Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome Videos of Ma Long's Career.

What do you think of Ma Long's career so far? :)

315.jpg

Photo by: sports.cn

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thanks Dan
I know the guy who worked at the first video, he is a nice guy! ;)
And the maker of the second video I know too :D

Haha yeah I bet you know the maker of the second video lol :p

Awesome stuff bro, I have also added it to the media library for ya :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think Ma Long's career has been plagued with unfulfilled expectation to be completely honest, he was supposed to be the next World Champion. True injury did set him back in part but I wonder if/when he will win a major title like the World Cup (he hasn't even made a final), World Champs or Olympic Games, that's what the world expected him to achieve. His pro tour career stats are impressive 12/16 with the inclusion of Austrian Open plus one grand finals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think his mental weakness is in the past now .... Zhang said after WTTC 2011 that he was a bit lucky because he didn't meet Ma Long in the finals ... Imagine the tospin from Wang Hao on the edge of the table flew one more milimeter and did not hit the edge ..... Ma Long had had a lead of 3-1 in sets .... if he won one more set he would play against ZJ in the final, and maybe the WTTC champ would be Ma Long, no one would speak of his "mental weakness"

I know there is too much "would"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Have the same opinion like you ... You like him more because he won the last three tournaments? :D

Well I don't like it when people fail to get results under pressure. You should come to the stage and take it, Ma Long had stage fright. I still prefer ZJK of course xD He's more confident and usually more efficient in important points. But Ma Long improved at that, and that is a good thing.

But it comes with winning the tournaments yes, that shows his progression :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Back with a BANG! His shots are better.. not like blind rallies.. he seems to placing his shots more perfectly now.. almost crippling his opponents! He has become better for sure!

Yeah exactly, I was commenting on that like a year ago, Ma Long's old style was about just going crazy offense and pushing the speed like crazy, but that creates problems because it takes away from his own reaction time if his opponent is a good blocker. Now that he takes a little time to aim and produce higher quality as opposed to quantity shots, he is getting to be a better all around player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I used to play with a practice partner of his when he was still on the Beijing team. He used to practice all day while she was at school then she'd come in for a 4 hour session and he'd be practicing with her seeing as they had the same coach. Every time she lost to him she would would have to buy him a soda, but every time he lost to her he had to duck waddle 4 times around the gym lol. It's a very funny story. I have no doubt that she could have been the next Liu Shiwen or Ding Ning, but the coaches were too strict on her. They gave her an ultimatum of education or Table Tennis and she chose the former. She said if they didn't hit her with a cane she may have continued to play at Beijing, but I'm just glad I got to meet her at Penn State.

As for Ma Long's career. It's really just getting started. He has way more potential than Wang Hao or even the veterans had in their day and this is with the new ball, speed glue ban, and rule changes all coming in his career. This PVC ball is gonna be interesting I wonder how it will affect the Chinese players.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it will soon be Ma Long and Zhang Jike in the 1 and 2 slots. The two of them are really adding to development of the sport with the combination of technical attacks of short balls with the banana backhand over the table, forehand loops that are shot from a cannon and tactical play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I used to play with a practice partner of his when he was still on the Beijing team. He used to practice all day while she was at school then she'd come in for a 4 hour session and he'd be practicing with her seeing as they had the same coach. Every time she lost to him she would would have to buy him a soda, but every time he lost to her he had to duck waddle 4 times around the gym lol. It's a very funny story. I have no doubt that she could have been the next Liu Shiwen or Ding Ning, but the coaches were too strict on her. They gave her an ultimatum of education or Table Tennis and she chose the former. She said if they didn't hit her with a cane she may have continued to play at Beijing, but I'm just glad I got to meet her at Penn State.

As for Ma Long's career. It's really just getting started. He has way more potential than Wang Hao or even the veterans had in their day and this is with the new ball, speed glue ban, and rule changes all coming in his career. This PVC ball is gonna be interesting I wonder how it will affect the Chinese players.

Hmm that is interesting. As for the part about the ball change, like every rule in the past, Chinese players put more effort and more time to master the new changes, and therefore I doubt there will be that much change, in terms of rankings or anything. If the physics of the game change slightly with the ball, it still will be the Chinese who first and most thoroughly master the changes.