To be a world class player......

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What does it take to become a world class player. Is it all just down to training, or is there something else. As we all know millions of Chinese practice 6 hours a day, but what separates Ma Long/Zhang Jike ect to the rest?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
My Opinion:
the chinese trainer sort out the talented players from normal players when the kids are 6 years old
these talented kids get special training ....
I think there are very many chinese who have the same skill like a Top 15 player but if they got hurt in the childhood the chinese coaches gave this person up... additionally if you want to get very big in china you need a very good endurance .. you are not allowed to show weaknesses ... It's not to be had for nothing. for example: Zhang was the talented player in his age but when he was 14 years old they fired him from the national team because he was not obedient ....

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That is an old video ( I can tell by the clothes and the tables) but I actually visited a training center like that a couple of years ago in Wuhan China. They had about 40 brand new Double Happiness tables, all filled with little kids and young teenagers. Lots of coaches. A good friend of mine who had coached in Houston had come from that center so I got some sort of semi-privileged access. There were actually TWO training centers of that size just in that city, plus a whole bunch of smaller ones. I remember one coach in particular, a very tough middle aged lady whose only job was to coach serves. She was a guru for serving. When her students did it wrong she would slap the backs of their thighs with a stick.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
That is an old video ( I can tell by the clothes and the tables) but I actually visited a training center like that a couple of years ago in Wuhan China. They had about 40 brand new Double Happiness tables, all filled with little kids and young teenagers. Lots of coaches. A good friend of mine who had coached in Houston had come from that center so I got some sort of semi-privileged access. There were actually TWO training centers of that size just in that city, plus a whole bunch of smaller ones. I remember one coach in particular, a very tough middle aged lady whose only job was to coach serves. She was a guru for serving. When her students did it wrong she would slap the backs of their thighs with a stick.

Thats crazy,,, sounds like you had a good experience out there,,, would love to do something like that!

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
to be a world class player you simply need potential as well so you dont reach you peak early in your career

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Maybe because the chinese invested a lot in this sport, like US in football and Brazil in soccer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
First of all, players of other countries do not have the state funding as the chinese do and compared to other sports TT is realtively less sponsored. That is why it is so hard to find someone who is worthy of challenging the chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I have a friend from China who claims the Chinese style is best first off, and that's what seperates them. Second is being exposed and allowed to practice with the best continously.

For one, Boll has trained with the Chinese National Team in the past, and surely that helped him. My friend went on to say that if Mizutani had the resources the Chinese players had, he would be amazing, and the fact that he plays so well using the European style amazes the chinese, and they regard him as a prodigy.

Of course, that's my friends opinion, I won't offer my own here. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Commitment, discipline, great coaches, natural talent, dedicated training and sparring partners, and enough money coming from somewhere to sustain it all. Oh and don't forget the secret boosters lol, can't be a world champ without them LOL

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Commitment, discipline, great coaches, natural talent, dedicated training and sparring partners, and enough money coming from somewhere to sustain it all. Oh and don't forget the secret boosters lol, can't be a world champ without them LOL

'Oh and don't forget the secret boosters lol, can't be a world champ without them LOL' haha that made me laugh!! some good poins there!! thanks for joining the forum :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
In China I think training is the essential thing you need to do, but not garantee your success.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
In order to make a world class team, China files down players, almost like a filter, to the very select few. Also, having a population of 1 billion does help as well;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
A lot of people say that the Chinese national team members are talented, but just work insanely hard, but in actuality, that's far from the truth, I mean they definitely work hard, but its the very fact that there are so many players in China, all of whom work unbelievably hard, that shows that the actual members who represent the team are talented. Think about it, you have a giant giant pool to work from, all of whom start playing at a young age and work really hard. There are only a certain number of hours a day, so its not the amount of work you put in, because there are tons of other people who put in the same amount. What separates you from the rest is your mental strengths, and or your body advantages. Look at Wang Liqin, I don't think there has ever been a player with as amazing a combination of length and speed. Samsonov has his reach, but looks like a turtle in terms of footwork speed, and arm speed, and reaction rate, while players that are faster than him, don't have as long of a reach as he does. Xu Xin has the same strengths in these two areas, which is why I think he has probably the most potential of any of the players on the Chinese national team, even more so than Ma Long.