Breathing Techniques in Table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi Fellow TTD-ers ,

I have been intrigued recently about the correct breathing technique while executing table tennis strokes, especially since it helps increasing the stamina and the quality of strokes . Please pitch in with tips and techniques which you might have discovered or been coached which helps with this.

Case in point, a few weeks back I was drilling with a club member and was getting out of breath when power looping forehands agianst his blocks.
He told me to force my breath out when I contact / impact the ball and at that time I felt it was really helping with my stamina ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Breathe into your abdomen. It takes a while to get used to it, but it will help to maintain stamina (and it helps in singing too :) ).
Don't breathe out with power, don't push the air. Just breath in the correct time. If you want to hit hard you will unintentionally push the air, nothing wrong with this, just don't do it when it doesn't comes naturally.
Start control your breath from the beginning, so you have to breathe in when you throw up the ball and breath out at contact. Breathing out at contact helps you in timing and getting ready to the next shot.
EDIT: I forget to say that you have to breathe in through the nose and you can moan at breathing out, like Ovcharov, Mizutani.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Breathing is the foundation of Chi Gong and Tai Chi. The "Chi" refers to how you breath in these practices. It translates well to all physical sports in how breathing affects the flow of your circulation and energy.

One of the reasons for Samsonov's longevity is his smooth flowing style. He's in control of his breathing and energy and maybe why the Chinese call him the Tai Chi Master.

Practice breathing with some shadow boxing training to the point where you don't need to think about it. As long as you are not in the habit of holding your breath, everything should be fine and natural.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Gonna say, I think there is already some confusing info that is worth ignoring. [emoji2]

Best post so far is from pernicousnc. That is pretty accurate.

In karate they make sound for impact. People who don't understand, don't get it. But that is also pretty much what you want whether you phonate or not.

Monica Seles, when she was on top was famous for making a sound with her stroke. She was even criticized for it. But that is kind of what you want. Again, the sound itself doesn't matter. It is that the exhale is powerful, you could say: forced.

In the late 1970s before he won the middleweight crown, I had the good fortune to watch Marvelous Marvin Hagler train. I will never forget the sound of his breathing. For every punch he threw, there was what I am calling a forced exhale; a huffing sound. It sounded like if you went "huh" with some force. Every punch, that sound.

Now, if you were to do crunches, making a sound like that would make your abdomen contract more strongly. If you were doing curls, that same breath would make your biceps contract more strongly.

If the exhale is timed to the contraction of any muscle or group of muscles the contraction will be stronger and more effective.

And this is exactly why, in something like Yoga, you would NOT want to breathe like that. Because even if you are working some muscles, other muscles are relaxing and being stretched.

For swimming or running you wouldn't really want to breath like this either. For swimming and running you would want a fast inhale and a long, strong exhale.

But in table tennis, you want the exhale to be a bit of a burst of energy and the inhale should be relaxed and unconscious. You should not have to think about the inhale.

In the end, you shouldn't think about the breath at all. The exhale should also happen without you thinking about it. But it is not so easy to get that to happen when you are not aware and you are tensing and not breathing that way.

The closest thing I can think of to a breath technique from Yoga that would be sort of similar to how you breath for TT would be the breath technique called kapalabhati.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Excellent explanation Carl , Thanks ! .

I get Kapalbhati , thanks to Swami Ramdev it became very popular in India in recent times ...

Gonna say, I think there is already some confusing info that is worth ignoring. [emoji2]

Best post so far is from pernicousnc. That is pretty accurate.

In karate they make sound for impact people who don't understand, don't get it. But that is also pretty much what you want whether you phonate or not.

Monica Seles, when she was on top was famous for making a sound with her stroke. She was even criticized for it. But that is kind of what you want. Again, the sound itself doesn't matter. It is that the exhale is powerful, you could say: forced.

In the late 1970s before he won the middleweight crown, I had the good fortune to watch Marvelous Marvin Hagler train. I will never forget the sound of his breathing. For every punch he threw, there was what I am calling a forced exhale; a huffing sound. It sounded like if you went "huh" with some force. Every punch, that sound.

Now, if you were to do crunches, making a sound like that would make your abdomen contract more strongly. If you were doing curls, that same breath would make your biceps contract more strongly.

If the exhale is timed to the contraction of any muscle or group of muscles the contract will be stronger and more effective.

And this is exactly why, in something like Yoga, you would not want to breathe like that. Because even if you are working some muscles, other muscles are relaxing and being stretched.

For swimming or running you wouldn't really want to breath like this either. For swimming and running you would want a fast inhale and a long, strong exhale.

But in table tennis, you want the exhale to be a bit of a burst of energy and the inhale should be relaxed and unconscious. You should not have to think about the inhale.

In the end, you shouldn't think about the breath at all. The exhale should also happen without you thinking about it. But it is not so easy to get that to happen when you are not aware and you are tensing and not breathing that way.

The closest thing I can think of to a breath technique from Yoga that would be sort of similar to how you breath for TT would be the breath technique called kapalabhati.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was thinking of doing the writing. But am too lazy. And I realized, there is good information out there. Here is something. This was written by a guy who is a yoga teacher. But it is good and you should be able to see some of the problems of how information about breathing are often presented. Like, the idea that there is a right, or a wrong way to breath.

The following quote came from here: http://www.yogaanatomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Anatomy-of-Breath2.pdf

Four Common Confusions about Breathing Last year, as part of my preparation for producing “The Future of Breathing”symposium at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, I wanted to review and evaluatetraditional breathing information objectively. With the support of Kripalu, and the skilledresearch of Danna Faulds, we conducted a review of the breathing-related source materialfor the major Yoga teaching traditions. This survey revealed a number of flawedassumptions and outright errors related to breathing and breath anatomy that haveremained both consistent and largely unchallenged through most of the history of Yogateaching in America. Most of this confusion can be classified into the following fourbroad categories:

Confusion #1: Context dropping
This common error most often appears as either an explicit or implicit suggestionthat there is a “right” or “proper” way to breathe without stating the context that givesrise to that breathing method. Context refers to the conditions unique to each individual’shistory, condition and goals. Context also refers to activity and body position – all ofwhich significantly affect breathing patterns.
Since individual intentions, body type, shape and orientation all create differentconditions for breathing, it’s clear that no one pattern could suffice to deal with all ofthem. In other words, there is no one right way to breathe that will work under allconditions, and implying that there is only encourages people to create breathing habits that make their systems less adaptable to change.
My simple, comprehensive definition of breathing as shape-change will help to

dispel this confusion, and clarify the context in which breathing patterns arise.

Confusion #2: False dichotomy between diaphragmatic, non-diaphragmaticbreathing
This error arises from the commonly stated bromide that “belly” breathing equalscorrect diaphragmatic breathing, and “chest” breathing equals incorrect non-diaphragmatic breathing. The idea that “correct” breathing involves the proper use of thediaphragm is true enough, but to equate diaphragmatic breathing exclusively withabdominal movement, and ribcage expansion with non-diaphragmatic (accessory)breathing is incorrect, because the diaphragm is capable of creating chest as well as bellymovement.
This error arises from the lack of recognition that the diaphragm can mobilize theribcage without the aid of the accessory muscles, and it leads to teachers making theseemingly helpful observation: “You’re not using your diaphragm.” Saying this to a non-paralyzed person is essentially the same as telling them they are dead – for it is therhythmic contraction of the diaphragm that is the tangible manifestation of Pranaexpressing itself through a human form.
A corollary result of this confusion is that many students’ breathing patterns areevaluated only by the location of shape change in the body, i.e.: belly breathing is good,chest breathing is bad. In reality, it is possible for breathing to manifest as tense,disordered belly movement, or relaxed, integrated chest movement. An excessive focuson the region of shape change as an indicator of “correct breathing” can blind us to manyother, more relevant qualities of the breath.
My analysis of the 3-dimensional action of the diaphragm’s muscle fibers, and mysubsequent metaphor comparing the diaphragm to the engine of a car will help to clarifythis confusion.

Confusion #3: Confusion between respiratory shape changes and regionalventilation

Here is a passage from a book on pranayama by one the world’s most respectedteachers, but it could have come from any yoga book:
Respiration may be classified into four types:
High or clavicular breathing, where the relevant muscles in the neck mainlyactivate the top parts of the lungs.
Intercostal or midbreathing, where only the central parts of the lungs areactivated.
Low or diaphragmatic breathing, where the lower portions of the lungs areactivated chiefly, while the top and central portions remain less active.
In total or pranayamic breathing, the entire lungs are used to their fullestcapacity.
Here, the author speaks of “lung activation,” which could be interpreted correctly(which is rare) or incorrectly (which is far more common).
The correct interpretation refers to the way lung tissue follows the ribcage anddiaphragmatic breath movements (see “The Diaphragm’s Relations: OrganicConnections” later in this article).
The incorrect interpretation of “lung activation” is to equate it with local airmovements in the upper, middle and lower portions of the lungs (regional ventilation).Simply stated, this error results from confusion between the concept of “breath” and theconcept of “air.”
Air moves into and out of the lungs via the pathway of the bronchial tree. Thispathway is not affected by the sequence of shape change in the cavities of the chest andabdomen. These differing breathing patterns refer to some of the ways in which wemanipulate the accessory breathing muscles in order to produce specific respiratory shapechanges, but that is not the same thing as isolating the ventilation in the correspondingregions of the lungs.
In other words, contrary to what most teaching language implies, “bellybreathing” does not fill the base of the lungs, “intercostal breathing” does not fill themiddle of the lungs, and “clavicular breathing” does not fill the tops of the lungs.
Understanding that the accessory muscles “steer” the direction of the breath helps to clarify this confusion.

Light on Pranayama, by B.K.S. Iyengar, (New York: Crossroad, 1981) p. 21

Confusion #4: Deep Breathing and More Oxygen is always a good thing
To read many yoga and breathing books, one could get the impression that deepbreathing and oxygenation are the holy grails of health, well-being and enlightenment.The assumption is that the more carbon dioxide you get rid of and the deeper you breathe,the more oxygen you get in, and the healthier you’ll be. The fact is, not enough carbondioxide is dangerous, deep breathing is only occasionally appropriate, and too muchoxygen is toxic.
Breathing patterns should always be linked to your body’s metabolic needs.3 Ifyour level of activity requires a larger than usual supply of oxygen, deeper or more rapidbreathing is perfectly appropriate. Those same patterns of breath, however, if applied to aresting state of metabolic activity would produce blood alkalosis (hyperventilation).
Your body has homeostatic mechanisms that prevent a toxic excess of oxygenfrom building up in the tissues.4 The idea that one can improve health by increasing O2concentrations in the blood is physiologically incorrect, and shouldn’t be confused withthe immense relief that accompanies a deep, freeing breath pattern. In fact, freeing thebreath allows respiratory activity to more closely match body metabolism by releasingexcessive, oxygen-hungry tension from the breathing musculature.
Your body is many times more sensitive to changes in blood levels of carbondioxide than it is to oxygen. Carbon dioxide plays a critical role in helping hemoglobintransport oxygen from your blood to your body’s tissues. If you don’t have enough CO2in your blood, the O2 gets held too tightly by the hemoglobin and not enough oxygen willbe released into your tissues. The idea that one can improve health by ridding oneself ofexcess CO2 is physiologically incorrect, and shouldn’t be confused with the simple act ofexhaling more effectively (which is a prerequisite for a deep inhale).
Understanding that healthy breathing is linked to metabolic activity and normalCO2 levels will help to clarify some of these issues.

3 The Psychology and Physiology of Breathing by Robert Fried Ph.D. (New York:plenum Press 1993) p. 34
4 ibid: Fried p. 29

Leslie is a friend of mine and I have known him for a long time. If you are interested in understanding breathing better, I would do a search for "Leslie Kaminoff on Breathing". Even though he is a yoga teacher, he presents information on how breathing actually works and a context for how different body postures and different activities require different kinds of breathing.

Apply this to TT, a FH loop requires slightly different breathing than a BH loop. A FH loop requires very different breathing from a push.

If your arms are raised like this:

virabhadrasana-1.jpg

Trying to do what gets called "belly breathing" would actually cause you problems for your neck, shoulders and upper back and lower back. And it would make you very tense. Whereas, what the TT article called "chest breathing" would actually work well, because the process of using your abdominal to hold the lower back stable would also let the breath help expand the chest which helps that position.

Whereas, if you were sitting or lying comfortably, "belly breathing" is more relaxed.

And in TT the inhale would not be so deep that it should distend your abdomen.

But regardless of any of that, anyone thinking about it knows that the air goes into your lungs, and the lungs are in your thoracic cavity, ABOVE NIPPLE LEVEL, inside the chest. So even when the belly changes shape in a breath, the air you inhale STILL GOES INTO THE LUNGS, and therefore into the chest. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

This video is about something I said above. You can try it. If you raise your arms and arch your back like she is doing and try to breathe into your belly while doing it, it will feel awful and it will prevent you from going too far into it. If you do that same movement and keep your belly pulled in a little to protect your lower back and let the breath fill your chest as your arms raising cause your chest to expand, it will feel so much better.

So, different body positions need different kinds of breathing. And a statement like belly breathing is good and chest breathing is bad, totally leaves out what belly breathing is good for and what chest breathing is bad for.

AND NEITHER are actually what you want in table tennis.

FYI: To breathe into your chest, you need to keep your abdomen stable and let your chest and rib-cage move freely. To breathe so your abdomen changes shape, you have to tighten muscles that stabilize the lower rib-cage and force the movement into the abdomen. For either something has to tighten. If you took a real, full breath without tightening the abdomen or the rib-cage muscles, BOTH THE CHEST AND ABDOMEN WOULD CHANGE SHAPE TOGETHER, provided you were in a comfortable, and neutral body position. Like sitting upright, standing upright, or lying facing up.

Last edited:
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok, here is a quick update from my side. IMO, This thread is one of the hidden gems of our forum for developing players like me. I have an issue of holding my breath during the rally (I don't know where I picked it up from) but due to this my arm and shoulder starts stiffening up as the rally progress. I am trying to adapt as per the information shared by all you wise members and it's really helping me out. So my sincere thanks to all of you who have stepped out and shared your experiences.

Without being too philosophical, I must say that the more calm I am mentally, the more even my breathing is. So in my case, my breathing pattern is influenced by my thinking during the match and in the rally. I tried observing myself and this was my deduction. So, even if I lose a hard fought rally or just give away a foolish point with a service mistake I tried that the result or outcome should not affect me. I always kept on telling myself to focus ahead and where I should be looking to contact the ball in my next stroke.
For sure, it helped me and my breathing was more even with very relaxed strokes.
Additionally, I am also trying to bring in a routine, which I normally would like to do between points. Like bouncing the ball lightly on my racket or keeping eye on the score and taking a towel break. The more I play the more important these small things become. I find these buffer times to be very useful to relax a bit and plan ahead without reflecting too much on the past mistakes. My focus is always not to make mistakes in the first three balls and then take my opponent into a rally.
So if anyone of you who is struggling the same as me with breathing, you might want to try this based on my experience. If you make some additional findings then please do share them as well so that I too can learn from your experiences.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Later I will try to make a video of shadow strokes specifically for how the breath for FH and BH should sound.

And here is the video. I do two versions. One without the vocal chords, one with. Listen to the breath. Listen to the timing in relation to the stroke.

Now, because this is shadow strokes, the circumstances are not quite like in actual play. When I loop harder, I know it sounds more like the one with the voice in it.

But if you practiced the shadow stroke with that breathing, it would start happening naturally when you were looping.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Carl ! I figured something like this ... let me see if I can put it into action ... will need some practice for a while ...
And here is the video. I do two versions. One without the vocal chords, one with. Listen to the breath. Listen to the timing in relation to the stroke.

Now, because this is shadow strokes, the circumstances are not quite like in actual play. When I loop harder, I know it sounds more like the one with the voice in it.

But if you practiced the shadow stroke with that breathing, it would start happening naturally when you were looping.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl ! I figured something like this ... let me see if I can put it into action ... will need some practice for a while ...

It is very natural. It will happen. With the ball there, focusing on the ball can get you to be stressed and to breathe differently. But if you are just practicing shadow strokes, it will likely just start happening without you thinking about it. And then, over time, it will start happening in training and match play when it should and how it should.

What you should not thinking about is how to inhale or exhale or what accessory breathing muscles you should or shouldn't be using. Your body will know what to do. It is our heads that get confused. And overthinking it will block, more than likely, the process from occurring the way it should.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Thanks Carl, great info!
Where's that Super-Like button again?
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Confusion #2: False dichotomy between diaphragmatic, non-diaphragmaticbreathing
This error arises from the commonly stated bromide that “belly” breathing equalscorrect diaphragmatic breathing, and “chest” breathing equals incorrect non-diaphragmatic breathing. The idea that “correct” breathing involves the proper use of thediaphragm is true enough, but to equate diaphragmatic breathing exclusively withabdominal movement, and ribcage expansion with non-diaphragmatic (accessory)breathing is incorrect, because the diaphragm is capable of creating chest as well as bellymovement.
This error arises from the lack of recognition that the diaphragm can mobilize theribcage without the aid of the accessory muscles, and it leads to teachers making theseemingly helpful observation: “You’re not using your diaphragm.” Saying this to a non-paralyzed person is essentially the same as telling them they are dead – for it is therhythmic contraction of the diaphragm that is the tangible manifestation of Pranaexpressing itself through a human form.
A corollary result of this confusion is that many students’ breathing patterns areevaluated only by the location of shape change in the body, i.e.: belly breathing is good,chest breathing is bad. In reality, it is possible for breathing to manifest as tense,disordered belly movement, or relaxed, integrated chest movement. An excessive focuson the region of shape change as an indicator of “correct breathing” can blind us to manyother, more relevant qualities of the breath.
My analysis of the 3-dimensional action of the diaphragm’s muscle fibers, and mysubsequent metaphor comparing the diaphragm to the engine of a car will help to clarifythis confusion.

Just one comment:
the writer is completely right, but it's very hard to teach diaphragmatic breathing someone without personal contact.
Either a yoga teacher or singing teacher teaches you any kind of breathing he or she have to see you how you do it and correct you. Through internet it's very hard if not impossible and lot of these 'online teachers' simplify the whole thing to belly breathing. It might help or might not, depending on if you could find the technique instinctively.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
for edification purposes...

Breathing is the foundation of Chi Gong and Tai Chi. The "Chi" refers to how you breath in these practices. It translates well to all physical sports in how breathing affects the flow of your circulation and energy.

Just wanted to chime in to clear up some misconceptions stemming from the challenges of transliterating a foreign language into English.

The "Chi" in "Chi Gong" means breath/energy. Chi Gong is sometimes transliterated as "Chi Kung" or "Chi Gung" - generally older transliterated terms.

In modern Pinyin, the official way to transliterate 'chi gong' is "Qi Gong" also written as one term: "Qigong". The Q in "qi" is a 'ch' sound, like in 'chair' and the I is a long E sound, like in 'Seek' so Qi is pronounced as 'chee'. Although the term 'chi gong' is used, it's confusing to me as 'chi' is from the older transliteration and 'gong' is from modern pinyin.

The Chi/Qi means breath or energy. The Kung/Gong means work. So breathwork or energy work.

-------------------

With respect to "Tai Chi", this is an abbreviated form of older transliteration used, "T'ai Chi" ... the apostrophe is dropped. To make matters confusing, the "Chi" in Tai Chi does not mean energy/breath as the 'Chi' in 'chi gong' although, written in English, they both appear as "Chi".

Tai Chi is generally translated as Supreme Ultimate with the 'Chi' meaning Ultimate and not the Chi in Chi Kung which means breath/energy.

EDIT: In pinyin, Tai Chi is "Tai Ji" or sometimes written as one term, "Taiji" ... so there is less confusion on Qi/Chi vs Ji.

-------------------

"Breathing is the foundation of Chi Gong and Tai Chi."

I would even say breathing is the foundation of all Life, not just martial arts or health maintenance systems :)

The Chinese believe Chi/Qi flows in a healthy body. If the body is not healthy, there may be a Chi/Qi blockage. Acupuncture is one method to relieve Qi blockages and get the qi to flow throughout the body again. With robust qi flow, one should feel energetic.

HTH

Last edited: