table tennis tips "Increase Spin in table tennis by Chinese coaching"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I'm EmRatThich, a Vietnamese table tennis player. Now I live in France. With my friend (Chinese table tennis player), we have learned together some tips and Chinese philosophy about table tennis.

I would like to share some of these tips for beginner players who want to improve fast in table tennis. As I'm not a pro player, these tips may be not applicable to all of the level. If you are already at a very high level, you could find these tutorials not helpful, however, I think it would be useful for beginner and early intermediate player. In my previous videos, the quality of the coaching is not good enough (maybe too simplified or not new for some players). I'm trying to improve a lot to give better coaching video for many new players. Feel free to comment or criticism about the video or technical aspects.

My purpose is to help new player enjoy more table tennis, as I always say to my young players "In Spin We Trust" !
Hope you enjoy the coaching video. See you next Sunday.
Best regards,
EmRatThich

table tennis tutorial | most important tips (part 3)

The first 2 key points of holding a table tennis racket have been explained in the previous video: Use the muscle group 2 to hold your racket, and a compact grip will increase the freedom of the wrist.

I will explain in this video the last key point in the "3 principles to have a good table tennis grip". This key point is the most important as it is the key of "explosiveness" in Chinese philosophy about table tennis stroke.

--------

The Cannon Forehand of Ma Long

How to generate power loop against heavy backspin in table tennis. I will analyze the forehand topspin technique of Ma Long to loop kill the backspin ball from a chopper. For the underspin ball, you should attack it by using your forehand. Don't practice your backhand topspin against this ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I'm EmRatThich, vietnamese table tennis player. Now I live in France. With my friend (chinese table tennis player), we have learned together some tips and chinese philosophy about table tennis.

I would like to share some of these tips for beginner players who want to improve fast in table tennis. As I'm not a pro player, these tips may be not applicable to all of the level. If you are already at a very high level, you could find these tutorials not helpful, however I think it would be useful for beginner and early-intermediate player. In my previous videos, the quality of the coaching is not good enough (may be too simplified or not new for some players). I'm trying to improve a lot to give better coaching video for many new players. Feel free to comment or criticism about the video or technical aspects.

My purpose is to help new player enjoy more table tennis, as I always say to my young players "In Spin We Trust" !
Hope you enjoy the coaching video. See you next Sunday.
Best regards,
EmRatThich

table tennis tutorial | most important tips (part 3)

The first 2 key points of holding a table tennis racket has been explained in the previous video: Use the muscle group 2 to hold your racket, and a compact grip will increase the freedom of the wrist.

I will explain in this video the last keypoint in the "3 principles to have a good table tennis grip". This keypoint is the most important as it is the key of "explosiveness" in Chinese philosophy about table tennis stroke.

Very good explaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hey, it's nice to see you here. Your English has got a little better.

I think you should give us video of yourself playing, then we will better know where you are coming from. It's important for the player to trust their coach.

Imagine just without videos we like your genuine tips on upgrading our level
When u show us more videos of yourself
We may even try to compete china provincial players cheers !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
hey,,,coach emrathThich...nice to meet you in this forum...i just want to thank you for your last ping sunday video,that's very important for me..once again thank u coach

Sent from my EVERCOSS-A75L using Tapatalk

Reactions: EmRatThich
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, EmRatThich, I wanted to know a few things:

1) Who is the cute woman in the photo you use on YouTube, FaceBook and even here on TableTennisDaily?

2) If you are Vietnamese and you live in France, where did you get your information on Chinese techniques?

This information on how to grip is very good. I have been shown it by several coaches, at least 7 different coaches in NYC have showed me that. And it works very well.

On TableTennisDaily, if you read through, you will also see members like Der_Echte talking about how to adjust grip pressure for creating different amounts of spin. Or NextLevel who will talk about the whip mechanics you can achieve from starting with a lose grip.

It would be really fun to see video footage of you playing and demonstrating some of the principles you talk about.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The first coach I heard talk about this principle of keeping relaxed, using your index finger and thumb to hold, and increasing pressure on contact was Robert Chen. He also talked about using the index finger and thumb to help you feel the ball better and to improve your touch. That was over 7 years ago. But I also have heard this information from Michael Landers, Mark Croitoroo, Jennifer Wu (Wu Yue), Edmund Suen, Damien Provost and Matthew Khan. So it seems like it is a pretty widely known principle.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
emratthich

I really liked your latest video. It was the most informative and detailed video I have seen that is specific to penhold, in English. Very, very few people bother to throw us penholders a bone, especially translated in a way that is easy to understand and interesting. Its one of the reasons I decided to try shakehand for the time being. Penhold just didn't seem worth it anymore. So thanks again for your work. Great job.

Reactions: EmRatThich
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
The first coach I heard talk about this principle of keeping relaxed, using your index finger and thumb to hold, and increasing pressure on contact was Robert Chen. He also talked about using the index finger and thumb to help you feel the ball better and to improve your touch. That was over 7 years ago. But I also have heard this information from Michael Landers, Mark Croitoroo, Jennifer Wu (Wu Yue), Edmund Suen, Damien Provost and Matthew Khan. So it seems like it is a pretty widely known principle.

Hi Carls,

You are right that these principles are not news for the pro players. I didn't say it is new in my tutorial video.
I focus mainly on the new players or players who don't have the opportunity to have a good table tennis coach.
So you can find some of the informations in my videos are not useful as you already know it. The coaching can't be perfect for all levels.

Bests,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Guys why should he provide a video of himself, knowing the basics of TT and teaching them is a different situation than executing them . If you knowledge level is 10/10 and your execution level is 3/10 this does not mean that you are not a good coach

All greek coaches were and are crappy players yet they led kreanga tsioka gionis and now sgouropoulos to their success. LGL was a pathetic rally player, yet he understands (mentally not physically) how to play a rally and teach it to others.

Anyway I kinda understand the whole video thing because I myself saw many "experts" on TT sites but I guess in the end everyone on the net is free to say what they want and "anonymity" sometimes has negative effects on others.

In the end, one who wants to improve, wont achieve much by reading forums or watching videos, you can get many ideas that's for sure an amazing thing but training with quality is a whole different animal
Cheers :p

Reactions: fais and doraemon
says what [IMG]
@TTFrenzy

I would have to disagree.

There's a difference between concrete, real knowledge, and abstract knowledge. Even LGL with his "pathetic" rally skills knows a hell of a lot about rallying and he can perform it at a very high level as well. He doesn't have 3/10 execution.

Let's take economy and business as an example:

Who would you trust more:

Someone who has read a lot of books on economy and business but has never done a proper deal in their life, or

Someone who hasn't read quite as much and doesn't know as much abstract theory but has put themselves out into the market with consumers who can say no, and done actual deals?

EmRat doesn't seem to be saying anything completely wrong and he can probably play at an okay beginner-intermediate level, but he has zero credibility IMO. We do not know anything about his game, and how he can apply his own advice, and where he got it from.

@EmRatThich

Carl was giving you a compliment: the things you've said are what many high level players have said. It was not a criticism.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
@TTFrenzy

I would have to disagree.

There's a difference between concrete, real knowledge, and abstract knowledge. Even LGL with his "pathetic" rally skills knows a hell of a lot about rallying and he can perform it at a very high level as well. He doesn't have 3/10 execution.

Let's take economy and business as an example:

Who would you trust more:

Someone who has read a lot of books on economy and business but has never done a proper deal in their life, or

Someone who hasn't read quite as much and doesn't know as much abstract theory but has put themselves out into the market with consumers who can say no, and done actual deals?

EmRat doesn't seem to be saying anything completely wrong and he can probably play at an okay beginner-intermediate level, but he has zero credibility IMO. We do not know anything about his game, and how he can apply his own advice, and where he got it from.

...says the dude who never had some real coaching in his life. Man, your parroting of NL is so lame!
[Emoji23]
I totally agree with TTFrenzy here.
There are so many coaches out there that are playing much worse than their students. Shall they all stop coaching and rather listen to "Arch´s ridiculous recommendations" ??
[Emoji23]
I believe German U21 Headcoach Helmut Hampl gets beaten on a regular by his students!
My uncle taught me that a good coach makes his students better than him. Just think about it!

I´m just glad that there are some people out there, that can value FREE ONLINE COACHING vids more than this kid who actually never had any coaching yet!

@EmRat Thich: thanks for sharing. Please keep ´em coming and don´t watch these haters and their hateful speeches!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
All you need to do really if you don't trust the credibility of that person or know their skill level is to take what they're saying with a pinch of salt. You can also compare to what other coaches have said e.g. the thumb and index finger tip seems to be a good one as many others have said the same and they seem to improve or get results from it.

You can also just try it out.. and if it works for you and improves your game then keep doing it, if not then don't. Just because every single detail this guy or whoever else says isn't correct it doesn't mean all their advice is bad. You still need to be critical and this applies to everyone really, even top coaches as some of the ways they teach things might not apply to all people.

The more info you have about the coach the better though, which is why it's good that carl for example asks that second question. There's no need to sway to either extremes, learn from everyone but think critically and be selective and test things out for yourself so you know that the stuff you're learning works for you. Application and learning from it is what it's all about, in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
There are so many coaches out there that are playing much worse than their students. Shall they all stop coaching and rather listen to "Arch´s ridiculous recommendations" ??

I believe German U21 Headcoach Helmut Hampl gets beaten on a regular by his students!

Yeah I just disagree. Do have coaches have players who are playing at a higher level than they are? Yes. Of Course. They're putting the time into their own game where as the coaches goal is to not focus on their skills but the players. I think that much we can agree on.

But how did those coaches get those positions in the first place? Because they have played before. Because they physically know what they're talking about.

It simply adds credibility if the person teaching you something you know has experience in what they're talking about. That will always be the case. I could read you some fundamentals I've looked up on playing hockey if you like. Every thing I would tell you would be fundamentally sound. But you should know I've never played it a day in my life. How could you take me seriously?

Nobody is saying this guy has to be Ma Long. Shoot even if he was simply average and said "this works for me" along with this fundamentals, I would respect it. A great deal actually. It takes balls to put yourself out there.

I would just like to know we don't have USATT 1100 here "coaching" us. I don't think asking for a little validation is being unreasonable. But the more & more videos come without it pretty much tells me everything I need to know.