Friendship 802 or 802-40

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
[FONT=&quot]Hi folks,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm looking to use short pimples for the first time and bearing in mind the cost factor, I thought the Friendship rubbers would be a good introduction.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Has anyone out there used both 802 and 802-40 and how do they compare with regard to[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]spin, speed, control and in particular the ability to create and lift backspin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I tend to play close to the table and I'm comfortable with soft sponges.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for any input.[/FONT]

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I currently use 802-40 on BH and have had a few hits with a friends 802 but never properly played with it to do a real comparison. In my opinion, the 802 is more like a traditional SP rubber whereas the 802-40 is much closer to a normal inverted rubber due to its much larger pimples. If you're coming from inverted rubbers I'd probably say give the 802-40 a go first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi Stuart,

I'm leaning towards the 802-40 but was curious to see how the two differ when trying to lift backspin in particular.
They both seem well recommended in the TT fraternity.

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
Hi.I have used both previously.I would agree that 802-4 short pimple rubber has got slightly more resemblance to inverted rubber as compared to 802.Perhaps 10-15% more spin?Both of the topsheets are quite lasting.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi.I have used both previously.I would agree that 802-4 short pimple rubber has got slightly more resemblance to inverted rubber as compared to 802.Perhaps 10-15% more spin?Both of the topsheets are quite lasting.

Hi Leevittha,

thanks for the reply, are either of the two better at dealing with incoming spin on serves, or roughly the same?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
Hi Leevittha,

thanks for the reply, are either of the two better at dealing with incoming spin on serves, or roughly the same?
Hi bones.Actually i used to be both winged looper for the past 15 years until early this year i started experimenting with pimple rubbers.So far I have tried long dawei 388d,c7,double fish 1615, sword syclla, and short pimples e.g.837,frienship 802 and 802-4 on my clipper cr.Personally i prefer galaxy pluto for my backhand.It is not so forgiving for service return but its 'sinking down' nature when i block or drive create alot of troubles for my opponent.I do have slight problem retrieving spiny serves with both 802 and 802-4 and they are not so 'weird' according to my opponent. To me both 802 and 802-4 are almost the same in service return(pls note:I have less than a year experience in pimples rubber and it could be my technique problem).I am thinking of switching back to inverted rubber nittaku fastarc g1.Hope it helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Hi folks,

I'm looking to use short pimples for the first time and bearing in mind the cost factor, I thought the Friendship rubbers would be a good introduction.

Has anyone out there used both 802 and 802-40 and how do they compare with regard to

spin, speed, control and in particular the ability to create and lift backspin.

I tend to play close to the table and I'm comfortable with soft sponges.

Thank you for any input.

Hi bones,

I started playing with 802 on one side and 802-40 on the other about 2 months ago. 802-40 is faster and spinnier, but not as much like inverted as people tend to say, in my opinion. You can get a good bit of spin, but the required stroke is different. 802 is classic pips out - you can hit though most shots, and can get some spin if you need it, but that is not the strength. The best way to "lift" backspin is to hit through it, rather than spin it. I have tried kind of looping with the 802-40, and have not yet mastered it, and when I do, the shot is pretty easy for opponents to handle unless placed exceptionally well.

They are both pretty cheap, so I opted to get one sheet of each to see what I liked better. I think the 802 fits my game better, but experimenting has been lots of fun.

Good luck.

This user has no status.
How can you call pips "anti-table tennis equipment" when pips where the ORIGINAL type of rubber used in the sport?!? Inverted rubbers with sponge are the "invasive species", not the pips!

Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.

Reactions: Gjayesh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try Haifus short pimple! Pimples is good, otherwise everyone will play the same. The chinese is like looking at robots. I also think its alot harder to master pimples than regular rubbers.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.

That's a bad comparison. In tennis, you are still allowed to play with wooden rackets. Nobody does because it has a clear disadvantage in comparison with modern rackets. If there would be a tennis player who would still reach the top 50 of the world with a wooden racket, all tennis fans would adore him for being so good that he can reach such a level with a wooden racket. Well, in table tennis there are still players who use pips out rubbers and who reach the top of the world despite having a clear disadvantage against players who play with inverted rubbers with sponge. You should have some more respect for the skill level that is needed to achieve this.

I play inverted and I would find it boring as hell if everyone would play the same. One of the things that makes table tennis interesting is the fact that you have to change your tactics and play style against every opponent. The fact that you see pips-out rubbers as junk, probably means that you are a beginner who can't play against pips and highly underestimates the skill that is needed to become a good player when using pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
The ocean's saltiness is sustained by your tears. #PipsForlife. However like everyone has stated 802 is the most basic pip for basically punching and hitting through spin.... and 40 is slightly more spinny but basically plays the same... I started using both of them, but I found myself rather quickly going to TSP Spectol for more variation. At the time I was SP both sides but have since changed to having it on my forehand. I now switch between Joola Express Ultra and Victas V>102 depending on the conditions with hurricane 8 on my back hand. Either of the rubbers are excellent beginner pips though between 802 and 802-40 but I may lean towards regular 802 if you are indeed a close to the table hitter :). Hope I have helped on your path to pips enlightenment :-D

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

Joo Se Hyuk is bad for the sport? Liu Guoliang was bad for the sport? Ai Fukuhara is bad for the sport?

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
802-40 is definitely easier to learn to use coming from inverted (Raystorm is even easier), but it will slow your acquisition of optimal short pips technique (because you can get away with sort of a hybrid stroke with a lot of inverted characteristics). So as soon as you can (once you feel comfortable with a lot of SP shots) you probably need move from 802-40 to something like Spectol or one of the Flarestorms, or rubbers in that category. Those will force you into a way of hitting the ball that is more optimal tactically for SP players. One difference is that 802-40 pips and topsheet are a little softer and just a bit more adhesive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giovanni Greco
This user has no status.
That's a bad comparison. In tennis, you are still allowed to play with wooden rackets. Nobody does because it has a clear disadvantage in comparison with modern rackets. If there would be a tennis player who would still reach the top 50 of the world with a wooden racket, all tennis fans would adore him for being so good that he can reach such a level with a wooden racket. Well, in table tennis there are still players who use pips out rubbers and who reach the top of the world despite having a clear disadvantage against players who play with inverted rubbers with sponge. You should have some more respect for the skill level that is needed to achieve this.

I play inverted and I would find it boring as hell if everyone would play the same. One of the things that makes table tennis interesting is the fact that you have to change your tactics and play style against every opponent. The fact that you see pips-out rubbers as junk, probably means that you are a beginner who can't play against pips and highly underestimates the skill that is needed to become a good player when using pips.

I have to remind Tuppe that i almost always win my matches against pimple players in my league (this season i didnt lose one pimple player , there were about 8 of them up to C2 rating). But i do know that quite some players feel like playing against long pimples is quite annoying, even up to very good players.

In fact there was in Belgium a player (who still plays i think) that once had one match point in an official match (he lost) against Jean-Michel Saive , when Saive was world top 10 ranked player, because he played ( and still plays) with very disturbing long pimples (it were those laser modified pimples , that were not allowed anymore). I know that playing with long pimples well is not easy, but lets be honest : players who start playing long pimples do so to get an advantage over the players who dont practice enough against long pimples or who are not experienced enough to adapt to those pimples.

Most of them know their playing style will not look very pretty either :).

The long pimple story is more one of anti-table tennis. Lets be honest on this one.

Watch this match , it illustrates what long pimple play results in ...

When 2 long pimples players (both quite high rating !) play against eachother, u get this kind of game ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Better to never play with short pips or long pips, they dont add anything meaningfull to our sport, only frustration when people lose to players using this kind of anti-table tennis equipment. ITTF should ban pips from all competition play immediately.
We need pips and antis for variety in the sport, if you don't like it go play tennis.

Reactions: Zamma