Need Help in 3rd Ball Attack Against Long Pimp

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello good people. Hope everyone is good. Today I need help from you to play against long pimp. After playing and googling, I know something
about the long pimp defensing players. But I am suffering with the 3rd ball after his receiving with the pimple rubber. First I have to know, what type of ball is coming after his receiving. So here are the questions.

1. If I serve short underpin & he pushes the ball with long pimp, what type of spin will come ?
2. If I serve short no spin & he pushes the ball, what type of spin will come ?
3. If I serve long underspin/side underspin & he chops the ball,what type of spin will come ?
4. If I serve long no spin fast serveice & he chops the ball,what type of spin will come ?
5. If I serve top spin & he chops the ball,what type of spin will come ?

Thanks in ADVANCE. Hope you guys can help me with your knowledge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you have a link for the article? I read it years ago. But I am about to start teaching and don't have time to find and post it.

I confess, this is pretty funny. From tapatalk I could not see the link. I checked, I still can't see the link. But from the site, off my computer I can see the link. hahaha.

Sometimes on tapatalk when you can't see something and you quote, the invisible text appears. It did not work this time. But it is here as plain as day. :) It is an excellent article.

This user has no status.
Long pips (LP) always reverses spin. It doesnt matter if its long, short or if they return your ball with a chop, push, loop or block. It always reverses the spin. Therefore:

1. Topspin becomes backspin
2. No spin will remain no spin
3. Side spin will also remain side spin so just perform a sidespin return
4. Combination spins e:g Side+Backspin will become side+top and vice versa when returned

This makes LPs very predictable. Do note that it is important to win the point early (by 3rd or 5th ball) as the longer the rally, the less control you will have over the course of the rally which will give the LP an advantage as you now have an extra mental load on the type of incoming spin.

Your strategy depends on your own and your opponent's playstyle. I personally like to categorise LP users into 2 categories. LP blockers and LP choppers.

My definition of LP blockers are players who play mostly like normal inverted rubber users but their BH is not as good so they use LP to compensate and provide a breathing room during a rally. They pretty much just FH loop everything and take advantage of your seizure when they return with their LP

LP choppers on the other hand are players who actively use LP's on both wings and will often twiddle. Their style involves winning points when you make a mistake by misreading incoming spin and taking advantage when your return is too easy. Unlike LP blockers, LP choppers tend to be really really good at chopping the ball. Making the incoming ball low and fast and thus difficult to attack even if you know what the incoming spin is.

If your playing against LP blockers, serve a no spin or backspin serve to their LP side and FH topspin the 3rd ball with a lot of speed and power. Try to avoid their inverted rubber side (Usually FH) as they most likely will be better than you and can out topspin you.

If your playing against LP choppers, you can follow the above mentioned strategy. If the opponent is extremely skilled at returning the ball low and fast till the point it becomes difficult to perform a topspin return (as it might go into the net), then you might want to topspin serve to the LP which will cause your 3rd ball to be a backspin and you can safely loop it without worrying about the ball flying out of the table (assuming its the incoming ball is very low).

Just remember that heavy spin is your enemy. LP users cannot generate much spin on their LP side but they can use yours. Therefore too much spin is detrimental to you if you cant finish the point. Hence you should try to emphasis speed and variation of spin instead of trying to outspin your opponent.

This is just a general but brief guide. So take it with a bit of salt. Hope this helps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Long pips (LP) always reverses spin. It doesnt matter if its long, short or if they return your ball with a chop, push, loop or block. It always reverses the spin. Therefore:

1. Topspin becomes backspin
2. No spin will remain no spin
3. Side spin will also remain side spin so just perform a sidespin return
4. Combination spins e:g Side+Backspin will become side+top and vice versa when returned

This makes LPs very predictable. Do note that it is important to win the point early (by 3rd or 5th ball) as the longer the rally, the less control you will have over the course of the rally which will give the LP an advantage as you now have an extra mental load on the type of incoming spin.

Your strategy depends on your own and your opponent's playstyle. I personally like to categorise LP users into 2 categories. LP blockers and LP choppers.

My definition of LP blockers are players who play mostly like normal inverted rubber users but their BH is not as good so they use LP to compensate and provide a breathing room during a rally. They pretty much just FH loop everything and take advantage of your seizure when they return with their LP

LP choppers on the other hand are players who actively use LP's on both wings and will often twiddle. Their style involves winning points when you make a mistake by misreading incoming spin and taking advantage when your return is too easy. Unlike LP blockers, LP choppers tend to be really really good at chopping the ball. Making the incoming ball low and fast and thus difficult to attack even if you know what the incoming spin is.

If your playing against LP blockers, serve a no spin or backspin serve to their LP side and FH topspin the 3rd ball with a lot of speed and power. Try to avoid their inverted rubber side (Usually FH) as they most likely will be better than you and can out topspin you.

If your playing against LP choppers, you can follow the above mentioned strategy. If the opponent is extremely skilled at returning the ball low and fast till the point it becomes difficult to perform a topspin return (as it might go into the net), then you might want to topspin serve to the LP which will cause your 3rd ball to be a backspin and you can safely loop it without worrying about the ball flying out of the table (assuming its the incoming ball is very low).

Just remember that heavy spin is your enemy. LP users cannot generate much spin on their LP side but they can use yours. Therefore too much spin is detrimental to you if you cant finish the point. Hence you should try to emphasis speed and variation of spin instead of trying to outspin your opponent.

This is just a general but brief guide. So take it with a bit of salt. Hope this helps

This is mostly true, but can be a bit simplistic against better players who can manipulate spin (not as much as with inverted, of course) by varying grip pressure, aggressiveness of the push etc. So suddenly you get dead ball instead of backspin and other fun returns. It helps to be able to read spin on the ball by it's trajectory, bounce and so on, in addition to above rules.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Long pips (LP) always reverses spin.

Watch what you say.

Long pips reverses MOST of the time. For long pips, reversing spin is the most consistent thing to do, just like how with inverted, the easiest shot is the one where you return the same spin back to your opponent (topspin goes back as topspin, underspin goes back as underspin).

Also, you should definitely check how bendy and how long the pips are. The bendiness and the length affect how easy spin reversal.

Good long pip players can vary the spin a little bit, especially if given a no spin ball. Also, bad long pip players who don't know what they're doing might do this accidentally, so watch out. This makes long pips a little bit frustrating, since you still have to read the pips a little.

I've seen long pip players push underspin back as underspin (I was like, "what the hell" and pushed it back safely the first time I experienced it), so just be a little careful.

As for strategies against the long pips player, it really depends on you and your opponent's level.

Just make sure you plan out your serve and attack ahead of time, so you don't get surprised.

SilentRain explained a lot already.

My Tips (you have to be good at looping for these):

Against long pips blockers, usually a heavy topspin will destroy them.
Against long pips choppers,

...if they're not good enough and you're good enough, a fast long loop cross-court and a shorter loop down-the-line will usually win the point.
...also a sidespin loop also works if you manage to do it.

...if they're good enough, that means they are used to being attacked hard, so be precise and loop big angles, and then loop hard and fast in the other direction.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hahaha a sponged lp player can give back a different spin and one cannot say with certainty that such and such ball will come back as xxx. Sponged lp can kill spin, so go ahead and swing away based on the ALWAYS Reversal theory...

You might find D urselvz on the wrong end of a chicken and beer hustle. :D

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
First of all, there are different levels and styles of long pips users just as there are different level and styles of inverted users.

I tell people all the time that TT is too complicated to learn if you try to do everything at once. So don't.

My advice in my first post was to OP to get someone to block off the bounce. Whenever you are playing a different style, find the lowest level player with that style or equipment that you know and play and practice with them first. That eliminates the issues with level and let's you face the equipment or style at a basic level and learn.

If you had problems reading serves, I wouldn't start you off with trying to read Ma Long's serves. And I definitely wouldn't start you off trying to read AND return them at the same time.

If someone is coming to the forum this confused, we need to give him the basics. There is more than enough time for the rug to be pulled out from underneath him by experienced pips users.

The only thing that doesn't lie is the reaction of the ball to your racket. There are different kinds of pips and sponges. All I do is show people the basic theory and tell them to trust the response of the ball on their racket and use it to play shots with Good margin first and power shots layer.

But you don't start people of with calculus. You can let them know it exists but it won't help until they have learned basic math and all the other stuff in between in this case.

In fact, other than the fact that he might not enjoy losing, if OP was to play this guy everyday, eventually he would figure it out. It's just hard to do when you are trying to win