Some Jugaad Training from Belarus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Here is a video from a coaching seminar. It is in Russian, but summary is the following. There is a well known trainer for table tennis -- a wheel for practicing topspin shots. You hit a wheel with your racket trying to spin it, so you learn the proper contact with the ball. A coach from Belarus proposes to interleave training on the wheel with multi-ball. So first you make a shot on the wheel, making sure you had the proper contact, then the coach feeds you one ball so you immediately practice that contact on the ball. Then again you strike the wheel, then the ball. The point is that you immediately translate the contact on the wheel to striking the ball. And the wheel gives you immediate feedback on the type of contact you make. You can see a lot of demonstrations. He proposes to make wheels out of foam rubber so you can use your main racket without destroying the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Putting potentially legitimate coaching maneuvers in the same category as self hit rollers or table dropshots is quite insulting, don't you think? ;)

The original meaning of the word is "hack" or "lifehack". The guy in the video is obviously hacking the training process by introducing some innovation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The original meaning of the word is "hack" or "lifehack". The guy in the video is obviously hacking the training process by introducing some innovation.

I wish I was a memes guy. I would probably generate a new meme for every archo post that missed the point.

This is an excellent example of Jugaad and I looking for sponges large enough for me to buy and try it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I cannot imagine that this can be helpful for advanced players. Those rolls are a great help for beginners and coaches should definitely use them there, no doubt, but not sure about a higher level. But it could be worth the try, therefore good video.

In the larger scheme of things, we are mostly beginners here :). Would love to try this foam wheel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I cannot imagine that this can be helpful for advanced players. Those rolls are a great help for beginners and coaches should definitely use them there, no doubt, but not sure about a higher level. But it could be worth the try, therefore good video.

The kid with the best backhand in my club was already over 2000 when I gave him a ball with a metal string through the middle to improve his backhand brush spin. His backhand is amazingly spinny and he will always tell the story of how that tool helped him practice hitting the ball anywhere he was.

The thing about the roll is that it fixes the biggest problem I have with my wheel - I can't use my main paddle on it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl