Married Ai Fukuhara Aims for 2020 Tokyo Olympics

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
After 2016 Rio Olympics, a romantic story has been developing cheerfully between Japan and Taiwan. On this Sep. 1st, Japanese famous player, Ai Fukuhara, nicknamed as Ai-Chan, has married Taiwanese handsome player, Chiang Hung-Chieh. On Sep. 21st and 22st, they held two consecutive official press conferences in Tokyo and Taiwan. As far as concerned, Ai Fukuhara keeps aiming for 2020 Tokyo Olympics after getting married.

ai1.jpg

Compared to her ex-boyfriend, Japan famous tennis player, Kei Nishikori, and table tennis player, Hidetoshi Ooya, why Ai-Chan finally prefers Chiang Hung-Chieh over others as her husband? In my opinion, three main reasons are as follows.

For Asian female athletes, it is almost impossible to be a wife and an athlete at the same time. Right after her retirement in 2008, Wang Nan, a 2000 Sydney Olympics table tennis female single gold medal laurate, married Kuo Ping, a real estate businessman. Zhang Yining, a table tennis female single gold medal laurate of 2004 Athens Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics, married Hsu Wei, a Hong Kong businessman, on Oct. 18th, 2009, which is the year she retired. Compared to them, it is quite fortunate and sweet for Ai-Chan to have a husband, Chiang Hung-Chieh, who supports her keep playing table tennis after getting married!

This Aug. 28th, Ai-Chan had a post on her Weibo saying that I am excited about my family name won’t be Fukuhara! Later, this Sep. 8th, Japan NHK press reported that “CHINAG and FUKUHARA won’t live together soon. Neither of them will change their nationality. Ai Fukuhara won’t change her name to Chiang Ai as Japanese tradition requires. Both of them will retain their own family name. She will continue participating table tennis competitions.” According to Japanese Civil Code, section 750, a pair of husband and wife is required to bear the same family name. Though there is no related law requiring that a wife should abandon her original family name and bear her husband’s family name, 96% Japanese wives abandon their original family name. However, more and more Japanese women hope to retain their original family name after getting married. On the other hand, thanks to revised Taiwanese Civil Code and raising feminist consciousness, almost every Taiwan married female retain their own family name. Few Taiwanese, e.g. Lien Fang-Yu, Chiang Soong May-Ling, Chiang Fang Zhi-Yi, etc., bear husband’s family name. Whether to retain wife’s original family name is indeed a personal choice, we should respect their own choice. About the issue, Fukuhara and Chiang will find their way out for sure. Anyway, wish them a cheerful marriage!

In Taiwan romantic relationship, female talks and male serves. A boyfriend will do his best to fulfill his honey’s request, e.g. driving her to her office, pay for eating-out, helping to take some heavy baggage naturally, etc. All these efforts aim to make his honey happy and wins her heart. Even moving to marriage life, the same spirit still applies. Taiwanese men always work hard and will do anything to manage a joyful marriage life.

ai2.jpg

Based on above three reasons, it is believed that Ai-Chan and Chiang will lead a spectacular marriage life. Now, Ai-Chan is both a delightful newly married wife and an active table tennis player. Wish Ai-Chan and Chiang a wonderful marriage and look forwards to their performance in 2020 Tokyo Olympics!

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
As nice as it sounds for now Fukuhara moved to germany and is running the house. Also I really hope to see japanese team in this composition in Tokyo: Ishikawa Kasumi, Ito Mima and Hirano Miu

There are many other young good players. Hina HIYATA is the most promising of them all.
but Hitomi SATO, Yui HAMAMOTO, Kyoka KATO, and many other I forget are still very young and can rise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
Of course there are, but those 3 are my favourite :). Hirano and Ishikawa so fast and aggresive with cold murderer eyes during the game :D and very calm Ito. Also it would mean that I have signed by the olympian (Hirano) volume of shounen raketto (can't use katakana and kanji on the phone). I belive it is volume 4 where she also gave an interview. But let's stop here before we hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
As much as I would love to have Ai in 2020, but I don't think she will make it.
Japan is very good with prodigies, and the 2 15/16 years old are already top level players.
in 4 years time, they will very possibly be 1 and 2, with the likes of the older Ai and Ishikawi at 3 and 4

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
I think Ishikawa will still be 1st. She is still motivated for olympics in Tokyo and she is senpai for younger players, so she will have her pride to defend.

I think that japanese team will be much stronger with reliable senpai during olympics. Just like Ai Fukuhara suprised almsot everone during Rio, I think that Kasumi Ishikawa will step up her game during Tokyo olympics