Chinese Domination

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think stolen is the right word
you do know that the English invaded, killed, raped, destroyed pretty much everywhere and gave the sport to other countries.
Just like any other commonwealth sport, English sport is shocking lowly ranked hehehehe

But I guess this will require someone in England to tell me why so many sports has become like this.
Maybe lazy youth culture?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Although the sport of table tennis originated in England in the 19th century. Countries from other parts of the world has stolen the sport from the English. Such as China, Japan, Germany and more.

What is it that English players can do to work their way up to the top again!?
:D:D:D:D:D

IMO, Top European and English players need to stop trying to copy the Chinese in everything they do. Instead, they should play with more imagination as this seems to be what the Chinese players cant handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Although the sport of table tennis originated in England in the 19th century. Countries from other parts of the world has stolen the sport from the English. Such as China, Japan, Germany and more.

you are an amateur troll. did you vote for brexit? please pay your taxes so I can feed myself cause im a really lazy greek

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
If we're being serious. Table Tennis England needs more money and more grants from the Lottery. I know its a lot better from the "dark days" at the end of the last decade where we'd get a Chinese star to come over and help teach the youth despite TTE had no money and had to get locals Chinese families to put them up with a room during their stay.

Once money is there, and I'm not talking about insane amounts, then we can start to promote table tennis and not ping pong, I know in today's society its hard to promote a sport like Table Tennis to be fun, but if we can't get the sport around schools we can't start looking for the next talent. Once we have the talent, we need to look at keeping them playing and not putting silly money constraints in their way, making the sport like Tennis where you need a family with money (or a sponsorship) to help you progress.

If we can get the grass roots sorted, then we can start using the money to get the right progression for players. Table Tennis is an Olympic sport and until Rio it was one of the sports we hardly gave two hoots about, now we have a strong base with great results in the Mens event and then the Paralympics. We just gotta keep it going and get the coaches in.

Dare I say it: Take a page from Every other National sporting team in England/GBR: get a foreign manager/coach in. I'm, sure theres a German coach that would look at the challenge of helping to keep the revival of British Table Tennis going

says Aging is a killer

I know that your post was meant to enrage and elicit hyper-sensitive responses but let's be calm and present some facts:
As much as you criticise English TT, you do realise that from a base of about 20k players and no professional league, England reached the quarter finals at the TT World team championship.
As for other sports, in the 2016 Olympics, team GB were second overall on the medal table. That is they whupped China thoroughly just as they do in most major sports except TT..........and maybe badminton...and maybe basketball. But even in Badminton, little England still holds there own. Only 50m people remember
In motorsport, which is the most technical of all sports, English based teams dominate the F1 championship and have the world's best F1 driver. Where is China in motorsport?
Most importantly, the British economy is 4th/5th largest in the world and London, its capital, still is the world centre for financial dealings.
With its world leading Universities the UK produces many world leading scientific and engineering innovations.
London recently votoed for a Mayor who is Muslim.
Why don't the kids play table tennis? Simple..........choice. Coming from such a strong economy and very democratic country, they have so many pursuits, sports and leisure activities etc to choose from.
TT has a lot of competition.

This user has no status.
I know that your post was meant to enrage and elicit hyper-sensitive responses but let's be calm and present some facts:
As much as you criticise English TT, you do realise that from a base of about 20k players and no professional league, England reached the quarter finals at the TT World team championship.
As for other sports, in the 2016 Olympics, team GB were second overall on the medal table. That is they whupped China thoroughly just as they do in most major sports except TT..........and maybe badminton...and maybe basketball. But even in Badminton, little England still holds there own. Only 50m people remember
In motorsport, which is the most technical of all sports, English based teams dominate the F1 championship and have the world's best F1 driver. Where is China in motorsport?
Most importantly, the British economy is 4th/5th largest in the world and London, its capital, still is the world centre for financial dealings.
With its world leading Universities the UK produces many world leading scientific and engineering innovations.
London recently votoed for a Mayor who is Muslim.
Why don't the kids play table tennis? Simple..........choice. Coming from such a strong economy and very democratic country, they have so many pursuits, sports and leisure activities etc to choose from.
TT has a lot of competition.

While I largely agree with you, I think the reason kids dont get into TT is because in the west its not advertised and generally thought of as a sport, more of a office past time. Saying kids dont get into TT because of competing sports is like saying kids dont get into snooker for the same reason.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That is not a nice thing to stay and I am only a kid

Then you have a lot to learn about history and you will need to experience hardship to get reward
long gone are the fairy tale days of prince charming and happily ever after - those are for babies
In the real world the ones that snooze will loose
1 million hardship will only have 1 gold medal

Chinese when they prepare for career, no matter if sport or academic, say academic they study from 8am to 4pm, and then have extra lessons to 9pm
and from there they do homework till midnight.
If they have 90%, they are scolded by parents and are forced to get closer towards 100% in order not to disgrace the family name

Now tell me, how much time do you as a kid put into academic hours?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
While I largely agree with you, I think the reason kids dont get into TT is because in the west its not advertised and generally thought of as a sport, more of a office past time. Saying kids dont get into TT because of competing sports is like saying kids dont get into snooker for the same reason.

Yes and No
Some kids are in the sports, and they are actually doing very well.
But I guess it all ties down to support.
The player is only as good as the support structure.

I didn't see any adult/coach with Tin-Tin Ho in Cape Town,

And since you are from NZ, did you know your 3 young boys had to pay themselves to get to Cape Town
I think it was around NZD6500 a player

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Then you have a lot to learn about history and you will need to experience hardship to get reward
long gone are the fairy tale days of prince charming and happily ever after - those are for babies
In the real world the ones that snooze will loose
1 million hardship will only have 1 gold medal

Chinese when they prepare for career, no matter if sport or academic, say academic they study from 8am to 4pm, and then have extra lessons to 9pm
and from there they do homework till midnight.
If they have 90%, they are scolded by parents and are forced to get closer towards 100% in order not to disgrace the family name

Now tell me, how much time do you as a kid put into academic hours?

Yes, thats true for sure, but do u think, that this is the only way to success and that this only have advantages? In Japan and Korea, the kids have the same standard day and these both countrys have the most suicides on the world, much more then the next countries in that statistics. And there are table tennis player like Timo Boll (he was the no1) and Ovtcharov, who also lived in Germany in his childhood who became absolute world class player, without such a pressure. Of cuz they also did a lot to become so strong, but they not had these 12 hours-school-days like in some Asian countries.
And I have met and know some pupil from Japan, the Phillippines and China and they all hate their school life, they really are jealous on the European school system (which also have differences) and I dont think that their way of grow up is a good one and it cannot be the only way to be successful. Also even China is not being world class in everything and in every sports. So their school system is (in my opinion) not the big reason, why the Chinese are so strong in table tennis.
And Zraxel has not to justify, he is not responsible that his school system is not the same like the school system of China or Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, thats true for sure, but do u think, that this is the only way to success and that this only have advantages? In Japan and Korea, the kids have the same standard day and these both countrys have the most suicides on the world, much more then the next countries in that statistics. And there are table tennis player like Timo Boll (he was the no1) and Ovtcharov, who also lived in Germany in his childhood who became absolute world class player, without such a pressure. Of cuz they also did a lot to become so strong, but they not had these 12 hours-school-days like in some Asian countries.
And I have met and know some pupil from Japan, the Phillippines and China and they all hate their school life, they really are jealous on the European school system (which also have differences) and I dont think that their way of grow up is a good one and it cannot be the only way to be successful. Also even China is not being world class in everything and in every sports. So their school system is (in my opinion) not the big reason, why the Chinese are so strong in table tennis.
And Zraxel has not to justify, he is not responsible that his school system is not the same like the school system of China or Japan.

Having been in both east and west, of course one will enjoy the west
But the west is too much "ease"
Same applies for TT training.

We once had a top chinese coach here and the TT body told the coach not to train the kids hard as we are the west, our kids can't sustain the work load.

What I am trying to point out is, in the east, the parents will want the child to go through hardship when young.
In west, it is mostly spoiled, as they worry the kid works too hard.
In the east, when the coach scolds the child, the mom will ask the kid why the coach scold and then scold the child another time.
In the west, the mom will sue the coach :)

Of course in the east, heavy western influence, so a lot of this has started to change.

Now the western system imo is too ease, it needs to increase a bit, and most of this is from home culture/teachings.
Boll, Dima is only 2 people, if there are a constant 3 or 5 in this level, then we are talking.

What Zraxel and his young mind only sees that China is winning, but he doesn't see it is become England is loosing.
The problem is always within, kids need to stop looking outside for solutions, they need to start from within