Rubber for lifting backspin with backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
So I was playing a chopper today, and while we were warming up, he was chopping to my backhand, and I was looping them back. I decided to flip my bat and switch from the Xiom Vega Pro, which I usually use for my backhand, to the Hurricane 3 Neo. For some reason, My shots were much better with it. I was netting less balls, the speed stayed about the same with full effort shots. Only a little bit slower. And basically everything went in. My questions are: Does anyone know why I was having a much easier time with the H3? Is there another rubber that may give me a similar of ease as the H3, but with more speed? and is there something I could be doing technically wrong or different that makes the H3 easier than the Vega pro for lifting backspin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
If your better with H3 your probably brushing alot on your loop, that's where you get a tonne of spin with the tacky rubber. Have a look at contact on the blade. Eg if you hit the ball close to handle or near edge as you will generate more spin at different points. It's all a case of testing get your opponent to chop with less spin, then slowly increase to the point where you are not consistent.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
So I was playing a chopper today, and while we were warming up, he was chopping to my backhand, and I was looping them back. I decided to flip my bat and switch from the Xiom Vega Pro, which I usually use for my backhand, to the Hurricane 3 Neo. For some reason, My shots were much better with it. I was netting less balls, the speed stayed about the same with full effort shots. Only a little bit slower. And basically everything went in. My questions are: Does anyone know why I was having a much easier time with the H3? Is there another rubber that may give me a similar of ease as the H3, but with more speed? and is there something I could be doing technically wrong or different that makes the H3 easier than the Vega pro for lifting backspin?
Tacky rubber like hurricane plays extremely well in lifting back spin, even more spinny than tenergy.

If you use provincial or national hurricane, they have a huge power reservoir. Let's say you are looping a mild backspin ball. You go 30% hitting 70% brushing. The ball can fly like a bullet.

People say Hurricane is slow. It's only true if you don't apply enough force. Ma Long's backhand is a good example.

If you want to try, Skyline 3-60 or Hurricanr 3-50 can be a good choice for backhand.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hurricane 3 is a very safe BH rubber, however in attacking game if you hit the ball a little late it will end in the net. In fast game you must either heavily boost your H3 or use another rubber with more catapult. Hybrid rubbers (Genesis/MX-S) has enough catapult to be a BH rubber and they still has the advantages of H3.

Reactions: BeGo and FloKing
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Tacky rubber like hurricane plays extremely well in lifting back spin, even more spinny than tenergy.

If you use provincial or national hurricane, they have a huge power reservoir. Let's say you are looping a mild backspin ball. You go 30% hitting 70% brushing. The ball can fly like a bullet.

People say Hurricane is slow. It's only true if you don't apply enough force. Ma Long's backhand is a good example.

If you want to try, Skyline 3-60 or Hurricanr 3-50 can be a good choice for backhand.

Totally agree. I'm playin with the National H3NEO in 37° sponge in red on one of my backup blades and was totally amazed by the control. Very nice for the short game and serve receive.
[Emoji106]
And it's still spinny and speedy on flip and fast balls.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Totally agree. I'm playin with the National H3NEO in 37° sponge in red on one of my backup blades and was totally amazed by the control. Very nice for the short game and serve receive.
[Emoji106]
Interesting. I have a 2nd hand Neo provincial H3 red in 37. I have apply at least 5 layers of oil. But the sponge is just as hard as 39. I have tried and it doesn't feel that great.

Is your sponge lively and soft?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
[Emoji106]

Yes, I agree as well. The Nittaku H3 Neo that I am using is basically the same as provincial. I havent really found any disadvantages of using h3 for the backhand. I guess I don't like it because there is a popular opinion that it is a bad bh rubber. are there any other disadvantages besides working hard for the speed that I should be aware of?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Hurricane 3 is a very safe BH rubber, however in attacking game if you hit the ball a little late it will end in the net. In fast game you must either heavily boost your H3 or use another rubber with more catapult. Hybrid rubbers (Genesis/MX-S) has enough catapult to be a BH rubber and they still has the advantages of H3.

Do you think that I will have as easy of a time lifting backspin with the MX-S? Also, how is it as a bh rubber in general?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
The H3 Neo is tacky and not bouncy. That makes it easier to loop backspin. For other things it's not so easy. For instance, far away from the table, with the backhand, it can be hard to have enough power. Still, if it helps you to loop backspin, that can be a big advantage. As someone else already suggested, a Skyline 3-60 (I would go for Mid-Hard) might be a good solution. It's still good in looping backspin, but is better for the things the H3 Neo makes harder. It is tacky, but has a softer sponge than the H3 Neo and is bouncier, but not as bouncy as mainstream european rubbers. A hurricane 3-50 is probably similar, but I never played with it.

I'd say skyline 360. A similar rubber imo not given enough attention is sanwei target national: like 3-60 and 3-50 with tacky top sheet on porous sponge. Designed with fh in mind, it's slightly harder if that's your thing.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is in the leverage and impact given suitable position.

I have used a non tacky Chinese $8 rubber for years on BH and could really spin it up or drive it. My current Elpis is an improved Chinese BH rubber I use .

Some rubbers make it easier to do your task, but it seems s position leversge and impact that determines most of your result.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Interesting. I have a 2nd hand Neo provincial H3 red in 37. I have apply at least 5 layers of oil. But the sponge is just as hard as 39. I have tried and it doesn't feel that great.

Is your sponge lively and soft?

Yeah. It's about the same hardness as T05.
Maybe it's your Booster. Which Booster did you use? Mine was treated with Black Oil.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I really liked Chinese tacky rubbers on the back hand when lifting back spin and most definitely when pushing back spin balls and when touching back short balls. However for me anyway I was not very successful when using it in a backhand topspin rally or counter scenario I became to inconsistent.

Also the skyline 360 is a nice rubber that takes a step towards euro while still being a Chinese tacky. It has a bit more easy speed, you can easily see it has more rebound on straight blocks, and is mid tacky compared to the h3 neo. H350 rebounds a bit more than h3 neo my experience as well but less than skyline 360, and is tackier, same or closer to h3 neo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: