Women's World Cup 2016

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
This years Wen's World cup will be held in Philadelphia, USA from the 7th October to 9th October 2016. Singapore's Feng Tianwei has entered as the number 1 seed. The Chinese players have withdrawn from the World Cup, the young Japanese players are participating including Mima Ito and Miu Hirano.

Live matches from the Women's World Cup can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

Main Draw

Women's Singles

Singapore's Feng Tianwei, the World #6 has entered the Women's World Cup as the #1 seed.

fengtianwei2016tabletennis.jpg

Feng Tianwei - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

Women's Singles Seeds

01) Feng Tianwei
02) Cheng I-Ching
03) Mima Ito
04) Petrissa Solja
05) Miu Hirano
06) Tie Yana
07) Liu Jia
08) Haeun Yang

Live matches from the Women's World Cup can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this prestigious event! What are your predictions? Who will be crowned the 2016 Women's World Cup Champion? Feng Tianwei?Cheng I-Ching? Mima Ito? Other? Be sure to also vote in the poll and let us know in the posts below.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
just watched the summary of Day 1. What a shame ! this is the World Cup and there is absolutely no one watching the competition... What's the point of organizing that competition in the US ???? No wonder the Chinese players boycotted the event... [those injuries from DN and LSW are "diplomatic" to me]

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
just watched the summary of Day 1. What a shame ! this is the World Cup and there is absolutely no one watching the competition... What's the point of organizing that competition in the US ???? No wonder the Chinese players boycotted the event... [those injuries from DN and LSW are "diplomatic" to me]

The Chinese women pulled out. I can guarantee you that many of the people who bought tickets were Chinese. That said, it was also a weekday. It should be much fuller today.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I saw the schedule and have one big question mark.....
Cheng I Ching vs Lily at 16:30
Then vs Liu Jia at 19:50

3 hour and 20 mins..... where Lily's match was 1 hour, it only gives Cheng 2 hours and a bit to recover
Ive seen such lousy schedule management in amateur tournaments, but this is the first time I see it in world level....

http://www.ittf.com/competitions/te...ate_to=10/08/2016&p_assc=&Competition_ID=2695

Now is this time correct or am I imagining things?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I saw the schedule and have one big question mark.....
Cheng I Ching vs Lily at 16:30
Then vs Liu Jia at 19:50

3 hour and 20 mins..... where Lily's match was 1 hour, it only gives Cheng 2 hours and a bit to recover
Ive seen such lousy schedule management in amateur tournaments, but this is the first time I see it in world level....

http://www.ittf.com/competitions/te...ate_to=10/08/2016&p_assc=&Competition_ID=2695

Now is this time correct or am I imagining things?

Yes, you are right. I thought the same thing too initially but thankfully, it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I also strongly feel that to defend that, Liu should have played her match at a time much closer to Cheng.

That said, these are World class athletes used to training many hours so fatigue is rarely the main issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, you are right. I thought the same thing too initially but thankfully, it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I also strongly feel that to defend that, Liu should have played her match at a time much closer to Cheng.

That said, these are World class athletes used to training many hours so fatigue is rarely the main issue.

I see today's match is also like that
last SF starts at 15:00
Final at 19:00 (likely 3rd place at 18:00)

So the 2 SF is 2pm and 3pm, then 6pm and 7pm

Why not start 1pm and 2pm, and then player has min 3 hours to recover
the 3pm could end 4:30pm, and then expect one of them to play at 6pm?

And how come today and yesterday, no matches at 10am?
Yesterday last match at 9:30pm? this looks like amateur tournament hour, I recall world event last match is about 8pm always

These hours doesn't make sense

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I hope Miu HIRANO can make a breakthrough and win this cup. The favorite is CHENG, she really got to a new level this year. she should crush TIE easily if she stays calm.
FENG is not the player she used to be, HIRANO has to beat her. She is a quick and very stable player, but she lacks power and her game is a bit too predictable, I think. But she's still very young and has still time (not so much though, there are so many good players and they emerge younger and younger...) to improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
wow clean sweep for HIRANO in her final against CHENG. CHENG was favourite on the paper, but she looked terrified to play the final. HIRANO's shovel serve scored her many free points, CHENG was unable to read it, so much variation in spin, variation and deception with nearly the same motion. HIRANO dominated with her serve, and dominated also in the BH diagonal where CHENG was stuck. and when the ball came on FH side, she managed to block it to CHENG wide FH out of her reach...

amazing victory, we will hear it a lot on Japanese TV.

I have believed for a while that HIRANO would become a better player than ITO. ITO's game is a bit unique with her agressive short pimples BH but her FH is too unstable. HIRANO's game is much more balanced. She lacks power on the FH side, but her BH seems really in place, her legs are strong. if she can improve her FH she can climb further to the top.

If you don't know her, there's another youngster , Hina HIYATA a left handed player which I think will be even stronger ! she's got really a powerful FH ! Maybe she'll be the next Japanese to win the World Cup !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i wanna learn this shovel serve for sure !!

Brett has some videos on it as does Eli Baraty. Cic didn't so much misread the spin as she underestimated it and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some hiding in play though I would have to see to be sure.

Congrats on your country woman winning the world cup. The first non-Chinese is a big deal.

I also think people underestimate Hirano's forehand because it doesn't have flashy footwork. The spin level is as good as anyone out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Brett has some videos on it as does Eli Baraty. Cic didn't so much misread the spin as she underestimated it and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some hiding in play though I would have to see to be sure.

Congrats on your country woman winning the world cup. The first non-Chinese is a big deal.

I also think people underestimate Hirano's forehand because it doesn't have flashy footwork. The spin level is as good as anyone out there.

it is spinny , but its not up to the Chinese level. Who really is ??? well i think among the non-Chinese players who have power on FH i see SOLJA, but she is far behind in all other aspects. HINATA is interesting, because you could watch her fight fiercely in FH topspin to topspin far from the table with DING Ning at Japan & Korea Open this year. I never saw another player do that, not even ISHIKAWA.

btw i'm not Japanese, i'm a foreigner living in Japan