What rubbers will go well with Timo Boll Spark

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I had one when it first came out. Very soft feeling blade (only has arylate, no carbon) and pretty slow. I think you could get away with a faster and harder rubber than M3, but this kind of thing is always a question of taste.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What Baal said is part of why I love that blade. Spark feels really nice to me. The handle is a strange shape. But if it is comfortable in your hand, it is worth it. And if you can get your hands on a TB Spark, they don't make them any more, and it is a really good blade. And it feels really nice. Soft but still crisp.

I do think you can put any rubber you want on it. The ones you listed are fine. A harder Bluefire, as Baal suggested would also be fine. Especially if Vega Pro isn't too hard for you.

But any offensive rubber should work well on that blade.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

What Baal said is part of why I love that blade. Spark feels really nice to me. The handle is a strange shape. But if it is comfortable in your hand, it is worth it. And if you can get your hands on a TB Spark, they don't make them any more, and it is a really good blade. And it feels really nice. Soft but still crisp.

I do think you can put any rubber you want on it. The ones you listed are fine. A harder Bluefire, as Baal suggested would also be fine. Especially if Vega Pro isn't too hard for you.

But any offensive rubber should work well on that blade.

Oh I already have it. (my dad had it but didn't use it) I will probably go with the Vega Pro because it's harder like you said and also because I have played with it quite a bit on different blades. Still do you know how the Spark is compared to the Joola K5 (my current blade)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. Some questions now:

1) what makes you want to change blades if you already have the K5? Is there something you don't like about the K5v

2) if you changed blades, what are you hoping to accomplish: faster, slower, more control, more spin, different feeling????

Also, an idea: why don't you dress them in the same clothing, I mean rubbers, and see how each of them feels to you. Since you have the blades, might as well take your time to feel out which one you like better.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I imagine M3 Bluefire on a Spark would feel a bit like playing TT with a banana.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Okay. Some questions now:

1) what makes you want to change blades if you already have the K5? Is there something you don't like about the K5v

2) if you changed blades, what are you hoping to accomplish: faster, slower, more control, more spin, different feeling????

Also, an idea: why don't you dress them in the same clothing, I mean rubbers, and see how each of them feels to you. Since you have the blades, might as well take your time to feel out which one you like better.

I am currently playing with the K5. It works well but the handle is hurting my hand and flicking with it is so so. My father suggested that I should try out the TB Spark. It's handle is more comfortable but I have heard that there was some flex. I was thinking maybe putting the right rubber on it would fix that. But like you said I think I should experiment and see how they go.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am currently playing with the K5. It works well but the handle is hurting my hand and flicking with it is so so. My father suggested that I should try out the TB Spark. It's handle is more comfortable but I have heard that there was some flex. I was thinking maybe putting the right rubber on it would fix that. But like you said I think I should experiment and see how they go.

Flex can be seen as a good thing or a bad thing depending on who is doing the seeing.

The softness and the flex from the Spark are good for touch shots and looping. Stiffer and harder help the player who has excellent touch and/or who uses the blade to some extent for drive-looping.

I have a friend who is 2600 who used a Spark until it broke on him. He was not very happy. It took him a while to figure out what to replace it with. He finally settled on a TB ZLF. So the Spark can be used way up to a very high level.

*****But let's find out about what from the K5 handle bothers you:

Is it the wings digging into your hand? Or is there some other part of the handle that hurts your hand? A file and some ingenuity might allow you to customize the handle to your needs.

It will still be worth testing out whether the Spark works for you. I love that blade. Who knows, you may love it too. But it is soft and not everyone will like it.

Flex can be seen as a good thing or a bad thing depending on who is doing the seeing.

The softness and the flex from the Spark are good for touch shots and looping. Stiffer and harder help the player who has excellent touch and/or who uses the blade to some extent for drive-looping.

I have a friend who is 2600 who used a Spark until it broke on him. He was not very happy. It took him a while to figure out what to replace it with. He finally settled on a TB ZLF. So the Spark can be used way up to a very high level.

*****But let's find out about what from the K5 handle bothers you:

Is it the wings digging into your hand? Or is there some other part of the handle that hurts your hand? A file and some ingenuity might allow you to customize the handle to your needs.

It will still be worth testing out whether the Spark works for you. I love that blade. Who knows, you may love it too. But it is soft and not everyone will like it.

The K5 handle is a bit too thick for me to get a comfortable grip (I have small hands :()