difference between 1.8 1.9 2.0 max rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
hello!! i have a doubt the rubbers with thickness 1.9 and 2.0 have a lot of differences on the play? because i´m think to buy for my child a yasaka rakza 7 soft both sides in 1.8, he have a ALL/OFF game, but his couch makes me buy a carbon blade ;in another hand, i gived my ALL WOOD OSP VIRTUOSO OFF- but the coach said ¨a carbon blade with rubbers 1.9 wold work better to improve his skills¨so i´m not a expert, but really affects a lot in the gameplay? so wich thickness is better for his style, he have 10 years old. i´m very glad to follo your recomendations!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
No rubber expert, but I wouldn't get a carbon blade for someone that is still developing his technique

Popular counterargument I've seen a few times is that if you are getting regular coaching, it does not really matter, as technique flaws will be immediately corrected and kids can adjust to pretty much anything anyway (wish we were so lucky...).

I guess I'd give coach a benefit of the doubt here, unless OP is suspicious that coach just wants to sell an expensive blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
so wich thickness is better for his style, he have 10 years old. i´m very glad to follo your recomendations!

First of all, the blade question really is difficult to answer without knowing the coach.

As for rubber thickness, don´t get too picky about this, there are tolerances in manufacturing anyway. I have seen 2.0 mm rubbers on the low end of the spectrum, let´s say 1,85 mm, and they were thinner than 1.8 mm rubbers of the same type on their high end with 1,88.

Unless you want to start measuring and weighing whenever you buy rubbers go for 1,9 or 2,00 as you wish, depending on which rubber you prefer. For example, if Rakza is available in 1,8 and 2,0 you shouldn´t need to choose a different rubber just because that happens to be around specified as 1,9

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A couple of questions to ask:

Is the coach simply recommending the blade without telling you where to get it from?

Or is he trying to sell you the blade?

Is the coach a good coach for your kid?

Do you agree with most of his coaching?

If the coach is simply recommending the blade without telling you where to get it, he may have a reason for wanting your son to develop with that blade. If you trust the coach, choose where to buy the blade yourself and get what he recommends. If you don't trust the coach, or don't agree with many of his coaching philosophies, maybe look for a different coach.

One coach may have a real valid reason for wanting a specific kid to play with a carbon blade. And another coach may want you and your son to see what looks like a short term improvement rather than thinking about the bigger picture.

In the end, you are going to have to decide what you think is going on with the coach.

Because your question is not really about equipment, it is actually about whether or not you trust this particular coach.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Watch this video, it may help you out. It will give some actual information on coaching techniques and the ways in which real measurable improvements happen. Some coaches get their students to look better in practice quite quickly and then you start wondering why the students looks so good in practice and his level at match play is barely changing. This explains how and why some of that occurs:

It would be worth it to watch this more than once. The information is definitely valuable.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
hello!! i have a doubt the rubbers with thickness 1.9 and 2.0 have a lot of differences on the play? because i´m think to buy for my child a yasaka rakza 7 soft both sides in 1.8, he have a ALL/OFF game, but his couch makes me buy a carbon blade ;in another hand, i gived my ALL WOOD OSP VIRTUOSO OFF- but the coach said ¨a carbon blade with rubbers 1.9 wold work better to improve his skills¨so i´m not a expert, but really affects a lot in the gameplay? so wich thickness is better for his style, he have 10 years old. i´m very glad to follo your recomendations!
1st, follow Carl advice. :)

After that, I actually think your child coach right though, regarding carbon blades rather than wood blade.

10 yo would naturally have more delicate touch to handle carbon blade compared no adult, and,

His hand may not long and strong enough yet to attain proper brush speed for looping, so added bounce would be beneficial.

And, at minors age, fun is important. [emoji6]

4 to 5 years later, we can change for better suit blade for his style.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
A lot of junior clubs in Japan are also the distributor of the equipment but they never ever sell kids a carbon blade. Partly because there are limited options for carbon blades with small handles but also because of the negative impact on technique development. Having said that, most of them switch to carbon blades after around 2-3000 hours of practice at the age of 8-10 so if he has a decent technique(specifically, in services/receives), there shouldn't be any problem especially with the availability of inner carbon blades that are closer to all wooden blades.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
thank you very much for the video!! the couch is nice, he don´t tried to sell me anything , he told me about this change like an advice; for antoher hand, i talk with my child and he enjoy the allwood blades , and i decided to follow what makes him happy when he play, my question about the rubbers was for that advice of the couch to change 2.0 mm (sriver fx both sides) to 1.9 mm (yasaka rakza soft), by the way, thank you to all of you and thank you again carl my kid is watching the video with me, in conclution we decided to talk with his couch and discuss about this, i trust in the couch, but we need to get in a agreement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
and i decided to follow what makes him happy when he play

That, without a doubt, is the best thing any player can do.

If you want to upgrade on Sriver FX you might want to try Sriver G3 FX.

But any soft Tensor rubber like Aurus Soft/Sound, Evolution FX-P or their equivalents from other brands will probably be cheaper and do the job nicely. I have too little experience with it to recommend Rakza, but from what I hear it is very good also.