Gina Pota Interview WR 46

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Follow my blog on facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/MattHetheringtonsTTBlog

I got a great opportunity from Killerspin to interview an attractive and talented ambassador and player of table tennis. Gina Pota was a gold medalist in the 2007 teams event at the European Championships in Belgrade and made the 3rd round of the 2008 Beijing Games where she lost to China's Nan Wang eventual silver medalist of the event. She is a member of the Killerspin Krew, you can find more info on Killerspin's team here.

Full Name: Georgina Pota
Date Of Birth: 13.01.1985
Nation represented: Hungary
Highest World Ranking: 34 (46 at present)
Equipment Used?
Blade: Killerspin Diamond CQ
FH Rubber: Tenergy 64
BH Rubber: Joola Express

20080521_161642_Georgina_Pota_0.jpg

Killerspins' Gina Pota out at the table
Image from mytabletennis.net

Your Career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when and how did you start?
I have been playing table tennis for 21 years. I started when I was 5 years old. My mother also played table tennis when she was young and inspired me.

What is your next big goal for table tennis?
My next big goal is to get a medal at the European Championship.

Who is your favourite international player and why?
It is Timo Boll who has chance to win against Chinese.

What do you think is the place of fashion in women's table tennis?
It is important to look good at the tables as well because of the spectators, sponsors and media.

Are you a supporter of skirts and sports dresses for women or shorts?
I prefer skirts and dresses.

What do you think of the state of women's table tennis around the world?
The table tennis is not so popular for people to watch it rather to play for hobby. For example the tennis much more popular than table tennis because my sport is too quick to follow the play on TV.

Generally people like watching men's table tennis more than women's.

pota2_06_10_11_Large.jpg

Gina Pota
Image Courtesy of ITTF

Off the Topic Questions

Who’s your favourite sportsperson of all time?
It is Rafa Nadal because he is a very good player and fantastic sportsmen.

Favourite food?
Fried cheese, pizza.

What do you do when you aren't playing table tennis?
I like going to cinema and playing tennis.

Dream Car?
Bugatti Veyron.

Ideal holiday destination?
Maldive, Bali Islands. I like the sea.

First thing you would do if you won $1million?
I would visit my boyfriend who has been studying in Tampa (USA). and I would buy my dream car of course. I would travel a lot.

Your Team Mates

Who’s the funniest player in the training hall?
Nobody because everybody focus on training and practice hard

Who trains the hardest in the training hall?
I don’t deal with the others I am just concentrate on myself.

Who’s the funniest team player?
Irene Ivancan.

Who has the best nickname?
Petra Lovas “Moki”.

And Lastly

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message for other table tennis players looking to succeed?
Believe in yourself, work hard and enjoy the play.

A couple of great Killerspin Spinvitational
points Gina vs. Zhang Yining

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome interview Matt!

What a great player and person, interesting what she says about the comparison between table tennis and tennis. Perhaps the ITTF president's (Sharara's) innovation to slow the game down even more after London 2012 may see a rise in participation and in viewing figures.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't agree with them on that Dan. I think they just need to stop copying other sports arenas and start working on filming it better with different cameras with different angles. I personally love the shots from the right angles or left for lefty's and I think it helps capture the game better both for spectators and players. You can see how they do their technique and you can also see the ball arc in the air rather than that poor perception from above. Plus we won't have as many debates on illegal services, because we'd be able to see what the opponent sees.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I don't agree with them on that Dan. I think they just need to stop copying other sports arenas and start working on filming it better with different cameras with different angles. I personally love the shots from the right angles or left for lefty's and I think it helps capture the game better both for spectators and players. You can see how they do their technique and you can also see the ball arc in the air rather than that poor perception from above. Plus we won't have as many debates on illegal services, because we'd be able to see what the opponent sees.

Very true, exciting stuff Richard. We need more of this, its seen in Tennis with the Hawk Eye and many other sporting example.. There needs to be some new innovators in the hierarchy of the table tennis world.