Question about the rubbers and a blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this forum. I got a couple of questions to ask.

I have been thinking about to getting a new butterfly rubbers. At the moment, I'm using Andro Plasma with non carbon blade. I'm going to tell you about my table tennis' style. I am an aggressive player and attack close to the table. I am thinking about getting Tenergy 05 for my forehand and shiver (not sure what kind of shiver because theres a different model of a rubber) for backhand. It may help to get a better control while I'm playing game. My Table tennis coach said that its very important to get a control rubbers kind. I know that the Tenergy is pretty quick rubber but as far ive heard its very good control and spiny.

I am wanting to get an upgrade a blade but not sure If I wanted to get carbon or non carbon. Does the Carbon will makes difference? How and explain? I know that carbon can make faster when you hit the ball. Some people were saying that carbon can cause the ball go over the table because its speed. It is worth to get one?

Any thoughts guys?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Emma, welcome to the forum. About your blade, I'm not too familiar with Andro..but all wood blade yes. Tenergy 05 I have to say is extremely good, spinny, pacy and control. Though there are many other rubbers out there which are faster and spinnier, T05 certainly nailed it in terms of balance. I used to use it when it first launched, and as for Sriver, what I can say about it is it's a legend. I used it when I started TT in the 80's right into the 90's. It offers an allround play, with extremely good feel. It's a little softer than T05, and less spinny, but still a lot offer.

As people saying that the ball going over the table if they use carbon blades is an absolute myth. Changing from wood to carbon blades do need some tweaking and adjustments. But there are some slower carbon blades, and there are some really fast wood blades. I think Carl Horowitz will drop you a line as he is well verse in this matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
lol Emma its sriver not shiver :D
For an all wood blade, T05 and Sriver on the backhand would be very nice.
Depending on the technique and the needed control, you could use MAX thickness for maximum attack power but rather limited control close to the table.
Since you prefer a controlled one, 1.9mm thickness on both side will do nicely.

Hope you could found and like your dream setup :)
And yes carbon is not reccomended unless your technique has been improved to a degree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Oh wow thanks guys for the information. Much appreciated. I forgot to add one thing. My forehand is very strong and able to smash very well. My Backhand is slightly weaker but I think Sriver (Thanks YosuaYosan spotted my spelling!!) may help to control with my BH. Thoughts? There are different kind of Sriver rubbers - Sriver, SRIVER G2, SRIVER EL and SRIVER FX. I wasn't sure which one will suits me though. I think the Tenergy rubber may not suitable for my backhand.

Edited: What does the difference between Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX and Tenergy 05? Which one do you recommended?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
If you are close to the table and want control on both sides, but still prefer to play aggressive close to the table I would suggest Sriver EL or Sriver FX (if you choose the FX you want a medium flexible blade)on the backhand with Tenergy 25FX on the forehand. The 25 series is meant for close to the table styles. I personally prefer Chinese rubbers because they give better gears for close to the table or mid and far distance. Carbon blades are okay as long as you try an All + to Off - for your first one. It will be slightly faster than your wood blade assuming you have an average speed ALL-OFF blade. Tenergy 05 should be 1.9 if you want the control, but if you want something with speed and spin with a little less control on the forehand T05 is the better bet, but I'd still suggest the 25FX for your style.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I should probably make a more relevant post here anyway. There is a possibility that you could switch to a carbon blade but as Mr. richarD said you do have the option of looking for a more controlled carbon blade. As with any blade types there is a range of speeds and controls for example I was using a Primorac Off+ carbon blade and was seeking more control in my game so I changed to a Michael Maze Off Carbon and there is quite a difference in speed and control. The other options you have are changing to a blade which has different wood fibres or more plys. A 7 ply blade is faster than a 5 ply blade and a bit heavier, but as you have a close to the table game I would recommend sticking to the 5 ply. At one point I used a blade with a balsa wood core which felt really nice, you can also get the rubber core blades or blades which are hollow in parts and lighter. There are a huge range of blades out there you could choose from. You could look at something like the Butterfly Firehand blade, it's an all wood blade with two different wood plies combined, quite fast for a wood blade but still not carbon fast.

In terms of rubber I'm less use to you if you are looking for butterfly rubber, I've used Tibhar for the past 5 years. I can say at one point I did use tackifire and sriver as a very young junior. I know sriver fx is a softer alternative to tenergy which could be good for your backhand. Personally I'm not a tenergy fan so I'll leave someone else to give you their opinion on that.

Hope that's helpful to you and will see you in 2 weeks