Trying to find an inverted rubber for a modern defender? What should I go for?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I've been playing with a cream transcend 2.0 on both sides and an ALL blade. I want to try and get a rubber to 1.8 roughly but not sure what you guys would recommend? I really enjoy watching videos of attackers vs modern defense and how they chop the ball from far away or quickly switch to attacking with top spin, it's awesome. I would need to practice it more but it does look fun to me, would need to practice that far from the table chop though. What rubber could I got for and should it be 1.5 or like 1.8? I have searched and seen people either recommend Nittaku Moristo DF, Tackiness chop 2, or Yanus DF oh and I've heard of Victas VS 401 or 402, maybe rakza 7 soft, I would like for the rubber to not be too slow since I also like attacking when the chance arises, or just top spinning as I labeled the rakza 7 soft so I can chop and top spin even if it feels completely out of place in this post ;). I know the rubbers tend to be slow, I wouldn't know which to go for honestly or if there are other options. I have heard of long and short pip rubbers but I don't think they are for me since I like having the same rubber on both sides. Could I still play modern defense with inverted rubbers? I know people like Muramatsu have short pimples on one side but inverted on his forehand. My strongest hand is backhand and have the most control with it and power. Help for my next rubber would be a big help thanks for everything.

Edit: I was thinking Mark V 1.8 could work since it's slower at this point or a variation of Mark V. The Vega Japan is also on my radar but on a All-Def blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
What's your rating?

Under 2000? Then inverted will be fine! You can chop with tenergy in 1.8 or the FX series. The old school chop rubbers (tackiness drive, butterfly chop 2, juic 999 elite defense, etc.) aren't really tensored, so they have much less catapult in them. Reflectoid in 2.0 even.

Tenergy
Reflectoid
Juic 999 Elite defense
Tackiness chop 1/2
Tackiness drive
Tibhar Super Defense
Spinlord Marder 1/2/3
Xiom rubbers are ok, but kind of heavy if using inverted on both sides of an over-sized blade

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What's your rating?

Under 2000? Then inverted will be fine! You can chop with tenergy in 1.8 or the FX series. The old school chop rubbers (tackiness drive, butterfly chop 2, juic 999 elite defense, etc.) aren't really tensored, so they have much less catapult in them. Reflectoid in 2.0 even.

Tenergy
Reflectoid
Juic 999 Elite defense
Tackiness chop 1/2
Tackiness drive
Tibhar Super Defense
Spinlord Marder 1/2/3
Xiom rubbers are ok, but kind of heavy if using inverted on both sides of an over-sized blade

Yea I'm under 2000, I wish I could try the tenergy to see what the hype is about and see it being tossed everywhere from offensive to chopping, sadly my limit to spend is 50 for each rubber even tho this month is my birthday :D. I can check out some of the rubbers you've listed, thanks for the reply.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Yea I'm under 2000, I wish I could try the tenergy to see what the hype is about and see it being tossed everywhere from offensive to chopping, sadly my limit to spend is 50 for each rubber even tho this month is my birthday :D. I can check out some of the rubbers you've listed, thanks for the reply.

The tibhar mx-p or el-p or whatever other letters they use, that series of rubbers, is also pretty good for cheaper alternatives to tenergy. Not quite the same in characteristics, but still useful.

I think the donic stuff, like bluefire and JP, aren't spinny enough compared to tenergy or "chop" rubbers. They do have nice rebounds to them, although that doesn't usually match the style of most choppers.

TT11 has a sale going now on their weekly specials:

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-rakza-x-soft

That rubber would work pretty well also. Actually any of them on sale, basically!

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/special-offers

They have the victas, spinlord, tsp, etc. -- good stuff for choppers! Only 1 hour left on the sale! (not affiliated <----)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The tibhar mx-p or el-p or whatever other letters they use, that series of rubbers, is also pretty good for cheaper alternatives to tenergy. Not quite the same in characteristics, but still useful.

I think the donic stuff, like bluefire and JP, aren't spinny enough compared to tenergy or "chop" rubbers. They do have nice rebounds to them, although that doesn't usually match the style of most choppers.

TT11 has a sale going now on their weekly specials:

That rubber would work pretty well also. Actually any of them on sale, basically!

They have the victas, spinlord, tsp, etc. -- good stuff for choppers! Only 1 hour left on the sale! (not affiliated <----)

Sadly I didn't get a chance to look through the sale, but I am actually thinking about getting the Xiom Vega Japan on an ALL blade or Def blade depends since I've read quite a bit of people are using it for modern defense even in 2.0. I see some online retailers have the Xiom Vega Japan in 1.8 but it isn't listed as an option as 1.8 in their website? It's listed in tt-japan and some uk website. Is this an option though? I'm still checking up and going to see what people say.

Last edited: