Mens Table Tennis World Cup Invitations Announced

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Content from http://matthetherington.blogspot.com/2011/09/invitations-announced-for-leibherr-mens.html

Invitations Announced for Leibherr Men's World Cup 2011

Below are the invitations to the Leibherr Men's World Cup 2011 from the ITTF website. This year's world cup will be a clash of the titans. As the article on ITTF outlines Wang Hao and Vladimir Samsonov have both won the World Cup title an astounding 3 times, just one less than the record held by Ma Lin who has won the prestigious event a record 4 times. Timo of course has won the event twice and Zhang Jike the reigning World Champion is likely to make a performance also. Either way with a class list of invites like this it promises to be an incredible event!

7287.jpg

Wang Hao will content the record for 4 World Cup wins
Image Courtesy of The New York Sun Online​

Liebherr Men’s World Cup: Wang Hao (CHN), Zhang Jike (CHN), Timo Boll (GER), Ko Lai Chak (HKG), Jun Mizutani (JPN), Vladimir Samsonov (BLR), Joo Se Hyuk (KOR), Chuang Chih-Yuan (TPE), Dimitrij Ovtcharov (GER), Oh Sang Eun (KOR), Gao Ning (SIN), Seiya Kishikawa (JPN), Tang Peng (HKG), Adrien Mattenet (FRA)

One further place is to be nominated by the host association

Intercontinental Cup: Gustavo Tsuboi (BRA), Ahmed Al Saleh (EGY), William Henzell (AUS), Pradeeban Peter-Paul (CAN)

Best of luck of course to our Oceania Cup winner and qualifier for the Intercontinental Cup William Henzell, would be great to see him win and get a shot at competing with the best in the main World Cup Event. Good Luck William!

henzell.jpg

William Henzell, Oceania's Contender in the Intercontinental Cup
Image Courtesy of Pingskills​

The winner of the Intercontinental Cup qualifies for the Liebherr Men’s World Cup

Reserves: Michael Maze (DEN), Alexey Smirnov (RUS)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Wow - world #2 Ma Long isn't invited! He would be my vote to win the whole thing. No doubt we'll see his ranking go down after this tournament, as he won't be able to compete in it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Wiwa I don't think that Ma Long is better than Zhang but I am a Ma Long like you maybe a Maze fan?
As a result I want him (=Ma Long :D ) to win ofc

PS: In my opinion Ma Long Zhang and Wang Hao (and Ma Lin on his good days;like China Open) are equal. Daily form decides, nothing more

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@Wiwa I don't think that Ma Long is better than Zhang but I am a Ma Long like you maybe a Maze fan?
As a result I want him (=Ma Long :D ) to win ofc

PS: In my opinion Ma Long Zhang and Wang Hao (and Ma Lin on his good days;like China Open) are equal. Daily form decides, nothing more

I absolutely agree ;) It is daily form and opponent that can make it seem different, but the overall quality difference is practically zero. Yes I am a big fan of Maze, unfortunately he has been out for so long now, I really really hope he can catch maybe like 3 or 4 years without injuries in top form now to show what he is capable of.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wow - world #2 Ma Long isn't invited! He would be my vote to win the whole thing. No doubt we'll see his ranking go down after this tournament, as he won't be able to compete in it.

I agree, why not Ma Long. By the way, Ma Long is ranked #1 right now. So the #1 ranked player in the world is not invited. It is a hard choice though. Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao are really all so close. I do think that Ma Long and Zhang Jike are a notch above Wang Hao though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Ma's ranking isn't going to be going down after this tournament. He's a good 70 points ahead of Wang Hao and Wang is not going to be playing the top players over and over. The most Wang can win atm would be from beating Ma Long and seeing as he can't play Ma he'll win his usually 20 or so points from the tournament 50 tops if by some calculation they up the amount.

You don't lose point for not attending a tournament you only lose when you do attend and lose a match.

Does anyone know why he's not playing in this tournament? Has he injured himself?