Will virtual reality be a game changer?

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi guys, so recently the ITTF published that they will use Virtual Reality in upcoming tournaments this year! This new technology will definitely spice up 2017 for the table tennis fan!

Virtual Reality (VR) allows you to see a 360° camera angle! When you wear the headset and turn your head you will see the room submerged around you! VR allows you to sit literally on the sideline of any global table tennis match from anywhere in the world!

The ITTF have teamed up with VR company SECA to bring cutting edge sports broadcasting highlights from the recent World Tour Grand Finals to give you all a taster! You don’t even need a VR headset as youtube offer 360° video right now.

Check out the 360° highlights between Ma Long and Fan Zhendong at the 2016 World Tour Grand Finals! Look how insane this is!

Game changer? What do you think of this new innovative technology for table tennis?

This user has no status.
Game changer? What do you think of this new innovative technology for table tennis?

The pessimist in me says we'll all be sitting at this view looking left
and right at each other in the virtual seats asking each other what rubbers we're using.

Pongcast TV Episode 22 - Table Tennis' Best of 2012 Year in Review.jpg

Do they have the ability to go high tech, high bandwidth? hmmmmm.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Well, I looked. What I got was a camera with a fixed position covering 360 degrees. One of its angles showed a nice game of table tennis, the other angles, well, just looked away.

I didn't find it useful. Now the ability to pick a different camera position while still observing the game, that might be interesting. Yet I wouldn't really like playing while a flock of drones buzzed around me.

This user has no status.
These guys at ITTF are very bad even in simple live youtube broadcasting events , so I'm not surprised. They are talking about VR and instead gave us 360° video that is actually so bad idea in the case of events that take place at one exact location, i.e. the table lol. It is good for sight seeing and such stuff

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Well, I looked. What I got was a camera with a fixed position covering 360 degrees. One of its angles showed a nice game of table tennis, the other angles, well, just looked away.

I didn't find it useful. Now the ability to pick a different camera position while still observing the game, that might be interesting. Yet I wouldn't really like playing while a flock of drones buzzed around me.
We need at least from every side of cube, 4, 5, or 6 (but woman would hate it) [emoji6]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk