FH rubber - control close to table + strong for from it

This user has no status.
Hey guys,

I am looking for a FH rubber which would give me control close to the table (short game, blocking, engaging in TS) but power when I start to step out from the table; any recommendations?

I currently play with RakzaX 2mm, which I find great far from the table, giving me plenty of power...but is harder to control when I am close to the table. Before, I used Xiom Vega Elite 2mm...which I just LOVED because of its great feeling...but I find it very slow in rallies for instance. So RazkaX was a great change, but after 2 months, I start to make mistakes close to the table I didn't do before (difficulties to control the amount of spin I want to put, difficulties to control topspin or no spin balls).

Any thought?
Thanks
Sam

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey guys,

I am looking for a FH rubber which would give me control close to the table (short game, blocking, engaging in TS) but power when I start to step out from the table; any recommendations?

I currently play with RakzaX 2mm, which I find great far from the table, giving me plenty of power...but is harder to control when I am close to the table. Before, I used Xiom Vega Elite 2mm...which I just LOVED because of its great feeling...but I find it very slow in rallies for instance. So RazkaX was a great change, but after 2 months, I start to make mistakes close to the table I didn't do before (difficulties to control the amount of spin I want to put, difficulties to control topspin or no spin balls).

Any thought?
Thanks
Sam
Nothing can beat the Hurricane 3 or 8 in this regard. You can have excellent short game and ease in close to table attack.

Once engaged the sponge (esp Provincial or National version) will give you tons of power away from the table. The looping power is comparable to the Tenergy sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Can't argue with Hurricane 3 and 8 but they go weak when playing mid and far without booster. Plus they're not really good for blocking and hitting. I recommend XIOM Omega IV Pro or XIOM Sigma II Pro. Both plays almost the same, only Omega IV Pro excels more in blocking and hitting and Sigma II Pro is more on aggressive playing, but the different is not that much, I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hey guys,

Any thought?
Thanks
Sam

I'd recommend to use the same rubber but practice more at close table to become familiar with it. It took me a while to get used to Rakza 7 soft after switching from Hurricane 3. I love H3 but it requires tuning which is too time consuming.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
No rubbers will be superb on both touch games and looping. If you have problem with your current rubber, most probably you haven't developed well enough short game. Over time with practice you'll get used to it.

A rubber that's fast on distance means it'll be fast with soft touches as well, that's just how it is.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Xiom Omega IV Euro is a great rubber both at the table and up to mid distance. It's not as bouncy as Rakza on the short game, and you'll get power as you take a few steps from the table. Control is excellent and spin is very good. I think Rakza is spinnier, but the Xiom doesn't fall far behind. If you liked the Elite and just wanted more spin/speed, I think the O4E could make a great candidate.

This user has no status.
Thank you all for your great help and feedbacks :)

it's true my thoughts are split between the rubber & my technic. Either the rubber is too hard, or I simply have an issue with my technic. It is frustrating though because I was perfectly able to properly dose out how much spin came at me and how much I was able to put...so balls with no spin were not so much of an issue for me. My former coach invited me to send him videos so to check out what's wrong in my moves, guess I will give it a try.

By the way, I've been told Hurricanes are pretty demanding in terms of technic. A coach I know gave it to a young player of his in order to correct his FH because, I quote "Hurricanes don't allow you to be approximate with your technic. To have full power, you MUST get a perfect move!". Unfortunately, I don't know which Hurricanes he is talking about.

What do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
By the way, I've been told Hurricanes are pretty demanding in terms of technic. A coach I know gave it to a young player of his in order to correct his FH because, I quote "Hurricanes don't allow you to be approximate with your technic. To have full power, you MUST get a perfect move!". Unfortunately, I don't know which Hurricanes he is talking about.

What do you think?
I'm sure you are going through what a lot of other people have though. 'My rubbers are not working, so maybe I should try something totally different!' But consider the advice you are trying to follow.

1. If the unforgiving nature of H3 means you need perfect technique, is that much different from requiring very good technique to play with the RakzaX?

2. Power comes from technique, but you want a rubber that provides the power/speed without losing control? Pick a rubber you can control, and see if you can improve your technique to add the power you feel you are missing.

That said... H3's aren't too expensive. You can always give it a try if you really want to (and maybe it will work?), but I don't think that's really a solution to your problem as much as wishful thinking. Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2017

it's true my thoughts are split between the rubber & my technic. Either the rubber is too hard, or I simply have an issue with my technic. It is frustrating though because I was perfectly able to properly dose out how much spin came at me and how much I was able to put...so balls with no spin were not so much of an issue for me. My former coach invited me to send him videos so to check out what's wrong in my moves, guess I will give it a try.

What do you think?

My own rule and advice with rubber or equipment is only use what you can control the opening, and shots between the short game and rally. They are the only ones you're assured to play almost every point, and so more important than topspin rally.

ESN rubber can bounce high, pop up, on these shots for players not mastered them. Hurricane like rubbers because they are slow in my opinion require less technique on the shorter and softer balls, even if they're harder to continue rallying.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

What do you think?
I have used all kinds of hurricane rubbers - Provincial, national, H3-50, normal hurricane, hurricane 2. They all require a relatively high level of technique because:
** Very tacky grippy topsheet:
>>Create enormous spin but also very sensitive to incoming spin
>> Medium-high arch. It is a powerful looping rubber. But you need more accurate timing when looping.
>> Slow on hitting. Therefore requires strong stroke.

** Relatively hard sponge (except when boosted properly)
>> Requires strong stroke to unlock the sponge’s power

But if you can overcome all the hurdles listed above, hurricane 3 can be a great rubber comparable to tenergy overall.

Reactions: Suga D