Looking for KPEN blade

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
At my club there's a young player who is eager to experiment. He's very talented, and I admire that willingness to experiment freely.

One of the things he's not afraid to try is various penholder styles. He has held a KPEN blade at some tournament and liked it a lot; as he recalls, it was slightly smaller than most (by about 20%). So whenever I'm at a shop I ask for KPEN blades — I even asked at the brand shops at WTTC. Yet, this being Yurp, nobody carries that kind of gear. My searches (admittedly, rather shallow) have turned up nothing as well.

Perhaps anybody knows of an Internet shop that sells Korean-style penholder blades? And maybe somebody would even have ideas about what this slightly smaller KPEN frame would be?

Reactions: BeGo
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I assume it's similar to JPEN?

To me they look the same, but my level of knowledge in this area is extremely low. I think the handle would be something like the following:

hqdefault.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You can see at tt-japan.
Table tennis 11 also has some jpens, but much less options.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If I didn't love my clipper and was looking to ever jump back into JPen, I've been saying it for a good while now.

Nittaku Sou 100%.

1 - Nittaku makes fantastic blades.
2 - It's double sided so you don't have to be stuck in the 80s or ever get frustrated by not being able to play a more modern style.

Tabletennis11.com has a round version & rectangular one also.

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/catalogsearch/result/?q=nittaku+sou

And if for some bizarre reason one is against putting two rubbers on, you can always play with the back side bare or get a paint sheet and play just 1 sided. You have options.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
well, it is actually called Jpen

Koreans just like to claim everything (ie Jeremy Lin is Korean too, Confucius is Korean too etc)
Its like an America using Cpen, and decided to name it Apen

Most of online stores call it Jpen

You get different kinds of Jpen, some are designed for rpb, some are designed to twiddle, there are also different shapes and thickness

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe Japanese do not use Japanese Penhold blade so much anymore and the Koreans got real good at them... Yet in amature TT, ex-pro coaches seem to collective refuse to coach anyone in penhold.

There are only a small percentage of "Hold-outs" usually good Div 1 players or crusty old-school Div 4 gents who still use the penhold. Some of this crowd have swithched to C-Pen, some have made mods to their C-Pen blade to make it more J-Pen like 2-sided usable.

Penhold will never die in Korea, but it is darned scarce nowadays and no way one could say K-Pen with a straight face any moar.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Maybe Japanese do not use Japanese Penhold blade so much anymore and the Koreans got real good at them... Yet in amature TT, ex-pro coaches seem to collective refuse to coach anyone in penhold.

There are only a small percentage of "Hold-outs" usually good Div 1 players or crusty old-school Div 4 gents who still use the penhold. Some of this crowd have swithched to C-Pen, some have made mods to their C-Pen blade to make it more J-Pen like 2-sided usable.

Penhold will never die in Korea, but it is darned scarce nowadays and no way one could say K-Pen with a straight face any moar.

Yep
this is just like Cpen, less and less people/coaches are using/recommending it.
In Taiwan, mostly the older generation use Jpen
of the very little that are penholders there, all use Cpen.

In general Jpen has a better blocking game and fh speed
whereby Cpen will allow better allround game and spin game.
Cpen imo is still more complete than Jpen.
Hence you now get some Cpen shape with Jpen handle to make it "best of 2 worlds"

To help OP, Nittaku, Darker, Butterfly all have great Jpen options

Reactions: yoass