Going from classic rubber to Tenergy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Hey there,
I took a long break from table tennis and started playing again with my Waldner Senso Carbon and 2 x Donic Coppa max, the normal Coppa without any X or Gold or whatsoever.

I really like the grippy topsheet and that I can loop slowly but really spinny and that it is not as bouncy as all those soft ESN rubbers.
What I am missing sometimes is maybe a bit more speed and a better arc on topspins, the ball comes out kinda low, you really have to open the blade a lot to counter heavy underspin to bring it over the net.

I thought about trying out a thin Tenergy 05 since I heard it's not that bouncy as those soft tensors and that it is also grippy but with a higher arc.
Will it be that much faster than my normal Coppa, even if I use 1.7 or 1.9?

A bit faster is what I want, it just shouldn't be too fast. Or is even the 1.7 Tenergy 05 wayyy faster than my 2.3 Coppa?
Money is not an issue, I don't mind paying for Butterfly rubbers more than for other brands.

I wonder what it plays like since I never played a rubber below 2.1 I think.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Anybody at your club play with Tenergy so you can try it? You might be ok with it in 2.1 if you give it some time.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
What is your level? In case you are playing at a somewhat decent level (Kreisliga, Kreisklasse A vorne) I think you can play with the Tenergy 05.

I don't think that speed will be an issue with the T05. It's not as fast as many of the Tensor rubbers. You can go with 1,9 or 2,1 mm.

The problem lies in the short-game as it is quite sensitive to incoming spin and it's not easy to block with T05. You have to be good enough to know what spin is coming your way.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Right now I lose against Kreisliga players (they got 1500/1600 TTR here) but against 1400ers it's pretty close, I think with some more training that's where I will be, I'm far from being at 100% yet. Before my long break I sometimes won against now 1500ers and I think I got the potential of going there.

I tried a Bluefire JP 01 in max of a friend, and it was too fast. I played some great shots sometimes from far behind the table, but made too many mistakes in short game. One great winner doesn't make up for many easy mistakes. But I think this was because of its catapult, the Coppa is pretty linear in regards to Speed, that's what I like really much and I heard that Tenergy is a bit similar in that aspect?
Unfortunately no ones plays Tenergy here, they all play Hexer or that kind of rubbers but I don't like them, they are not 'linear', just randomly bouncy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
Maybe you should go for 05fx. In your level of play short game is not essential and fx versions of Tenergy are easier to handle compairing to normal Tenergy.
Hey there,
I took a long break from table tennis and started playing again with my Waldner Senso Carbon and 2 x Donic Coppa max, the normal Coppa without any X or Gold or whatsoever.

I really like the grippy topsheet and that I can loop slowly but really spinny and that it is not as bouncy as all those soft ESN rubbers.
What I am missing sometimes is maybe a bit more speed and a better arc on topspins, the ball comes out kinda low, you really have to open the blade a lot to counter heavy underspin to bring it over the net.

I thought about trying out a thin Tenergy 05 since I heard it's not that bouncy as those soft tensors and that it is also grippy but with a higher arc.
Will it be that much faster than my normal Coppa, even if I use 1.7 or 1.9?

A bit faster is what I want, it just shouldn't be too fast. Or is even the 1.7 Tenergy 05 wayyy faster than my 2.3 Coppa?
Money is not an issue, I don't mind paying for Butterfly rubbers more than for other brands.

I wonder what it plays like since I never played a rubber below 2.1 I think.

Reactions: doraemon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I would recommend trying the Vega Pro first. It's low cost, high quality and is probably similar to what you are looking for (low speed, high spin, extremely linear). It's also a bit more easier to handle in the short game and while blocking. I really liked using the Vega Pro.

http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-pro/

If you are left wanting a touch more spin and speed, then the T05 would be an upgrade.

05-Fx is softer and bouncer and not that linear, which is why I wouldn't recommend it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Actually I used the Vega Pro years ago :) I really liked the short game and especially blocking, but I found that opening with looping against heavy backspin was not that easy with it as it is with the Coppa, so I didn't try it again after returning. Maybe the rubber was a bit too hard for me? Would that be easier with the Tenergy? But it was a great rubber nevertheless, I'm kinda looking for a mix between Coppa and Vega Pro I guess :)

If the Vega Pro was a bit softer, it would have been my rubber for sure. I also tried Vega Europe but that was garbage, too soft for me.

I read that opening loops with Tenergy are easy, is that true?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I haven't used the Tenergy 05 extensively so I hope someone else can give you a better answer :) I think the sponge hardness is what made it difficult for you to open up against backspin. Vega Pro is pretty hard at 47,5°. I think the Tenergy sponge is 45° so theoretically it should be easier but I hope that someone who has used both rubbers extensively can reply

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
What I remember about the Vega Pro was that I didn't like the topsheet that much, it could have been a bit more grippier. I think that's what is also easy with the Coppa since you can open really soft without using the sponge too much.

I guess I will just have to try it out before the next season starts. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think as long as you play with spin and knows how to read and deal with spin, almost anyone can play with tenergy.

You don't want to touch this rubber if you play flat hits though. MX-P is faster than T05 but T05 itself is plenty fast and has plenty of gears

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am no EJ so my views are not that well founded but I will take a shot here ... how about Omega Pro IV ? I hear the topsheet is good enough to make good spin , you are going to miss the grippiness a little bit now that the game has changed to Plastic ball , so keep that in mind. Tenergy 05 is not that bad close to the table as long as you can shorten your swing when making topspin and using loose hands near the net .. so its about adjustments ... I normally don't prefer softer rubbers like 05 FX because I miss the direct contact ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I haven't used the Tenergy 05 extensively so I hope someone else can give you a better answer :) I think the sponge hardness is what made it difficult for you to open up against backspin. Vega Pro is pretty hard at 47,5°. I think the Tenergy sponge is 45° so theoretically it should be easier but I hope that someone who has used both rubbers extensively can reply

I've been playing with T05 in all available thicknesses but now sticking to 1.9mm.
2.1 was a bit too bouncy and very hard to control on blocking and at the short game.
1.7 was a tiny bit too slow from mid distance for my taste.
So since then i'm stuck with 1.9mm which is just perfect for what i wanna do.

Many people recommend thicker sponge for a spinner's game, due to the fact that thinner sponges bottom out sooner and hence hit through the sponge with the bare wood when hitting hard.

But since I'm rather spinning than hitting i NEVER EVER managed to bottom out with T05!

Maybe I should add though that i only use T05 on my BH and never tried Vega series.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Fabian, the sense I am getting from your answers is, that you want to try Tenergy 05. Go for it. It is great rubber. It may take some adjusting. But it is excellent rubber and you will either adjust to it or you are can go back to Donic Coppa.

Another idea would be to test out what the Donic Coppa plays like with a small amount of booster oil added. That actually might be exactly what you are looking for.

From what you are describing, to me it sounds like one layer of boost should be enough.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
T05 is actualy a slow rubber. Simple rebound test would suggest the COR is about same as Vega Europe.
What's exceptional and people often find(including myself) hard is the high throw angle and easiness to spin.

Like everyone else said, just try it out and decide for yourself. You will always question yourself what ifs until you try the pinnacle of the modern rubbers.

Tenergy 05 and Coppa-X are two completely different rubbers. With T05 your margin for error is a lot less. The spin generated is awesome and the rubber has several gears. Personally i love T05 because it pretty much does what i want from it. I am a big donic fan too, and Coppa-x is a sort of do-it-all rubber. T05 is more of a looper's paradise than a blocker's dream...
Might as well give T05 a try.

Reactions: Suga D and doraemon
This user has no status.
I tried 05 for couple years but found it was too fast for my game. No more Tenergy for me.

That is interesting. I see from your profile that you use Rakza 7 soft now. My experience from using Rakza 7 and Tenergy 05 is that the Rakza is more bouncy and more difficult to control in the close to the table game than Tenergy 05.

I used the regular Rakza 7 though with max sponge thickness and the same for the T05.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I'd say give it a go!

But it's also important to keep in mind that it's not the racket that play, it's you. So it takes som adjustment if you're not used to this rubber, and you might get frustrated at first, but try it out for some weeks, and then if you feel you're not getting anywhere, then you should reconsider.

Good luck, it's a great rubber!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Fabian, the sense I am getting from your answers is, that you want to try Tenergy 05. Go for it. It is great rubber. It may take some adjusting. But it is excellent rubber and you will either adjust to it or you are can go back to Donic Coppa.

Another idea would be to test out what the Donic Coppa plays like with a small amount of booster oil added. That actually might be exactly what you are looking for.

From what you are describing, to me it sounds like one layer of boost should be enough.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Telling someone to TRY tenergy is like give them cocaine and say "here, get used to it first" and then after you know it, you can't separate from it :rolleyes:

T05 is actualy a slow rubber. Simple rebound test would suggest the COR is about same as Vega Europe.
What's exceptional and people often find(including myself) hard is the high throw angle and easiness to spin.

Like everyone else said, just try it out and decide for yourself. You will always question yourself what ifs until you try the pinnacle of the modern rubbers.

What? It's way faster then vega europe. It's not super fast in flat hitting but nothing generates spin while maintaining speed like T05 (well except for boosted H3)