New tenergy 05 set up

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I have had a few hits with a friends racket and have decided that I want a new set up with tenergy 05 on both sides. Problem is that my budget doesn't stretch to the Timo Boll Alc blade that he uses, so I'm looking for an alternative blade that would work well with the 05's. My budget for the blade is £40-60 ish.

From the research I've done I'm thinking of either the butterfly primorac off-, butterfly maze magic, or the Tibhar stratus power wood.

Which of these would you go for, or do you have another suggestion (s)?

Basically any blade will pair well with T05. What is difficult to understand is that, for budget reasons, you pass from TB alc to allwood off- blades.
The question is not if T05 will pair well with Stratus powerwood or Primorac off- : it obviously will pair well. The question is : what to you want/need for your game or your developpement....if you don't answer this question, don't buy.

Reactions: Suga D
says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I used to play a modern defence game but for the last 6 months have been retraining for an allround loop focused game. I've tried numerous rubbers over that time but the 05 stands out to me in terms of its control and looping ability. Of course, I don't know how much of that was down to my friends blade as opposed to the tenergy rubbers...but I just can't justify spending £140ish on the same blade that he has. I believe (hope!) that what I liked about the set-up was primarily the attributes of the rubbers so I'm essentially looking for a cheaper blade alternative that would pair well with the rubbers. The three possible alternative blades that I have picked out where just ones that I've come across within my budget but also within a all+ to off- speed category. Should I not be looking at these categories? What alternatives should I be looking at if the leap from the Timo Boll Alc to allwood off- blades is illogical?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I have had a few hits with a friends racket and have decided that I want a new set up with tenergy 05 on both sides. Problem is that my budget doesn't stretch to the Timo Boll Alc blade that he uses, so I'm looking for an alternative blade that would work well with the 05's. My budget for the blade is £40-60 ish.

From the research I've done I'm thinking of either the butterfly primorac off-, butterfly maze magic, or the Tibhar stratus power wood.

Maybe keep in mind that the blades you have mentioned are all-wood blades whereas the Boll ALC is a composite with arylate carbon and the feeling you'll get with those all-wood blades will be slightly but noticeable different.

If you're looking for a closer feeling to the Boll ALC something like the Ovtcharov True Carbon would come much closer.
Yinhe T8
Sanwei HC1
could also be in that price range.
The Xiom stradivarius would also come close but it's a little more expensive. But i've seen it on Sale for around EUR 70,- €.

But on the other hand the T05 certainly would also feel good on an all-wood blade like the Tibhar Stratus Powerwood it just wouldn't feel like on your mate's Boll ALC...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartMarquis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

I agree with what has been said about chosing all wood (and even the slow-ish Primorac) over an ALC blade.

Alternatives have been mentioned, since I don´t know about the pricing in your country I´d like to throw in Tibhar Drinkhall Power Spin and GEWO Force ARC. Generally, the Yinhe stuff already mentioned is of good quality for very little money, you´d just have to find out which one equals ALC.

You might also want to try finding a used ALC.

And keep in mind that if you cannot spend such money ONCE on a blade that can last literally a lifetime, you will have to spend extra money every time you go for a new pair of t05. If you do not specifically NEED this rubber think about cheaper alternatives like XIOM Vega Pro or Tibhar Evolution MX-P/MX-S. They are not the same, but absolutely good enough and quite similar in the way they play.

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Thanks guys. When I originally posted I wasn't so much looking for a timo boll Alc alternative, just a blade that would work well with 05 rubbers. I want good control with the blade hence why I was probably leaning towards an allwood blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well in this case all of the three blades you've mentioned should be fine.
But maybe just keep in mind that the rubbers feel slightly different on any of those blades.
Many people call the blade the soul of a paddle. [For a reason]
The blade has a whole lot to do with the feeling you get from the rubber.

Last edited: