PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Serve in the World!

Dan
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Check out the fastest serve ever by Japanese wonderkid and future World Champion Asuka Sakai.William Henzell from TTEDGE quotes on his youtube channel that "This serve is no fake. At least 30 witnessed this serve in the hall at the Werner Schlager Academy yesterday!!"

http://www.wsa-tt.com/system/html/wsa_inside-f1541a37.jpg
Photo by: WSA-TT.com

How on earth does he do it? Can anyone come close to this? This serve was taken on film in the Werner Schlager Academy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDVXPrLVkg

NEW just in --- Slow Mo Version ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e_YjUYO4PI

YosuaYosan
10-11-2011, 11:34 PM
NO WAAAAAAAAY :0
That is purely stunning ! I want to learn that LOL !
Japan's new supah WEPOON !

nicson123
10-11-2011, 11:47 PM
How would you even return that?!?!?

Dan
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
The ITTF President may want to ban this one hehe, not to sure how it would go down in terms of rallies lol

ttEDGE - William
10-12-2011, 07:11 AM
It's pretty amazing. When you've got 20 professional players standing around shaking their heads then you know it's something out of the ordinary. I've had a few requests for slow-mo of the serve so people can see what is happening, so watch out for this.

Michal_Z
10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I dont really understand that..
It looks like he is playing underspin on the serve!
But when you play underspin, the ball doesnt go back to table, its floating higher..! So how on earth managed he leave the second bounce on the table ???
Can someone explain me this???

Steven
10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I dont really understand that..
It looks like he is playing underspin on the serve!
But when you play underspin, the ball doesnt go back to table, its floating higher..! So how on earth managed he leave the second bounce on the table ???
Can someone explain me this???

It's mostly topspin/sidespin. He's not hitting the ball with his forehand (black side), but with his backhand (red side).

Justchill
10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
WTF is that...

benlarcombe
10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
That's ridiculous

azlan
10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Holy mackerel!!!! Super serve! I doubt I can serve that fast.

YosuaYosan
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe it is underspin. But theoritecally it is impossible. But the ball when done with an underspin yet fast enough, it will produce a dead ball and it will bounce higher in the first serve. I am confused lol.

But I think it is topside in some way. The ball is first directed more to the middle but the sidespin will give more length to the ball to travel therefore more velocity could be applied.
Or maybe it is pure topspin. If you look closely, he struck the ball with massive flex of his wrist. But I think it is a topside.
He also bounce the first ball very close on his side. Oh he also use his backhand to hit the ball..

Damn this could evolve the game like when Japan invented the inverted rubber and the loop drive simultaneously..

And what the heck is BollForte doing there with a very closed mind like dat :\

dici
10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
where is the ball ? x.x

this is just way too fast for me

WiWa
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe it is underspin. But theoritecally it is impossible. But the ball when done with an underspin yet fast enough, it will produce a dead ball and it will bounce higher in the first serve. I am confused lol.

But I think it is topside in some way. The ball is first directed more to the middle but the sidespin will give more length to the ball to travel therefore more velocity could be applied.
Or maybe it is pure topspin. If you look closely, he struck the ball with massive flex of his wrist. But I think it is a topside.
He also bounce the first ball very close on his side. Oh he also use his backhand to hit the ball..

Damn this could evolve the game like when Japan invented the inverted rubber and the loop drive simultaneously..

And what the heck is BollForte doing there with a very closed mind like dat :\

Yea he hits the ball on the top, while it is falling down. Incredible timing and accuracy to produce a serve like that I guess xD. But he throws the ball a little towards himself as well it seems.

UpSideDownCarl
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
If he is hitting with the red side, and it looks like he is, then the bat face that contacts the ball is facing almost straight down. It is sort of like when someone does a Tomahawk with the backhand side.

There is a point between 27 and 29 seconds where he is rehearsing how he is contacting the ball and he is putting the ball right near the edge on the backhand side of the rubber with the rubber facing almost straight down.

However fast this serve is, I think the top players would see it coming and the flaw with fast serves, if you do not surprise your opponent, they can come back even faster. That being said, I will try this. :)

GDP
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks like he is hitting the ball with the backhand side of blade. There's a slo mo vid on youtube.

Gotta try this tonight.

GDP
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Here's the link to slo mo of this serve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxGhZps1PY&feature=related

Bollforte94
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
So he hits the ball with the backhand rubber?

YosuaYosan
10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Here's the link to slo mo of this serve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxGhZps1PY&feature=related

Very very nice to observe :D
Thanks alot for the share :)

This will be even more clear when Henzell upload the hi speed camera version ! O YEA !

UpSideDownCarl
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
The ball is also bouncing so close to the edge on his side and on the far side. Pretty cool how much more easy it is to see what he is actually doing with the slow motion. I had paused and saw he was contacting with the red side but it was not as easy to see the angle he uses on his arm, which is also what you have to do when you do a backhand tomahawk, which is really what this is, but a really fast one. :) When I have tried it before it felt really hard to do a backhand tomahawk serve. So this serve cannot be easy. :)

major
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I do that daily :p

Na that's amazing! It looks like hes doing it so casually

Wilco
10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Nice, I go try to do this serve to.

Michal_Z
10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Yees, it is backhand, so it is top side .. that makes sense..
Anyways, it has to be pretty difficult, because even when he is serving, the ball lands on the white line, so it is big possibility that it goes off..
But if someone doesnt know if, from the beginning it looks like he is going to serve forehand underspin.. this must be surprising, dont think that if someone doesnt know it will put that back..

homer_123
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
That serve is going in my repertoire.

Dan
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I want to see players trying to receive this serve in the Werner Schlager Academy. Ill ask William Henzell to see what he can do! :)

Michal_Z
10-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Good, great!
I am going to try serve this one tomorrow, im wondering how will I do :D

WiWa
10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Good, great!
I am going to try serve this one tomorrow, im wondering how will I do :D

I tried it a very few times. Couldn't even produce a serve hitting both sides using topspin with that technique. It must be really tight.

UpSideDownCarl
10-15-2011, 03:08 AM
It took me a few tries to start getting it on, but once you get used to it, it is not that hard. I did it slow first but then I was able to get it somewhat fast. I have serves that I can do faster at this point, but, I think if I practice it a little more I will be able to get it pretty fast. The spin was weird. It was curving right and then after the bounce it went left. I asked a couple of people to receive it and if it had good spin on the ball, when they tried to recieve the ball went up in the air. Then a friend got used to the spin and was just putting it back easy but everyone had trouble with it at first.

moriguchi2
10-16-2011, 12:38 AM
i do this serve too but its 1/3 the speed hahah

Dan
10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Awesome to hear you guys practicing the serve. Please upload videos when you perfect it :))

By the way, Englands Gavin Evans is playing against Asuka Sakai (worlds fastest server!) in the Swedish Open this week :).. Hope there will be some videos of him

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Michal_Z
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Well me and my friend tryed it and we were not able to put the second bounce on the table.. :D
We will try harder!

WiWa
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Wilco I love ur avatar by the way haha!

Ovtcharov
10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I tried this service a few times yesterday. At first I wasn't even able to hit it, after a few tries I managed to get it on the table 1 out of 10 times.

When I manage to get it on the table I'm sure it's very surprising because it's quite fast. But with a success rate of less then 10% I don't think I will often use it in official games. :D

Maybe i'll make a video to compare my speed with Asuka's.

homer_123
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
OK, well I spent about 30 mins last night after practice having a go at the serve.

2 things. Firstly to get to a situation where you are able to use this serve in a match will require a hell of a lot or practice, way more than any other serves I've come across. Secondly, if you got to a position where you could use it - it's more of a 'surprise' serve than a regular in your armory, in my opinion.

Saying that, I got to a situ where I was getting 2 or 3 on out of 10 serves (not good enough for match play obviously) - my opponent explained that the the most surprising aspect is the 'kick' on the second bounce - he was comfortable with the speed of the serve but the extra 'kick' with the spin meant the ball was on him quicker then he expected and he was struggling to get used to that.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Wilco
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Someone knows more about this player?

Dan
10-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Well this serving wonder kid (Asuka Sakai) played in the Swedish Open 2011 and lost to Gao Ning 4-0 with scores 11-6,11-3,11-9,11-6.

I would like to see this match, I think Gao must not of had to much trouble with the serves...? I think the serves would cause damage to any other player outside the top 70 in the world.

WiWa
10-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Well this serving wonder kid (Asuka Sakai) played in the Swedish Open 2011 and lost to Gao Ning 4-0 with scores 11-6,11-3,11-9,11-6.

I would like to see this match, I think Gao must not of had to much trouble with the serves...? I think the serves would cause damage to any other player outside the top 70 in the world.

Maybe he doesn't use the serve in matches. He probably misses a lot of them too, but it doesn't show in the video ;)

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
it's definetely no fake^^
i was there when the japanese practised and yess, that serve is really impressive :O :D

Dan
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
it's definetely no fake^^
i was there when the japanese practised and yess, that serve is really impressive :O :D

Wow you was in the practice hall when the player did this serve!?

Dan
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Maybe he doesn't use the serve in matches. He probably misses a lot of them too, but it doesn't show in the video ;)

Hehe fair point WiWa, the day he can perfect it in a match, is the day we see him rise straight up in the rankings?

I've just searched his ranking and cannot find him... does he have one? His name is Asuka Sakai

WiWa
12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Hehe fair point WiWa, the day he can perfect it in a match, is the day we see him rise straight up in the rankings?

I've just searched his ranking and cannot find him... does he have one? His name is Asuka Sakai

Haha probably. But all of his serves have the same motion, most are backhand tomahawk serves. A little bit like Kenta, but Sakai doesn't really put alot of time into preperation lol. He gets to the table, tosses and BANG. Sidespin serve :) Also he doesn't bend his knees much, just like in this video. Well he doesn't have to :) All the serves are pretty long. I only saw 1 match of him though, so maybe it is different in other matches :P

Dan
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Haha probably. But all of his serves have the same motion, most are backhand tomahawk serves. A little bit like Kenta, but Sakai doesn't really put alot of time into preperation lol. He gets to the table, tosses and BANG. Sidespin serve :) Also he doesn't bend his knees much, just like in this video. Well he doesn't have to :) All the serves are pretty long. I only saw 1 match of him though, so maybe it is different in other matches :P

Haha yes very true, do you have the link to this match of him WiWa?

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
@Dan:
yes i were there. of course, i didn't practise with the pros (like the japanese did) but with the junior group, a few tables away :D

Dan
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
@Dan:
yes i were there. of course, i didn't practise with the pros (like the japanese did) but with the junior group, a few tables away :D

Wow really thats cool!

Can you give me an insight to how it is there... Did you pay to train there?

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 10:13 PM
yeah it's great...no i don't pay for the training, because all members of the austrian youth national teams can practise there for free, and i'm also playing for the local club^^

Dan
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
yeah it's great...no i don't pay for the training, because all members of the austrian youth national teams can practise there for free, and i'm also playing for the local club^^

Wahh thats awesome! Please get some photos and videos of your training there :)

Maybe some behind the scenes footage :P

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
haha okay :)
i'll take some photos before and after training in the next few days and then i'll load them up on the weekend :D

Dan
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
haha okay :)
i'll take some photos before and after training in the next few days and then i'll load them up on the weekend :D

Thanks I look forward to them. Train hard :)

Spookytone
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Here is a video from the Junior WC 2011. With Asuka Sakai (Jpn) vs Harmeet Desai (Ind):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coIbklEUNE

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
of course i will :P

WiWa
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Ah I watched that match live, didn't know it was on YouTube as well. Thanks Spookytone :)

Mr. RicharD
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
If anyone hasn't noticed yet he pulled a Xu Xin. He's hitting with the backhand side of his rubber (i.e. red) which is how he can topspin to freaking fast. Fast underspin balls will float at the end of their bounce making their second bounce incredibly hard to judge where it will land. With the topspin bounce the balls will come down at the end of their bounce making their trajectory easier to judge.

It's pretty awesome how he figured out how to do this because I couldn't I tried it so many different ways, but it wasn't until I saw the slow motion that I realized he's using a western badminton or tennis action on the ball.

brooder
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Hm, I would like to give this serve a shot with my short pips :)

Dan
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Here is a video from the Junior WC 2011. With Asuka Sakai (Jpn) vs Harmeet Desai (Ind):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coIbklEUNE

Thanks for video!

Awesome serves, amazing variation! ... In the 7th set Harmeet played amazing!

Michal_Z
12-06-2011, 11:54 PM
It was very funny, I really laughed about how the umpire was saying the points.. heh..
Anyway - I didnt see the fastest serve in there.. :(

Ovtcharov
12-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Hm, I would like to give this serve a shot with my short pips :)No offence, but you won't be able to do this serve with short pips. :confused:

Bullz1
01-03-2012, 03:37 AM
How did he do that?

judah000
01-04-2012, 02:57 AM
AMAZING didn't even see the ball over the net just saw it on the last bounce

yurybarquero
01-05-2012, 06:44 AM
This is just like the serve that Ding Ning does against Sarah at 2.41 http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1728-TTD-Member-plays-Ding-Ning!&highlight=sarah but this Ding Ning´s serve is not a fast one...

YosuaYosan
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
No offence, but you won't be able to do this serve with short pips. :confused:

Yep, even with a super spinny short pips, the racket angle while serving will make the ball stall to the ground.

mjagadishster
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Such things always get me thinking how many hours he must have practicing it!

Mysttable
02-13-2012, 09:38 PM
O.O How can he do that?!?!?

karl
02-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Fastest service is illegal, u watch it and he does let the ball going 6" inches,it only go 3" or less from his hand. Yes it's fast but it's not a legal service

Rhydian
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Too bad it's not legal ;)
I'm sure he can improve it to make it legal. ;D
It would be such a badass serve ;D

nabilatouni
02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
OMG he'sooooo amazing XD you can't return this...

PlasmaLight
02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
well the first serve is legal! the other ones not, you´re right. i watched a game of sakai, but he never did this serve :(

Andrew
02-16-2012, 02:15 AM
The ball is not high enough, and he throws it to himself...if only it were legal; the serve would be hard to return

WiWa
02-16-2012, 06:41 AM
His toss is comparable with Wang Hao's toss, only it is a little lower. If Wang Hao doesn't get faulted for his toss, Sakai shouldn't get faulted either :p

Pnachtwey
02-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I counted the frames at 240 fps. The ball takes about 250 milliseconds to bounce from one corner over the net to the other corner. This wouldn't make sense under normal conditions because it takes longer than that for the ball to simply bounce up over the net and then hit the table UNLESS the downward force was greater. So I calculated the downward acceleration/force. It was about 3 time gravity. This means the top spin added about 2g of downward acceleration.

I think this is about as fast as one can make a serve. To go faster the ball would have to have more top spin without adding any more speed. If more speed is added the ball will not land on the far corner of the table.

barca
04-18-2012, 04:34 AM
All i can say is "OMG".....

yakisoba1521
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I also has a serve like this hitting with the backhand rubber I use it if the game is a do or die situation. but not as FREAKING fast like that!

TTFan01
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Hope we can see one at the Korea Open :D

zachkinjo
05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I noticed he hits it with his backhand and from one corner to the other. I really want to know how effective it is during game play

pai2
05-17-2012, 04:10 AM
wow... very fast !! how to return that ???

trevo1
05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
wow that is fast lol

UpSideDownCarl
10-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Fast, Fast, Fast. The toss in the first one is fine. He can do it with a legal toss. I think he is just looking to get one with good speed for the video so he is not thinking about the toss.

I don't think it would be too effective in match play unless he has something that looks enough like it that is short, and unless the placement makes it hard to handle for the opponent. Otherwise it will comeback even faster than it went. :)

XIII
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think a faster serve will affect you that much, all it is speed.
You can always just block.
I play against this guy which always serves fast and I got used to it, now it's like I can predict his moves.

Dan
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't think a faster serve will affect you that much, all it is speed.
You can always just block.
I play against this guy which always serves fast and I got used to it, now it's like I can predict his moves.

I agree however I use to be coached by Sun Jin of China who got a silver medal in the womens doubles at Sydney Olympics and she had this backhand fast serve. She could disguise it either corner and I had no chance hehe :) Not many players had a chance in UK :). If this Japan player can disguise the contact so you was unsure which direction the ball would go it would be very difficult I think to receive

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

XIII
12-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I agree however I use to be coached by Sun Jin of China who got a silver medal in the womens doubles at Sydney Olympics and she had this backhand fast serve. She could disguise it either corner and I had no chance hehe :) Not many players had a chance in UK :). If this Japan player can disguise the contact so you was unsure which direction the ball would go it would be very difficult I think to receive

Oft, you got coached by a real Chinese Olympian? How cool is that?
How did you communicate with her, using English?

Dan
12-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Oft, you got coached by a real Chinese Olympian? How cool is that?
How did you communicate with her, using English?

Yeah have you ever heard of her? She came to Bristol, England to learn English.. And she was studying at our Academy.. Was awesome learnt so much. Her English was fairly good, enough to help me with my tt :)

XIII
12-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah have you ever heard of her? She came to Bristol, England to learn English.. And she was studying at our Academy.. Was awesome learnt so much. Her English was fairly good, enough to help me with my tt :)

Nah, I don't know her I just googled her and found her on wikipedia. :)