Training unit

This user has no status.
Hello, Im currently playing at amateur TT club and we dont have coach. So I want to ask, how should our Training unit look like. Nowadays we just warm up (forehand/backhand counterhit) and then, for 2 hours or so, play matches. And thats our whole training unit, which is not very good in my opinion.

This is very important to me, as I'd like to start coaching (not only our club members) and also suggest our members how to train and improve.

Thanks for every reply.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Here is Richard Prause talking about how to design a training session:

At PingSkills (pingskills.com) there is a section called "52 week training plan" where they have 52 training sections designed for each specific purpose. A typical section consists of warmup with FH-to-FH and BH-to-BH play, sometimes pushing. Then regular footwork, like one BH-one-FH, or Falkenberg or two-point FH depending on what you need to work on. After that, some match-like drills like serve backspin, partner pushes, then attack with either FH or BH. This can be substituted with serve return practice, or game-like sequences that emphasize serve return. Ben Larcombe wrote an excellent playbook for this sort of drills: http://www.experttabletennis.com/playbook/. Depending on the level of the player, one can play more irregular drills, especially if tournament is close. Even warmup can be irregular. Then play matches for 20 minutes. It is useful to have some service practice before or after each session.

P.S. Usually the biggest challenge is to make players follow the plan and not to turn to play matches in the middle of a session. Or find players that can follow the plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D