Difference between rubbers

says what [IMG]
Due to black dye, the black topsheet are more grippy and tend to have more spin.
This is comparing the exact same rubber (and sponge), but only differences is the topsheet

It is because of this, most of your pros tend to have black on the FH
Is this *really* true? I've heard it used to be true, but I'm not so sure now. I thought it was too, but people who know better seem to think it's not true.

Ma Lin used red on FH last time I checked. I think the black on forehand is because there's simply no red topsheet blue sponge, or at least I've never heard of one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Is this *really* true? I've heard it used to be true, but I'm not so sure now. I thought it was too, but people who know better seem to think it's not true.

Ma Lin used red on FH last time I checked. I think the black on forehand is because there's simply no red topsheet blue sponge, or at least I've never heard of one.

True.
I personally feel it too when doing a spin test.
Most pros I know say so too
The last time I saw Ma Lin use Red on his FH was when he was using Globe 999 in the days of speed glue

This user has no status.

From my experience with many samples of Hurricane 3 (Provincial/National), it is true that Black grips more easily than Red. The tack is also greater with Black. I don't know what the real reasons are for this, but I don't see the same variation between color for MX-P or Tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think I have read Carl saying that this thing kind of feeds itself , because everybody wants Black Hurricanes on their forehand, the red once remain on the shelves longer and that also causes it to loose the grippiness etc ..

I personally tested from my stock (assembly bats for customers), rubbers where black are indeed grippier than the red counterpart. I would say its easier to check with the sponge is harder as softer sponge catapult too much
surprised not much people so far feel this...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Funny. What companies can't figure out how to make the red and black topsheets respond the same? How good are the scientists on their R&D team?

Not sure I'd want to buy a rubber from company that can't sort that out. The formula should be fairly easy.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says what [IMG]
Funny. What companies can't figure out how to make the red and black topsheets respond the same? How good are the scientists on their R&D team?

Not sure I'd want to buy a rubber from company that can't sort that out. The formula should be fairly easy.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
From what I've seen, it's not so much a case of "Make the product, then apply dye" as much as applying the dye as the product is being made. So I can understand why the color and characteristics might not be completely separate. The dye is part of the process of chemical reactions.

Dyes are always made of something, like petroleum for example, to my knowledge we don't have some kind of "color materials" that allow us to subtract and add wave-lengths as we wish.

Why the chemists at rubber production teams haven't figured out how to produce dyes that aren't radically different from each other in performance impact, I don't know.

What i have noticed is that the same rubber in red color tends to have bit more pace and a bit more catapult as compared with the same rubber of the black color. Infact one of my former coaches is also of the same opinion. Both him and i use red color for the forehand sponge and black color for the backhand sponge.

I am not sure about DHS rubbers or 729, however with the Hexer Duro i found out that the black sheet responded somewhat differently as compared with the Red sheet. Black was absorbing the incoming spin that much better. However when it came to opening loops the red was noticeably better in terms of spin.

I've heard some people say the black/red top sheet version of certain rubbers is better. Is it true that the same rubber can have different qualities based on what colour the top sheet is?

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
this is what Larry Hodges had to say about this back in 2014 .. .

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1949

True. There was a reason for different behaviour (red faster, black spinnier), but there is no reason anymore. Of course for rubbers produced to an old recipe (729, Coppa, Sriver, the likes ...) this might still be the case, on anything modern it shouldn´t.

However, with two sheets of the same rubber in 2.0 mm you could have a red one that´s 1.89 and a black one that´s 2.02 - and you´d feel a difference. And sometimes even whole series can be crap in one colour and good in the other, so there are plenty reasons why the myth lives on.

This user has no status.
What I can say for sure as graphics technician is that red pigment was most problematic throughout whole human history. I would guess that there are same problems with rubber manufacturing. With lesser certainty I can say that with some model's of rubber we do get red sheets of rubbers noticeably softer than black, for example Tibhar evolution MX-P rubbers. This is not only my personal opinion but from much better players than me as well.. I would guess not many people notice this because they don't play with hard enough rubbers and most do prefer softer rubber on one side, usually backhand. Second example where red sheet is much softer and so much that it actually curls up (reverse dome) and it is a problem to reglue it would be Xiom Vega Pro.
My experiences are with 2.0 and max thickness rubbers, mostly max, I dont know if it applies to thinner sponge rubbers.

Edit: all other things being equal, there is less of a contrast between the ball and red rubber sheet so it's harder to see contact on services.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
this is what Larry Hodges had to say about this back in 2014 .. .

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1949

That is a very interesting story. Yet somehow I think John Hilton should have figured in it prominently, "who sensationally won the singles event at the Table Tennis European Championships in 1980 at odds of over 1,000-1. His use of a revolutionary combination bat, with different rubbers on either side, completely bamboozled his opponents, coupled with his defensive play, and led to one of sport's greatest upsets." (quoting <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hilton_(table_tennis)> here).

I've seen him play back then, and there's stuff on Youtube that shows how hideously graceful and powerful players like Jacques Secretin got turned into bumbling fools at the table; e.g.

There's a brief recap of that 1980 upset, and it's painful to watch:

As good a reason as any in any case.