Garaydia ZLC X Apolonia ZLC X JM ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hi guys, can you compare these 3 options? Garaydia ZLC X Apolonia ZLC X JM ZLC

Thanks

This user has no status.
Wait for Carl to provide the text... Until then...

3ce475b787057b952c08c52edece2101.jpg

3af2fb528448d31f5ac187a977f5e462.jpg

71b394e01688de349e23031598fb3ac0.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NextLevel has presented the most cohesive info I have seen on the Garaydia series. So I won't steal his thunder.

All I will say is that Garadia ZLC = Hinoki top ply + ZLC and that = FAST. Well, it equals fast with good spin and control. Very different from either of the other two blades both of which have a Limba top ply.

JM ZLC is: limba-zlc-limba-kiri-limba-zlc-limba

Apolonia is: limba-limba-zlc-ayous-zlc-limba-limba

The construction is very similar. Very close. The ZLC is deeper on the Apolonia which would make it react more like a slower all wood blade on short game and the ZLC layer would kick in on bigger impact. So on bigger impact the Apolonia will only be a little slower than the MJ blade. But it will have more wood feel. Whereas, on short game, it will help you have a softer touch.

On the plus side for the JM blade, it will feel crisper, more alive, more exciting. And if your short game and touch are very good, it will help you more with mid distance blasting and aggressive play close to the table.

With the Garaydia it will feel like a different animal. When you add Hinoki and carbon you generally get a rocket launcher. I always like the feel of ALC better than ZLC. ZLC feels harder and has less feel. So I would be more interested in the Garaydia ALC personally. If they had a Garaydia with Arylate and no carbon that actually might be very interesting. It is hard to tell though if the softness of the Hinoki + the softness of the Arykate without carbon might be too soft. I have a feeling though that that combo might create the spin monster blade of millennium. So much sink, grab and catapult. So much spin. Likely only a few spin crazed EJs like me would see the potential. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
*Side note:

You'd probably wet yourself if you can get a hold of older Jonyer Hinoki, Carl... [emoji12]

Had 2-3 a decade ago or so but let them go. So sad and kind of stupid of me not to hold on at least one... [emoji24]

Now I just have two newer variants of it, which are not the same... [emoji22]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
mine got stolen , even worse ! :(
*Side note:

You'd probably wet yourself if you can get a hold of older Jonyer Hinoki, Carl... [emoji12]

Had 2-3 a decade ago or so but let them go. So sad and kind of stupid of me not to hold on at least one... [emoji24]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
*Side note:

Here, close to the same:

41e3cf5d61ed21fdce3a475b88b87db2.jpg

d17a58aa5460de5f76b5e9de7a8f44df.jpg

They are very similar. I got that blade in 1991. Hehe. I didn't even know what it was or how good it was back then because I couldn't really play. I used it a few weeks, got a Mazunov and just like the Mazunov better because it was faster. If I knew how to spin the ball back then, I may have realized what I had.

My sister took this from me and gave it to my father before he passed on. After he passed, I saw it at his place, looked at it and my eyes opened wide. I said, "OMG look at that beautiful Hinoki. How did this slip through my fingers for so long." It still had the original Sriver rubbers it came with.

One of my best friends uses a Joyner H. It is freackin' awesome. Handle is slightly different than Klampar H. Klampar H slightly larger blade face. Same plies. Same thickness. VERY similar.

But you are right, I would love a Joyner.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
NextLevel has presented the most cohesive info I have seen on the Garaydia series. So I won't steal his thunder.

All I will say is that Garadia ZLC = Hinoki top ply + ZLC and that = FAST. Well, it equals fast with good spin and control. Very different from either of the other two blades both of which have a Limba top ply.

JM ZLC is: limba-zlc-limba-kiri-limba-zlc-limba

Apolonia is: limba-limba-zlc-ayous-zlc-limba-limba

The construction is very similar. Very close. The ZLC is deeper on the Apolonia which would make it react more like a slower all wood blade on short game and the ZLC layer would kick in on bigger impact. So on bigger impact the Apolonia will only be a little slower than the MJ blade. But it will have more wood feel. Whereas, on short game, it will help you have a softer touch.

On the plus side for the JM blade, it will feel crisper, more alive, more exciting. And if your short game and touch are very good, it will help you more with mid distance blasting and aggressive play close to the table.

With the Garaydia it will feel like a different animal. When you add Hinoki and carbon you generally get a rocket launcher. I always like the feel of ALC better than ZLC. ZLC feels harder and has less feel. So I would be more interested in the Garaydia ALC personally. If they had a Garaydia with Arylate and no carbon that actually might be very interesting. It is hard to tell though if the softness of the Hinoki + the softness of the Arykate without carbon might be too soft. I have a feeling though that that combo might create the spin monster blade of millennium. So much sink, grab and catapult. So much spin. Likely only a few spin crazed EJs like me would see the potential. [emoji2]

Thanks. Now I'm between Apolônia and JM...Think I will get the Apolônia

This user has no status.
I agree with what Carl says totally. I have tried all 3, personally I liked the apolonia for feeling but the JM wasn't far behind I don't think. Either of those 2 are nice zlc blades, the Timo Boll ZLC is a nice weapon too. Garaydia I did try with that bryce high speed stuff on and it and it was deffo a rocket I remember that much.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl