponge hardness is just right between hard and soft and the rubber is very balanced over the power, spin and control

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I like how infinity VPS feels but if you put it has hollow handle and hence it will be head heavy. If you want stiga blade, I recommend going with offensive classic, offensive CR or maybe that new celero wood they are going to release. The celero should be released pretty soon so I would hold a bit on that.

For the rubber, I think Evolution EL-P would be a good idea. It's slightly heavy but the sponge hardness is just right between hard and soft and the rubber is very balanced over the power, spin and control

Well beautiful rubber (only seen reviews), a little too expensive though? Right now the VPS or Stiga o/c are my go for ideas. Not yet sure about rubbers... as I said the H3 Neo is for me a must try and I think I'd try as well a 1.8 Xiom Vega Europe since it's pretty soft...

Does a VPS need lacquering in advance to seal the wood?

This user has no status.
Hallo nndei! It all depends on your level, your style, your age, your potential, but,...
Intensity NCT is on the speedy side of 5-ply all-wood blades, though for me it is not extremely fast, it has great feeling of the ball and the right amount of vibration, so i think it is a blade you can start and develop with. Just pair it with classic rubbers for now, like Mark V or Sriver. If you definitely don't like classic rubbers, my next suggestion would be some euro/jap rubber on it's softer and thiner version.
Of course, if you have a good coach you can trust, ask her/him and put anyone on this forum aside.

This user has no status.
So guys you're saying don't develop your playing style with an advanced blade cause it's like learning how to drive starting with a Ferrari... I get your point. But what if I play with the Intensity and stick to it, wouldn't it be good for my formation to keep only one blade?

I only have a very bad premade offensive bat called Joola Carbon Pro, its 40 rubbers 2.2 are very poor for control. So you say Stiga Allround, or the classic Off matched with the rubbers I thought about?
Why people say tacky rubbers like the neo are hard to play with? I don't like Mark V rubbers. I think the H3 Neo attracts me for its tackiness and overall reputation

Obviously they did not read about your past playing experience that you posted earlier. You still want to listen to them?
And who do you mean by "people say tacky rubbers are hard to play with?" Are a billion Chinese children not people?

Here is Werner Schlager's advice which he said at his table tennis academy to new players:
"Start with the thickest sponge right away. Changing thicknesses involves changing arm strokes which a developing player should try to minimize. The same can be said of the racquet. Choose one and adapt to it."

What Schlager says applies to developing attackers only. Defenders will start with a thin sponge and likely stay with a thin sponge.
There are other good reasons for choosing a thinner sponge, like rounding out the weight or balance of your blade. But working from thin to thick sponge while developing makes no sense. What about sponge hardness? Go from soft to hard? This kind of constant change will only slow your progress. Unless of course you are EJing for fun and you don't mind slowing your progress then go right ahead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Since I have no Chinese guy to advice me on tt rubbers I can't judge what billions (rather thousands) of Chinese have to say...

This user has no status.
You requested rubber advice based on your playing style. Please inform us of your style. I searched your prior posts and didn't see that info (i may have missed it).

I am also having trouble locating any other info than:
- You have played table tennis for 6 months with a premade bat
- You have an "Off" playstyle, but don't loop with backhand
- Want to by a Stiga Intensity NCT mainly since you can find a good deal on that blade
- Play mainly fairly close to the table

Information lacking:
- How often do you practice?
- Do you play in a club
- What are your ambitions (do you want to get better or do you want to have fun using the same gear more experienced players use)?

Even though Werner Schlager might disagree, most coaches will not recommend someone as new to the sport as you, to use Tensor style rubbers nor fast blades. Regarding sponge thickness, my humble opinion is also that it is better to use MAX thickness with a rubber you can control than to use a thinner sponge on a faster rubber.

Reactions: Jabugo