Why use Hurricane 3??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hurricane 3 is one hard rubber to use.
Hit the ball slowly and it will go slow, add some real power and the ball will go blazing fast !
Spin the ball epicly and a beautiful rainbow appear on the table !
Don't forget about the great short game it provides !
With this dynamic range of gear, pro player could adjust their speed and spin accordingly, therefore do anything they want. Now thats control ;)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Exactly..Yosua is quite right there Moriguchi. The rubber has many gears, but you need power to realize it's full potential. Though it provides excellent touches for your short game, it also has speed when it comes to full out offence. Whenever amateurs use this rubber, they will ponder what is so special about this rubber. But then again as you would know by now, the national chinese team uses a different type of hurricane, not the commercial ones that you get from the normal TT shops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Why would everyone have to use tenergy? I just dont get it. And they wouldn't play any faster with tenergys. Plus, the pros rubbers are very heavily tuned so there's plenty enough speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'd like to answer both questions here. The first one regarding H3. I assume you mean DHS H3 Neo Blue Sponge. The first thing about this rubber is that it's much harder in sponge and topsheet and that it has a tacky topsheet. The second thing about this rubber is that it produces more gears than any other rubber out there excluding maybe the skyline neo rubbers. I've personally never seen a rubber to produce spin and speed on virtually every shot when you need or want it. The Chinese prefer these rubbers because you have much more control and you can feel the ball much easier than in softer rubbers. In comparison to Tenergy it produces the same amount of spin, and only slightly less speed on the ball (remember rubbers only produce about 30 percent max speed to the ball it's really from the blade). Tenergy's topsheet is much less tacky and has much less feeling to it when using max or even the 1.9 sponges.

Now the question about Tenergy is pretty quite obvious. The Europeans and the other Asian players are primarily lower in technique level. With the Euro/Japan stroke out there Tenergy produces a higher throw and a bit more speed to the ball which helps them compensate for the Chinese forehand. The other obvious choice is that it is the closest to a Speed Glue effect in that it catapults the ball when you hit it. The problems lie in that Tenergy has less gears than the Chinese Rubbers. So it's typically an all or nothing deal with these rubbers. If you can't get in a strong shot you're mostly lobbing the ball or making mistakes with it. Chinese rubbers have a much lower percentage of this happening.

Hopefully this answers the questions thoroughly.

says how to start a thread?
Hurricane 3 NEO some of the best rubbers i ever used and i feel it is better than Tenergy as i used both rubbers on forehand before.Slow at slow shots, superbly fast at fast shots. The 3rd ball attack is just awesome, however it lacks power when you are far away from the table. Hurricane 3 NEO though has a 39degrees sponge, it has a amazing high throw, good spin and a lot of control which is what most table tennis players wants, speed, spin and control :)

Ok so basically Hurricane 3 Neos is only worth it if u know how to properly use it. Im using it and the sponge is way hard and very hard to play with but i am strong enough to drive the ball to make it a normal pace but it seems so slow. I feel there is not even that much spin when i loop because i am used to tenergy were the sponge is a little softer and more springy but with hurricane i have to really on my stroke and on only the topsheet....any thoughts on how to use it better??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The easiest way probably just change the rubber other than H3 Neo. It just like for me, I just can't play with any Euro rubber at all, with those soft sponge, on my Forehand. If you ask me, because it just too bouncy to me.

But if you still want to use H3 or other hard chinese rubber, then you had to change your stroke. I think that's the only way. You see most of the Chinese National player either use hurricane or skylin that has a hard sponge. Because they just rely on their arm's power with the stroke. But you may find the women team use more other kind of euro rubber, because they play differently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
H3 NEO is an excellent rubber for my backhand. That has nothing to do why pros would like it though. Simply a good OFF rubber with excellent control on the BH wing.
The Chinese pros don't use that on their backhands. They typically use a Euro/Jap rubber T05, T64, Acuda, Boost TX etc etc. You want a high throw for your backhand so that you can instigate the attack better. You want a lower throw on your forehand so that you can continue to attack the ball making it harder for your opponent to counter attack. The lower they have to get the harder it is for them which is why a lot of Euro players must start lobbing or chopping when they get pushed back from a Chinese attack.

@ Moriguchi - If you are having trouble with getting spin and speed on the ball there are most likely two culprits. Your blade may be too slow typically Chinese rubbers require Off to Off+ blades to help produce speed. Remember as I've said before only about 20-30% of the speed on a ball is from the rubber itself the majority comes from the sweet spot of the blade.

The second would be your stroke. A lot of people have the misconception that brushing the ball gives you more spin, but that's rarely the case. Whether you brush the ball or let the ball dig into the sponge you're going to get approximately the same amount of spin. The difference lies in the speed of the ball. The faster the ball is moving the more spin there seems to be on the ball. The reality is that the spin is typically the same and grows more and more as you counter the ball, the reason why the ball can be deceptive is that you only have 1-2 seconds to read where the ball is going and in our sport 1mm makes all the difference.

People who brush the ball typically miss their shots more often because they're trying to hit the top part of the ball or around 1:00-1:30 on the ball. If the ball is high enough over the net you can get lucky in producing a nice looking loop because it will shoot downward on their side and therefore bounce higher seeming like it's more spin. It is actually better to hit the ball around the 2:30-3:30 areas of the ball with a 30-45 degree closed angle when looping. This produces great spin and most importantly great speed on the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Funny that this topic comes up as I just put a brand new sheet of H3 NEO National team version on my blade today. The sheet I have specifically states that the sponge is 37 degree hardness which is a lot softer than the 42 degree hardness of the commercial version. In June I had switched from Tenergy 64 on my forehand to Skyline 3. That took some transition. It took me about a month to really be comfortable using the Skyline.

I guess, partly because I am now used to the Skyline, it did not take me any time to get used to H3 NEO. The version I got came from someone who goes to China regularly and has trained where the Chinese team trains. This Hurricane feels pretty close to Tenergy in speed, it is less bouncy but when you dig into it the ball goes. I would still flip to use Tenergy for smashes because the spring sponge is great for that. But otherwise it compares pretty favorably with Tenergy. And I feel like I am getting plenty of speed and loads of spin from it. So, how the rubber feels to play with, it might depend on what version of Hurricane you get.

But it is true, the Chinese players are tuning their rubbers. And I think that Hurricane on Speed Glue is probably pretty outrageous. So, if you think about it, the Chinese team might be using a different version of Hurricane and they might be doing something similar to speed glue. It is hard to argue with what the top Chinese players do with H3 or Skyline. But it might be a different product than the Hurricane you can buy for $20.00.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, two more things on this subject.

I have a friend who had been playing with Hurricane 3 right from when he started and he recently switched to Euro style rubber. I asked him why out of curiosity and he told me that he had developed some bad habits with the Hurricane because of how much the tackiness of the rubber does for you. I thought, that is interesting. I had been using Euro rubbers (Tenergy) on my forehand until last June. In June I switched to Skyline to try it out. It took me a long time to get used to certain things about using it. Particularly in attacking underspin there were bad habits I had as a result of using Euro rubbers that I feel switching to DHS tacky rubber corrected. So for someone who has been using Chinese tacky rubber for a long time, you probably get into different bad habits and lapses in technique than if you are using smooth, softer Euro rubber. Probably, in the end, developing good technique so that you can use either well would be ideal for improving your game. I know I do not have any trouble adjusting when someone gives me a racket with Euro style rubber on it.

When I put my new H3 NEO on the other day I did some tests with it. I was bouncing the ball on it in different ways and comparing the results to the Tenergy side. When I just dropped the ball on the rubber to let it bounce from about 8 inches above the rubber, there was almost no bounce. When I did this with the Tenergy there was a lot of bounce in comparison. When I threw the ball at the racket from an angle so that the ball would go straight up with spin, on the H3 side, if I threw the ball moderately, not too hard it spun well but did not bounce up too high. When I did this with the Tenergy side I got the same basic spin but a lot more bounce. When I threw the ball hard, H3 had more spin and just as much bounce as Tenergy!!!! I think this is why H3 NEO has so many gears.

Now I know that this sheet I was given came from where the Chinese team trains, so I don't know how it would compare to what they are selling. And I know people are saying that H3 NEO has a 39 degree hardness. The sponge on this sheet specifically says it is 37 degrees and it feels softer than any DHS rubber I have felt in the past. It actually feels a lot like Tenergy 05 in hardness but the topsheet is softer than the Tenergy topsheet. That is also different than anything I have felt from a DHS rubber.

Last edited:
The Chinese pros don't use that on their backhands. They typically use a Euro/Jap rubber T05, T64, Acuda, Boost TX etc etc. You want a high throw for your backhand so that you can instigate the attack better. You want a lower throw on your forehand so that you can continue to attack the ball making it harder for your opponent to counter attack. The lower they have to get the harder it is for them which is why a lot of Euro players must start lobbing or chopping when they get pushed back from a Chinese attack.

@ Moriguchi - If you are having trouble with getting spin and speed on the ball there are most likely two culprits. Your blade may be too slow typically Chinese rubbers require Off to Off+ blades to help produce speed. Remember as I've said before only about 20-30% of the speed on a ball is from the rubber itself the majority comes from the sweet spot of the blade.

The second would be your stroke. A lot of people have the misconception that brushing the ball gives you more spin, but that's rarely the case. Whether you brush the ball or let the ball dig into the sponge you're going to get approximately the same amount of spin. The difference lies in the speed of the ball. The faster the ball is moving the more spin there seems to be on the ball. The reality is that the spin is typically the same and grows more and more as you counter the ball, the reason why the ball can be deceptive is that you only have 1-2 seconds to read where the ball is going and in our sport 1mm makes all the difference.

People who brush the ball typically miss their shots more often because they're trying to hit the top part of the ball or around 1:00-1:30 on the ball. If the ball is high enough over the net you can get lucky in producing a nice looking loop because it will shoot downward on their side and therefore bounce higher seeming like it's more spin. It is actually better to hit the ball around the 2:30-3:30 areas of the ball with a 30-45 degree closed angle when looping. This produces great spin and most importantly great speed on the ball.

It is not my blade for sure. i have a balsa core custom made OFF+++ carbon by BBC. I think dici was right. the hurricane is made for a chinese style loop compared to my European style loop whcih is more meant for a japanese/ european style. Btw the Hurricane is better for flips and smashes because it is less bouncy. With tenergy smashes where quite hard because i felt i had no control.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now that I have used my new Hurricane 3 NEO in a few matches I can say, this is a great rubber for match play. My serves are very spinny. My pushes are very heavy when I want them to be. And Third ball attack or any attack of underspin seems much easier for some reason. Once I am in topspin to topspin exchanges, the H3 NEO does not feel like it loses anything to the Tenergy. And I feel like I have enough power in my own strokes not to notice whether the rubber loses any pace when I am back from the table. So with H3 NEO and an All+ blade I am able to overpower people when I am back from the table or they are.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I go against the grain and use it on BH, 'cause it just isn't right for me on FH. My BH blade speed at impact is good and timing is good, so I can get by with a wide variety of rubbers. I just hate rubberz that are fail in humidity. Again, I am not pro and this thread is about the pros, so good for them if many of them can use H3 Neo on FH, 'cause they are pros. As a very popular Yasaka T-Shirt sez here in Korea, "Yasaka - Table Tennis is my Life" So moar power to the pros.

I can get by with H2 NEO on FH, but the bomb of FH rubbers on the great TBS blade is T05, then there is everything else. BTW, Skyline II on the BH is even more destructive on hte NEXY Spartacus I am testing out, feels OK on the FH wing as well with this blade, which is one level speed (low low end of OFF) then the TBS (pretty much dead center OFF)

Now that I have used my new Hurricane 3 NEO in a few matches I can say, this is a great rubber for match play. My serves are very spinny. My pushes are very heavy when I want them to be. And Third ball attack or any attack of underspin seems much easier for some reason. Once I am in topspin to topspin exchanges, the H3 NEO does not feel like it loses anything to the Tenergy. And I feel like I have enough power in my own strokes not to notice whether the rubber loses any pace when I am back from the table. So with H3 NEO and an All+ blade I am able to overpower people when I am back from the table or they are.
Yet even though the topsheet is tacky and sticky, the sponge is very hard and i get no spin from the sponge like i did with tenergy.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yet even though the topsheet is tacky and sticky, the sponge is very hard and i get no spin from the sponge like i did with tenergy.

What we are using are not the same thing. Even if it says it is the same. Read some of my other posts where I said:

The sponge on mine is 37 degrees. This sheet that I was given feels soft.

The topsheet also feels soft. This sheet feels softer to me than Tenergy.

The sheet was given to me by a friend who goes to China and trains where the Chinese national team trains. This is not something you can buy.