Ex-pro needs advice for equipment

HRM

This user has no status.

HRM

This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello all ,

It's been over 15 years now that I haven't had a racket in my hand .
I used to play in a different league from 1990to2001 ,but I started study again and after that life got better of me so very unfortunately couldn't carry on playing and gave up every thing .
Any way , life story short , my racket was Gergely tampca 5000 with Sriver2.1(D13-L) forehand and Ekrips (also Butterfly ) for the backhand(I also used Mark V for backhand sometime ), I used to take the sponges off after every training sessions and put them back start of new sessions to get better speed.

I still have same paddle (blade/rubber) Tamca5000 but the sponges are dead now as you can imagine .
I know every thing has been changed since those days and no one taking sponge off now days , I am going to start playing for couple of times a week so wondering what racket should I use to be close to one I used to use ? is my blade still usable now days or I need also to buy that as well ?

I appreciate some advice from you good people .

Regards

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Probably you should keep the blade. If you played at such a high level with it, you will end up wanting something like it. So, what you have is as good as anything like it.

Not sure what rubbers would be best for you, but a safe bet is that T05 will be good for FH and if you wanted a different Tenergy version for BH, T80, T64 and T05FX could all be fine. T64 and T80 give you a little more speed and a little less spin than T05. They also have a lower throw angle than T05. T05FX is a little softer and has more control than T05. But if you want maximum spin from both wings with that fast blade, just use T05 on both sides.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:

HRM

This user has no status.

HRM

This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello Carl , thanks for the advice ,much appreciated .
The blade is very fast as you know (as I was at the time not sure about today tbh) ,having said that I 'm going to need something fast with maximum speed with high spin range for FH / but wouldn't mind to get something with a bit more control for BH .
Tbf I know nothing about the brand you mentioned ,but understood that you've had a very good guess about my style after read a bit about T05 .
I'm thinking about T05 for FH and T05FX for BH , do you think it's going to be good combination for start or Shall I go for T64FH/T05FXBH , I guess after 2/3 weeks I'll know more about rubbers .
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello Carl , thanks for the advice ,much appreciated .
The blade is very fast as you know (as I was at the time not sure about today tbh) ,having said that I 'm going to need something fast with maximum speed with high spin range for FH / but wouldn't mind to get something with a bit more control for BH .
Tbf I know nothing about the brand you mentioned ,but understood that you've had a very good guess about my style after read a bit about T05 .
I'm thinking about T05 for FH and T05FX for BH , do you think it's going to be good combination for start or Shall I go for T64FH/T05FXBH , I guess after 2/3 weeks I'll know more about rubbers .
Cheers

I think either T05 FH + T05FX BH or T64 FH + T05FX BH will be fine.

T64 on FH would be faster with less spin and lower throw than T05.

And the blade will give you enough speed. That blade is as fast as any around.

Reactions: HRM and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes. That would be the right beginning guess. I would add that just going T05 both sides is not bad either. A lot of top players do that also.

That was my first suggestion. But it sounds
Like he wants something with a little extra control for BH.

....having said that I 'm going to need something fast with maximum speed with high spin range for FH / but wouldn't mind to get something with a bit more control for BH.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRM and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
What Carl and Baal have purposed are good suggestions if you do not mind the cost. Butterfly Tenergy 05 FH and Tenergy 05FX BH. Tenergy 05 FX have round about the same throw angle as Tenergy 64, but it has more control and is a lighter rubber compared to the T64.

Last edited:

HRM

This user has no status.

HRM

This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks everyone for the help.
It feels so good to be back after that many years. I'm going to get the rubbers & having my first session after almost 15yrs tomorrow afternoon.
I haven't got a clue how bad I'll be after that long thought :)
Cheers

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks everyone for the help.
It feels so good to be back after that many years. I'm going to get the rubbers & having my first session after almost 15yrs tomorrow afternoon.
I haven't got a clue how bad I'll be after that long thought :)
Cheers

The muscle memory is still there. The refined touch and timing will be off. Much of the skill will come back over a few months. But your body already knows good strokes and footwork. Starting with that is a big step. Have fun on the adventure.

Reactions: Suga D and HRM

HRM

This user has no status.

HRM

This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks Mark, Certainly it takes some time of course .
I don't know about forum rules, am I allowed to get advice about where to shop, from UK/Europe people ? or is it against rules?
Cheers

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have seen several ex national players come back to tt after 10 yrs + out of the sport.

Man, it is rough coming back, timing and touch is so off they seem to miss almost everything important in a match. The are mostly in position, they make the correct shot selection, but their touch and impact timing are not there.

This is a real bummer, an ex 2500+ level player is now 1600 to 1700.

It gets better and it comes back, but there are new adjustments. All the technique and impact for a 38mm ball and speed glued to the hilt rubbers are starkly different. Some never adjust, some do.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and HRM
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Mark, Certainly it takes some time of course .
I don't know about forum rules, am I allowed to get advice about where to shop, from UK/Europe people ? or is it against rules?
Cheers

Who is Mark? [emoji2]

Totally fine to ask about where to buy equipment. I'll let guys from your region chime in. But in UK I think Bribar is one. In Europe tabletennis11 and dandoy seem to both have good deals.

Guys from U.K. Will probably have the most useful info for you.

HRM

This user has no status.

HRM

This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sorry Carl ! :) hahaha
I have my friend Mark with me watching Chelsea/Man U match :))) sometimes a brain do strange things :)
I know about Bribar ,they're good but thought there must be couple more also .hopefully some London/UK base player come up here .
thanks Der_echte , I know it will be very hard with that long time off the table & know I will never be same player, that's a fact. But just trying to get back to do a little sport and have a bit of fun, however I try to improve and get back to some level and adjust accordingly as much as it's in my power and my body let me to . Cheers

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
After a ten year layoff Jim Butler walked into the club to play. He was somewhere between 1800-2000 that day. Two days later he comes back, that day he was about 2200. For about a week or two he mostly practices with me and a small group of other guys in the club who are in the 2000-2200 range. By then it is clear he is completely bored with us (but being nice, he would still hit with all of us, still does, actually, although he has not been around quite as much lately). Within a month, he was --- well, really good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Just asking, if the speed-glued Sriver is so good, nobody tried to boost it? Maybe it won't be as good as a sg-ed one, but it worth a try. Unfortunately Sriver costs the same or more than some very good rubbers today (Evo series, V>15, Bluefires new Gewo rubbers, etc...).

Good question, has anyone tried it? Altough I doubt it'd be as effective as toluene filled speed glues.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
if the speed-glued Sriver is so good, nobody tried to boost it?

The same could probably be said about Bryce, Coppa, etc.
Shortly after the speed glue ban many professionals preferred boosted "classics" to anything tensor out at that time.
But tenergy changed that.