Racket for beginners

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
What could be the best racket for beginners?

Get ready for almost any kind of recommendation ...

At the end of the day it comes down to an allround blade like the Primorac off -, Appelgren Allplay, Stiga Allround Evolution - basically blades you can "grow" with, since they work well with many rubbers. And they don´t cost a fortune.

As for rubbers, often classic rubbers like Sriver, Coppa, Vario and the likes are preferred. This makes sense, although you may also go for a moderate tensor rubber, if you don´t overdo it on sponge thickness.

With classics, you should start with a sponge thickness of at least 1.7 if you ask me, as anything thinner is limiting. This is not to say you cannot learn table tennis with a Friendship rubber in 1.5 mm, but that doesn´t suit the modern game quite well.

One more topic of discussion is whether you should use different rubbers for forehand and backhand, or at least different sponge thicknesses. Most people have a stronger forehand than backhand, so to them it makes sense. The beginner doesn´t know where the journey might be going, so picking a slower backhand from the start doesn´t make sense to me.

As we partner with Tibhar in our club, a typical setup for beginners would be the Samsonov Premium Contact blade with two Rapid rubbers in 1.8 mm. We are giving this to children (unless the hands are so small they need a kids´ blade first) and adult beginners alike, and once they make good progress they can pick their next rubbers accordingly. As these Rapid rubbers are pretty durable, they can learn for a good while before the rubbers are worn out.

This user has no status.
Stiga Allround NCT is the best allround blade i have ever played. A lot of young players in my club are playing with it. Rubbers i would recommend andro Hexer on FH in 2,1 mm and Hexer Duro on BH in 1,9 mm. A very solid combination. Even a player in our 1st team is using this blade. It you want a blade that is a bit faster you can try andro Temper Tech Off-

Last edited:
This user has no status.
As for the blade, I feel any cheap but reputable branded(like Yinhe or Stiga) 5-ply blade would do just fine. For the rubber, I believe a cheap Chinese inverted 729 rubber will do the job(It is good and yet long-lasting). With this setup, expect the blade to be average and unforgiving at times due to the setup but it will be good as it will focus on correcting your strokes. At the same time, the budget is low and it is expected to cost about 50 dollars.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Stiga Allround NCT is the best allround blade i have ever played. A lot of young players in my club are playing with it.

It is a pretty good blade. There are 2 reasons why I like the Stiga Allround Evolution a little better even though they are very similar. The NCT coating on the Allround NCT makes the blade have a really nice, crisp feeling which is good. But it also makes the blade harder which causes it to have less dwell time than the Allround Evolution. And the Allround NCT has a slightly smaller blade face which some people might like. But I like the 150x157mm blade face of the Allround Evolution.

All that being said, all the information you presented would be very useful for anyone wanting a racket for a beginner.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy