PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Rozena Rubber Review

Dan
05-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Hey all,

Here's our latest review on the highly anticipated Butterfly Rozena Rubber. This rubber uses Butterfly’s famous spring sponge high tension technology also used in the popular Tenergy series. The Rozena is not designed for Butterfly’s, traditional, elite player market. Instead Butterfly’s idea with the Rozena was to develop a rubber for less advanced players or for players who need greater forgiveness and less responsiveness in a rubber then say tenergy gives you.

Watch our full video review below.

For a more detailed review on the Rozena visit the TTD review Center. (https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/rubbers/15360-rozena)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi31tPcpYWU

Have you, or do you use these rubbers? What do you think of them?

Ilia Minkin
05-19-2017, 03:31 PM
That is quick!

Ilia Minkin
05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
BTW, I really like Tom's reverse serve at 11:30, next time you make a review please ask him to use it more :)

Cktenders
05-19-2017, 04:08 PM
I feel mostly the same about the rubber in my short time using it. Quite similar to JP03, with a slightly bouncier short game and a higher catapult in the top end. Hope the durability is better than JP03. The rubber is quite light too. I feel over all your highest quality shots maybe capped compared to a t05 or boosted h3, in terms of speed/spin marginally, but your low quality shots will be better to a much more noticeable degree. My training partner agrees on the receiving end of the hits. My out of position shots now get a serviceable amount of spin where they may not prior with say a-Xiom Euro DF or JP03. I am not a great player so I appreciate the help in the lower quality shots over the slight cap on the top end. I was very worried this would play too bouncy in the short game, but with use it is perfect. It really plays quite tame with pushes. All of this is based on a sample of 1 red sheet in 2.1 (max sponge size I believe for this rubber) on the BH of a 92gr Viscaria. I flipped the racket around against my robot and the FH loop arcs were noticeably lower than H3, even lower than H8. Could really feel the catapult on FH.

Zaid323918
05-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Dan which Bluefire did you compare the Rozena to? Great review but the one I really want to see is Rasanter.

sanavasaraja
05-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I really appreciate the comparisons! And 15 minutes is a great length for a review imo.

Also I have a table tennis crush on Tom. His technique is beautiful!

Thanks once again :)

Kaiwen
05-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Dan, the Rozena is better for the forehand or backhand? what is your feel about this?

yuri.saldon
05-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Can someone compare rozena to 05fx?

I see people comparing with tenergy 05 and sounds pretty much like 05fx.

Maybe rozena is a 05fx with steroids

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Wasim Al-Haddad
05-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Hi I'm planning to get the Stiga infinity vps is the Rozena rubber good for this blade. If yes then is it good for BH

bobpuls
05-19-2017, 07:12 PM
good review ... but still it looks like it is still to sensitive to spin (counters) and still small amount of spin ...
But you have fun
Anyway ... i was awaiting Andro rasanter review which is i thing more interesting rubber then rozena.

DragonOwen
05-20-2017, 10:28 AM

IMO Rozena is different (which I'm happy about actually, don't like 05FX, at least on Apolonia blade with soft outer wood layers...), basically it's because the hardness of the Rozena sponge is muuuuuch closer to 05, than to 05FX, the difference actually IMO quite close to Butterfly specs of sponges of these rubbers: 05 - 36 degrees, Rozena - 35 degrees, 05FX - 32 degrees... Also the arc with Rozena is even more linear than 05, so this is another big difference with big arc of 05FX... So IMHO Rozena and 05FX don't have much in common, very different rubbers...

Takkyu_wa_inochi
05-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the review Dan

i see that there's been no review for Butterfly SpinArt (that I'm using)... Its been available for a while and also been using the Spring Sponge technology and I think its a very under-rated rubber; the price range is similar to Rozena . I'd be happy to have your opinion on this one as well.

John18
05-20-2017, 03:06 PM

i see that there's been no review for Butterfly SpinArt (that I'm using)... Its been available for a while and also been using the Spring Sponge technology and I think its a very under-rated rubber; the price range is similar to Rozena . I'd be happy to have your opinion on this one as well.

Liu Shiwen used to use SpinArt on her BH right..??

Takkyu_wa_inochi
05-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Liu Shiwen used to use SpinArt on her BH right..??

yes I think she did, so did Ai FUKUHARA (FH). I'm using it for my BH... actually I'm trying a bit to play like LIU SW with BH. stay near the table, short stroke form. The rubber is very tacky, you don't need to use the full arm to put a lot of spin. with good wrist and timing you can get good power and spin. There is good control in block, or short game, and for BH serves its excellent.

Suga D
05-20-2017, 04:13 PM

I've been playing with it two years ago. It's really nice. But over here it's more expensive. It's in Tenergy price range.
But a review of it would certainly be welcome.

But speaking of reviews, now back to the topic:

Brilliant review, guys.
Actually i feel a bit tempted to try it now.
[Emoji2]

Suga D
05-20-2017, 08:00 PM
One more question though:
@tom: are you still playing with Genesis, or is the Rozena now locked on your blade?

Dan
05-21-2017, 12:58 AM
BTW, I really like Tom's reverse serve at 11:30, next time you make a review please ask him to use it more :)

Hey Ilia,

Sure ill ask him to use it a bit more often :) Hopefully I can handle and return it :D

Dan which Bluefire did you compare the Rozena to? Great review but the one I really want to see is Rasanter.

Hi Zaid, good question I should have mentioned this. We used the Bluefire M2 rubber in the comparison. Awesome the Rasanter review will be out soon :) Thanks for watching!

Dan, the Rozena is better for the forehand or backhand? what is your feel about this?

Great question! You know, I think the Rozena is a great backhand rubber. I think the feel works well on the backhand, to block and punch well. It is easy to open against backspin to so I personally favour the Rozena on the backhand to the forehand side.

We should have compared the Rozena to a Tenergy FX. The Tenergy FX rubbers are quite a bit softer than the Rozena and quite a bit different to one another as DragonOwen has mentioned.

Hi I'm planning to get the Stiga infinity vps is the Rozena rubber good for this blade. If yes then is it good for BH

I think that's a great combination :) Let us know how you get on with your new setup.

good review ... but still it looks like it is still to sensitive to spin (counters) and still small amount of spin ...
But you have fun
Anyway ... i was awaiting Andro rasanter review which is i thing more interesting rubber then rozena.

Thanks Bobpuls, the Rasanter review will be out soon, stay tuned :)

I've only tried the SpinArt once a while back. Ill try and get a sheet and give it a go and keep you posted.

I've been playing with it two years ago. It's really nice. But over here it's more expensive. It's in Tenergy price range.
But a review of it would certainly be welcome.

But speaking of reviews, now back to the topic:

Brilliant review, guys.
Actually i feel a bit tempted to try it now.
[Emoji2]

Aha thanks Suga! :)

One more question though:
@tom: are you still playing with Genesis, or is the Rozena now locked on your blade?

Tom is back to using Genesis he is playing in the London Grandprix this weekend. Tom is a sponsored STIGA player and uses Genesis as his go to rubber. He loves it.

ttmonster
05-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Absolutely brilliant review , I do agree with Suga and Takkyu that an Spinart review is not out there anywhere ...

I myself have been playing with H8 on my forehand for a while and have been looking at other options ...

Boosting a provincial H3 , Spinart , H3 Neo at 37 degrees ... etc..

So if you can make it happen , it will be really good .... looks like TTD reviews are now becoming the gold standard in equipment review ... really liked the part where you compared it to other rubbers .. its gutsy !

Dan
05-21-2017, 01:13 AM
Absolutely brilliant review , I do agree with Suga and Takkyu that an Spinart review is not out there anywhere ...

I myself have been playing with H8 on my forehand for a while and have been looking at other options ...

Boosting a provincial H3 , Spinart , H3 Neo at 37 degrees ... etc..

So if you can make it happen , it will be really good .... looks like TTD reviews are now becoming the gold standard in equipment review ... really liked the part where you compared it to other rubbers .. its gutsy !

I agree, I will look into Spinart, I have a friend who uses it, will have a chat with him.

H8 on the forehand, nice! Great rubber! Yes I think comparing to other rubbers is really good as it helps users understand where the rubber sits. We have had a lot of requests to compare to other rubbers within the playing footage, so we thought we better crack on with it! :D

Glad you like the review TTMonster!

Jaffar Lone
05-21-2017, 05:16 AM
Seems to me after following all the reviews that the Rozena might be a safe choice for the backhand side. What i am curious to know, is that how it compares to the Tenergy 64-FX.
Thanks for the review Dan.

Suga D
05-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Tom is back to using Genesis he is playing in the London Grandprix this weekend. Tom is a sponsored STIGA player and uses Genesis as his go to rubber. He loves it.

Thanks Dan. I see.

Good luck to Tom. Hope he gets real far.
:)

samsoung
05-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Thx Dan and Tom
as always an awesome review *thumbs up*
I think I will also try the Rozena for my BH, since the control was mentioned.

For your next review, I would be really looking forward to the Nittaku Fastarc-G1 ;), cause it's one of the most popular rubber in the japanese market.

cheers

James Krassowski
05-28-2017, 06:31 PM
looks great

bobpuls
05-29-2017, 05:06 AM
After this week i spook with one player who plays Rozena first time on competition level and she was really disappointed , cause of higher humidity in the hall the Rozena lost most of its grip .. Have you guys more experience like this or it was one of thousandth ?

DragonOwen
05-29-2017, 08:22 AM
After this week i spook with one player who plays Rozena first time on competition level and she was really disappointed , cause of higher humidity in the hall the Rozena lost most of its grip .. Have you guys more experience like this or it was one of thousandth ?
Yes, Rozena can't play in high humidity, wrote about this a while ago: https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15259-Butterfly-Rozena!!!&p=190713&viewfull=1#post190713

yoass
05-29-2017, 10:04 AM
I haven't used it in high humidity, but have first-hand experience of this with T05. Reading this, Rozena suffers even more. We need more data!

Manufacturers probably have sound measurement methods and tons of data about their own, and probably of competitor's stuff as well; wouldn't it be great if that data were opened up. Perhaps this assumption of a systematic, sound engineering-approach if equipment development is wrong; and then having method framework and tool chain for measurements would be no less desirable, to the contrary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pY_iHtycaA is laudable, in that respect. IMNSHO.

Fabian
05-29-2017, 03:09 PM
well about what kind of humidity are you speaking here? I think in Germany I'd be pretty safe, if you live in Asia however...

bobpuls
05-29-2017, 04:27 PM
i`m speaking about Humidity on some days in Slovakia . i have something like moisture film also on tg3-60 on this days ...
but lets say it is going about 75% and more

ttmonster
05-29-2017, 04:42 PM
They won't , these companies regularly steal stuff from each other's research and I have even heard one of my friends who used to work for a small rubber company that one of the bigger companies basically shut them down when they figured that they have something promising coming up ... if they share all the equipment testing results or so , people who are knowledgeable will put 2 and 2 together and figure out what they are upto ... its kind of like the open source vs proprietary argument in software engineering and butterfly is the "Apple" that makes Macs and eyePhones , some flavours of Android comes close but you have to be a table tennis geek to optimize it to work for you as best as a sheet of tenergy ...

but I was curious what does IMNSHO mean , In my not so honest opinion ? Just kidding .. no offense :)

I haven't used it in high humidity, but have first-hand experience of this with T05. Reading this, Rozena suffers even more. We need more data!

Manufacturers probably have sound measurement methods and tons of data about their own, and probably of competitor's stuff as well; wouldn't it be great if that data were opened up. Perhaps this assumption of a systematic, sound engineering-approach if equipment development is wrong; and then having method framework and tool chain for measurements would be no less desirable, to the contrary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pY_iHtycaA is laudable, in that respect. IMNSHO.

yoass
05-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Humble. As in, not so.

ajtatosmano2
05-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Humidity affects pretty much all the rubbers. If you used to play in a that humid hall, then you can look for a rubber which is better in such environment, however if you rarely have problems with moisture, then don't care about that aspect of a rubber.

akoozab
06-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Yesterday I glued Rozena on Jike Szlc! I liked it very much, although I did not make it through, I recommend! They write that the rubbers does not like the moisture-the room can be said to be wet, but the clutch is not gone, maybe while the new ones ... The pair together delivered approximately 5500 roubles, there are photos In my insta remontitochka

iamme
06-08-2017, 12:21 PM
So they create a rubber for amateurs who can't handle tenergy and the 2nd best player in the world ends up using it.
Proof that not even butterfly knows what they are doing.

ajtatosmano2
06-08-2017, 12:40 PM
So they create a rubber for amateurs who can't handle tenergy and the 2nd best player in the world ends up using it.

Yeah, Zhu Yuling using Rozena shocked me too. But don't forget that women tend to have longer rallies and better stability might worth more than the extra spin. I don't think we will see any men using it in the top 100.

Another thing to consider is the reaction to boosters. I believe none of the forum members tried to boost it and it might be way better with tuning. For example Sriver is a mediocre rubber at best, but with speed-glue it was amazing (I've never tried, but everyone says so)
And Wang Hao, who had a very-very good RPB, used Sriver topsheet with Bryce sponge.

yoass
06-08-2017, 12:45 PM

You sure about that? Rozena isn't the only pink sponge rubber, there's also that new Gewo Hype KR Pro, see https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15215-SUNNYSIX-rubbers-GEWO-Hype-KR-Pro(Yoo-Nam-Kyu)-ITC-with-Ryu-Seung-Min which I would consider more plausible, prima facie.

gekogark1212
06-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Here you go mate:
https://world-tt.com/blog/yu/
https://world-tt.com/blog/yu/files/2017-06-06_15-05-37.jpghttp://world-tt.com/blog/yu/files/2017-06-06_15-08-15.jpghttp://world-tt.com/blog/yu/files/2017-06-06_15-08-47.jpghttps://world-tt.com/blog/yu/files/2017-06-06_15-10-05.jpghttps://world-tt.com/blog/yu/files/2017-06-06_15-12-01.jpg

Hanan Joseph
06-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Hi, do you think the rozena is suitable as modern defence fh rubber? Currently using tibhar el-p

ajtatosmano2
06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Hi, do you think the rozena is suitable as modern defence fh rubber? Currently using tibhar el-p

It depends on if you want to chop with FH or not. If yes, don't buy Rozena. Rozena is bouncy and bouncy rubbers are bad for chopping. If you want just loop and lob with FH then you can go for Rozena. However I think there are better options for modern defence. But I don't know your level, how much do you loop, how much do you lob and if you are playing closer or further to the table. Maybe you could name a player with similar style and tell us what blade do you use and what is your level (which league,rating points, years of experience etc) .

Hanan Joseph
06-09-2017, 08:45 PM
It depends on if you want to chop with FH or not. If yes, don't buy Rozena. Rozena is bouncy and bouncy rubbers are bad for chopping. If you want just loop and lob with FH then you can go for Rozena. However I think there are better options for modern defence. But I don't know your level, how much do you loop, how much do you lob and if you are playing closer or further to the table. Maybe you could name a player with similar style and tell us what blade do you use and what is your level (which league,rating points, years of experience etc) .

I'm not very good player. I return playing after almost 15 years.
Long long time ago I used butterfly renova.
I play with Galaxy 980 def, tibhar el+p, friendship 755 1.0 mm
I would say my style is 70% attack from the FH and 30% long distance chop.
What modren defence​ FH rubbers you recommend?

Audrey17
06-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Good review ... Short game is easy to play with this rubber.

mart1nandersson
01-04-2019, 04:35 PM
First of all: sorry for waking up an old thread.

So I finally took the advice that I was given by a coach some 6 months ago and decided to give Rozena a go. It has really paid off especially in match play. I’ve currently got it on a Korbel Japan and it feels great except for certain forehand strokes where it feels way too fast.

I have ave two other blades that I love: Stiga Azalea and Nostalgic Allround. Which blade do you think would suit Rozena best? Would a fairly soft blade like the Azalea mismatch with a spring sponge type rubber?

thomas.pong
01-05-2019, 10:02 AM
First of all: sorry for waking up an old thread.

So I finally took the advice that I was given by a coach some 6 months ago and decided to give Rozena a go. It has really paid off especially in match play. I’ve currently got it on a Korbel Japan and it feels great except for certain forehand strokes where it feels way too fast.

I have ave two other blades that I love: Stiga Azalea and Nostalgic Allround. Which blade do you think would suit Rozena best? Would a fairly soft blade like the Azalea mismatch with a spring sponge type rubber?

I'm also interested in this as I own a Korbel JP and Azalea myself and have been interested in the Rozena rubber having tried it but on other blades owned by clubmates. By the way, do you have the Azalea OFF or ALL version?

mart1nandersson
01-05-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm also interested in this as I own a Korbel JP and Azalea myself and have been interested in the Rozena rubber having tried it but on other blades owned by clubmates. By the way, do you have the Azalea OFF or ALL version?

I’ve got the allround version of the Azalea. I guess it’s mainly technique as I’ve only played with Rozena for about three weeks (maybe 25h) but I still got a feeling that a slower blade would help.

jammmail
01-05-2019, 01:07 PM
I'm using Rozena FH and BH on my Yasaka Sweden Extra and am really liking it, also found it a bit fast to start with especially on FH but hasn't taken long to get used to.

mart1nandersson
01-05-2019, 05:06 PM
I'm using Rozena FH and BH on my Yasaka Sweden Extra and am really liking it, also found it a bit fast to start with especially on FH but hasn't taken long to get used to.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it some more time before trying out another blade.

thomas.pong
01-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Would a fairly soft blade like the Azalea mismatch with a spring sponge type rubber?

To answer your original question, I don't think the Rozena being a 42-43 degree hardness rubber on the euro scale would mismatch your Azalea ALL. A softer spring sponge/tensor type might, but 42-43 is still a relatively hard and fast rubber. Many of the good youth players at my club still use ALL+ blades with medium or medium soft rubbers (including Rozena for some) and they send bullets and very spinny shots, having of course really good technique. I've tried their setups and they feel very good. A teammate is going to give me a sheet of Rozena (he tried it for half the season but still prefers T05FX), so I'll get a chance to try it on my Korbel JP and Azalea OFF soon!

jammmail
01-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it some more time before trying out another blade.

What thickness you using? I have max on FH and 1.9 on BH - which is working really nice, and seems more consistent.

mart1nandersson
01-06-2019, 12:27 PM
What thickness you using? I have max on FH and 1.9 on BH - which is working really nice, and seems more consistent.

2,1mm. It works amazing for shots that has been problematic before like the forehand short game / serve receives. The loop took a few hours to adjust but I’m still struggling with flat shots like drives (quite a few going long) and smashes (putting quite a few in the net).

The backhand is fantastic. Quite similar to Stiga Mantra S so I didn’t have to change anything. It’ll be interesting to get some feedback from the coach when our proper training sessions starts this coming week.

jammmail
01-06-2019, 02:41 PM
2,1mm. It works amazing for shots that has been problematic before like the forehand short game / serve receives. The loop took a few hours to adjust but I’m still struggling with flat shots like drives (quite a few going long) and smashes (putting quite a few in the net).

The backhand is fantastic. Quite similar to Stiga Mantra S so I didn’t have to change anything. It’ll be interesting to get some feedback from the coach when our proper training sessions starts this coming week.

Interesting almost identical to me in terms of what seems good and whats trickier. Im off to practice this afternoon so hopefully can make some more progress. :-)