PDA

View Full Version : Review of the STIGA Mantra Rubber

yogi_bear
02-14-2017, 07:49 AM
My reviews on the Stiga Mantra Rubber have been posted in the TTD Review Centre:

Full detailed review on the Stiga Mantra S (https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/rubbers/12453-mantra-s)
Full detailed review on the Stiga Mantra M (https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/rubbers/12454-mantra-m)
Full detailed review on the Stiga Mantra H (https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/rubbers/12455-mantra-h)

STIGA Mantra S

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantrasoft.jpg

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantrasoft1.jpg

STIGA Mantra M

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantramedium.jpg

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantramedium1.jpg

STIGA Mantra H

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantrahard.jpg

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/yogimantrahard1.jpg

Initial thoughts

The STIGA Mantra is a big update to the previous rubbers the Japanese company produced for Stiga. The topsheet is very grippy and it rivals speed of the latest ESN rubbers. I was biased towards the H version, this was my favorite between the 3 versions. Between the 3 Mantra rubbers I found the soft version to be the slowest, slower than a Tibhar Evolution FX-P. The Medium version is faster and similar speeds to a EL-S. The Hard version was the fastest one, it matches similar speeds if not faster than a Tibhar Evolution MX-P. Excellent rubbers.

Garrison
02-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Your links lead to Stiga Genesis reviews ;)

Baal
02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
I will be recei ing Mantra M in a couple of days. I am very intsrested in rubbers from this factory now.

TTHopeful
02-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Is the rubber as fast as Tenergy yogi?

tt89player
02-15-2017, 02:14 AM
I think the word "Power" is the right one when talking about the Mantra H rubber. Hitting the ball close to the table and at the right timing, the rubber explodes. Spin is similar to ESN rubbers, but the so called speed glue effect and the generell feel is different from Tensor rubbers.
Powerspin players, who are playing close to the table, and players who don´t like the, sometimes indirect, tensor effect, should give this rubber series a try :cool:

LordPippington
02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Are any of these 3 rubbers good for a kind of passive blocking game (insensitive to spin but still decent pace), along with nice smashing abilities?

Ot Ot
02-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Hi Reviewers

So what are the main characteristic differences between Generics and Mantra?

yogi_bear
02-19-2017, 03:47 PM
mantra rubbers are japan made, genesis rubbers are made by DHS

all of the mantra rubbers are insensitive to spin.

the mantra h is faster than tenergy.

Ot Ot
02-20-2017, 06:46 AM
mantra rubbers are japan made, genesis rubbers are made by DHS

all of the mantra rubbers are insensitive to spin.

the mantra h is faster than tenergy.

stiga rubber made by DHS ? Hmmm...what a combination...

VictorMoraga
03-15-2017, 02:28 AM
Man! this rubber is awesome. I tried Mantra M 2.1 / S 2.1 and 1.9 and i am very happy with this development!

TTHopeful
03-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Someone had it at the club the other day really fast which is good. Genesis to slow for me. Mantra really good for fast easy attacks.

yogi_bear
03-15-2017, 11:19 AM
At least the mantra rubbers are several steps above the airocs and are now comparable with the esn rubbers. I love the hard and medium versions.

P1ngP0ng3r
03-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Some say Genesis is for spin and Mantra is for speed. But I have to disagree. Mantra is both spin and speed. Playing with Mantra M 2mm on Celero (92gr) and it plays great. Mantra M on Infinity is a bit too fast for me and Genesis on Celero is too slow. The Mantra delivers as much spin as Genesis, but the Genesis is less insensitive to incoming spin compared to Mantra.

For me, the major disadvantage of Genesis, is the lack of catapult. Coming from Acuda Blue P2, the difference is pretty big. Mantra on Celero suits me very well.

yogi_bear
03-18-2017, 02:51 PM
You cannot expect too much speed from genesis because they are still chinese rubbers.

Badger
03-19-2017, 02:36 AM
Do you mean less senstive, or more sensitive? Not trying to nitpick here, just clarifying b/c I am thinking about switching to Mantra from Genesis.

Some say Genesis is for spin and Mantra is for speed. But I have to disagree. Mantra is both spin and speed. Playing with Mantra M 2mm on Celero (92gr) and it plays great. Mantra M on Infinity is a bit too fast for me and Genesis on Celero is too slow. The Mantra delivers as much spin as Genesis, but the Genesis is less insensitive to incoming spin compared to Mantra.

For me, the major disadvantage of Genesis, is the lack of catapult. Coming from Acuda Blue P2, the difference is pretty big. Mantra on Celero suits me very well.

P1ngP0ng3r
03-19-2017, 10:40 AM
The Mantra is more sensitive to incoming spin compared to Genesis. That's one of the reasons Genesis offers so much control.

yogi_bear
03-19-2017, 01:29 PM
I feel the opposite. Genesis is more spin sensitive

bobpuls
03-19-2017, 04:42 PM

for one is disadvantage the lack of catapult and for some it is advantage .... but the 2mm version is slower then the max version .... and i have it on my off++ blade and it is fast like hell . and i like the max more then the 2mm version, the genesis is a push block monster the best control yet... plenty of gears ,i think here is on the top over others rubbers . . Now i`m going to use the genesis s on the bh ..... looking promising.

bobpuls
03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
and according this photos the mantra looks like the genesis but is made in japan instead of china ... interesting move from stiga

TT-Chris
03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Can you compare the Genesis with a Tibhar MX-S and the Mantra M with the Xiom Omega V Europe?

bobpuls
03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
i never played tybhar rubbers but i played omega v euro ... and it is a big difference ... genesis looks like euro jap rubber but you have play with it like with chinese rubbers ... however some kind of strokes are more like euro ... for example push does not need this sharp angle like chinese rubbers . the speed is comparable but the grip is much better on stiga and also stiga has more control due softer top sheet and is much better in close to table . flick are eassier... but flat hits are veird on stiga ... the ball just does not now where to fly. spin on drive shots is better for omega but loops are better on stiga ... and from my humble opinion stiga has more gears and the biggest advantage is the weight ... this is just light rubber ,which i need for my heavy blades.

Tinykin
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
i never played tybhar rubbers but i played omega v euro ... and it is a big difference ... genesis looks like euro jap rubber but you have play with it like with chinese rubbers ... however some kind of strokes are more like euro ... for example push does not need this sharp angle like chinese rubbers . the speed is comparable but the grip is much better on stiga and also stiga has more control due softer top sheet and is much better in close to table . flick are eassier... but flat hits are veird on stiga ... the ball just does not now where to fly. spin on drive shots is better for omega but loops are better on stiga ... and from my humble opinion stiga has more gears and the biggest advantage is the weight ... this is just light rubber ,which i need to my heavy blades.

When you say that the Stiga is light, which one are talking about, Genesis or Mantra?

bobpuls
03-19-2017, 08:18 PM
When you say that the Stiga is light, which one are talking about, Genesis or Mantra?
Genesis...sorry....60-62 grams uncut

TableTennisDaily
03-26-2017, 12:24 AM
Fan Zhendong and other STIGA players on the China National Team testing Mantra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXb9adVxcs

Badger
03-26-2017, 12:45 AM
Pimping the new rubber is fine but are any of them going to actually use it?

TurboZ
03-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Fan Zhendong and other STIGA players on the China National Team testing Mantra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXb9adVxcs

Hope Dan can gives us a full review of the Mantra series soon but before that let's hear some brief comments from several CNT players. Too bad they don't tell us the hardness they are testing and what other rubbers they are comparing to so we can only guess. :)

FZD's comment
Because I have tested their rubbers before and this is the latest so there is some differences. I feel more comfy in attacks and some fine tune of rubber is needed in defense. I find the hardness is quite good, including the generation of spin is not bad. I believe a player needs to find a rubber that suits and I find this rubber plays well.

Qi Yibiao's comment
This rubber combo is fast in rally. Grip well in attack. Short fast return is nice, defense is ok. Spin is strong. Trajectory is a bit short. Good at control. Good at both far and close table looping.

ZYL's comment
From its bounce, grip and ball feel, it is similar to what CNT is using. Other thing is that I need to spend more time to get used to the sponge, that includes competitions in different environment and size of space for me to adapt. I don't know how many degree of hardness they have but the one I use suits me well.

Xu Yingbin's comment
I find the sponge has much better grip than before. Also the spin level is increased.

yogi_bear
03-26-2017, 07:24 AM
spin for the genesis M and mx-s are almost the same with the mx-s edging the genesis rubber. arc is higher for the mx-s and it feels harder. i woudl say the mx-s has more gears though. can't say much against the omega europe

ajtatosmano2
03-26-2017, 09:48 AM
At least they didn't have to say "this is one of the best rubbers I've seen".

jedimasterplk
03-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Pimping the new rubber is fine but are any of them going to actually use it?

Nope.

Wasim Al-Haddad
06-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Excellent review guys. I recently bought the Stiga infinity blade and need your advice on the rubber setup. I was thinking of having Tenergy 64 FX on the BH and Mantra Medium on the FH. Is this setup good? And should I go for the 1.9 sponge thickness for better control? Please advise

baumschule
06-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Great review! I would like to know one detail about the hardness of the Mantra M. Does it feel softer or harder than the 45° would suggest? And is it right to assume that is slightly softer than a Tenergy 05?

richrf
10-02-2017, 08:20 PM
This thread unfortunately died out fast. I am surmising for lack of interest, but if someone is actually using Mantra, I was wondering how well does it open up against servers, particularly underspin and how much effort is required. I am getting old.Thanks.

stefanvonkorch
05-12-2019, 11:12 AM
a quick Question, i am new in this forum, I would like to know, which rubber should I choose, Tenergy 05 or the Stiga Mantra H?
which is faster? Please if you could give me your opinion. Best wishes.

yogi_bear
05-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Mantra H is faster but Tenergy is spinnier.

stefanvonkorch
05-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Thank you Sir :)

Wister
06-08-2019, 07:16 PM
I'd like to know what is the hardness of mantra M ? I sometimes see 45° and 48° so not sure which is correct ?

Thanks if anyone knows :)

Sedis
06-08-2019, 09:38 PM
I'd like to know what is the hardness of mantra M ? I sometimes see 45° and 48° so not sure which is correct ?

Thanks if anyone knows :)

I measured a sheet with a Shore O Durometer at 46°, so I suspect it is supposed to be 45°

Wister
06-08-2019, 09:43 PM
I couldn't have hoped a more reliable answer, great to have measured it :) Thanks a lot

hleett
06-10-2019, 08:56 PM
I understand the Mantra is a good rubber as witnessed by so many members in the forum but it shrunk by more than 3mm all around when stripped off the blade. This makes it almost un-reusable without boosting.