Ebenholz NCT V vs Viscaria

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
They feel different. I would say, the best way to check how they feel different would be to try each. The specs don't sound that different. But they feel different. And words really can't help that much with how something feels.

Both are good. But neither are all that good for an intermediate level player or lower.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Does it have that wood feel? For a developing player, would the emerald be better? I am currently using the viscaria, but I am thinking of changing in order to develop my strokes.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Does it have that wood feel? For a developing player, would the emerald be better? I am currently using the viscaria, but I am thinking of changing in order to develop my strokes.

Emerald is too hard also. And both are too fast for if you are a developing playing wanting to develop your strokes.

Since you are listing blades that are too fast, I am going to assume you would not be open to blades that were in the All/All+ range and I will list a few blades that are on the faster end of what a developing player would be wise to use:

Try one of these:

1) Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon
2) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
3) Butterfly Petr Korbel
4) OSP Virtuoso Plus
5) Nittaku Acoustic
6) Nittaku Tenor
7) Stiga Offensive Classic

The blades you are looking at would be good for a high level amateur. But not for a developing player. They would present you with the same problems as the blade you are looking to change.

The ones on that list would be better.

So would these:

1) Yasaka Sweden Extra
2) Stiga Allround Evolution
3) OSP Virtuoso Off-
4) Nittaku Violin
5) Butterfly Primorac Off-

But those in the second list are what you actually should use and it sounds like you may not be open to trying a blade in the speed class that would really be right for you. So the first list will be okay even if a little faster than you actually want.

Reactions: Tadeiro and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi Carl, I am just afraid that these blades might be too slow for me. I am not a beginner, I am currently in the national u18 team for my country. However, I am confused by what you mean by a high level amateur, because aren't they wanting to develop too? I have my basic strokes down, but I feel like I need something with more control than a viscaria to tell you the truth. Perhaps my level is not high enough, but my team mates all use alc and zlc blades with hurricane, and they don't seem to have trouble getting the balls on the table. I think that I produce a reasonable amount of spin, but not enough compared to the top, top level players (international level who play table tennis professionally). I was playing against a two winged looper the other day, and he produced an enormous amount of spin, and I found it hard to block close to the table. I have noticed that I'm having trouble with consistency and control. Right now, money is not an issue because I have been saving up for ageesss. I have also considered the clipper cr or the clipper classic, but I really like the reviews of the emerald and ebenholz too... please help me, I am going to use hurricane 3 neo 40-41 degrees boosted and tenergy 80. Thank you for your help so far, and sorry for the long post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
To add on, my main worry is that these blades will be too slow for me in competitions, especially when I have to quickly attack and don't have time to utlilize a full stroke. Also, I am worried that even if I use my whole body, I won't produce much power. I guess the main issue is that I need a blade that I can develop with, as well as, play in tournaments which I have at least 2-3 times a month.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi,
which blades and rubbers have you tried and what was your opinion about them?
Seems you are playing on a pretty high level and you actively compete, so I think choosing a much slower blade would be bad. Your current setup is excellent for a national team level player, you might want just some fine-tuning your equipment (small changes). What's your current setup and how long have you been using it? You get your rubbers from the club, or you buy them for yourself? You active block with a stronger push, or passive block? Your game is based on spin or speed? You play close to table or from a medium range?
The best would be a video about you playing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. You just gave much more useful information. You made it sound like you were an intermediate level player and intermediate level players most often make the mistake of using something that is too fast for them.

Truthfully, the Korbel or the Power Wood still should be fine. So should any of the blades in the first list.

Stiga Clipper would be better for you than the Emerald or the Ebenholz. Those blades are hard and you will not generate as much spin with them.

Maybe a Rosewood V or Rosewood XO.

But something to think about, many pros (top level players) actually use the Petr Korbel blade. It should be fast enough.

So should any of the blades in that first list. Well, perhaps the Offensive Classic does not have quite the power you want.

Ma Long used the Nittaku Acoustic till he was about 20. I think his shots back then were faster than now. They just didn't have as much spin because his technique is better now.

Ma Long got to top 5 in the world with the second slowest blade on the first list. If you can't rip the ball for winners with those blades, then you probably would do well to use something slower for a year to really learn how to get your body behind your stroke.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi, I am using viscaria with boosted hurricane 3 neo 39 degrees and tenergy 80. I have been using this setup for around 8 months now, and I previously used korbel with tenergy 25 and 80 (reason is because I got this racket second hand and couldn't afford to change the rubber to my preferred play); before that, I used a premade racket. How does a rosewood nct v compare to the viscaria? Is it a lot more softer? Also, should I consider the clipper cr, clipper classic or rosewood nct v? It would really help if someone around me had these types of equipment, but I am abroad and when I looked around, nobody had this kind. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I don't have it now because I am abroad, but when I last tried it (few weeks ago), it felt really controllable, but I preferred that crisp feel that the viscaria gave me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't have it now because I am abroad, but when I last tried it (few weeks ago), it felt really controllable, but I preferred that crisp feel that the viscaria gave me.

Okay. I have a feeling that the Rosewood or Clipper would be good for you then.

You could also try the Stiga Infinity VPS V. It's not that fast and has great control. It also has crisp feel not as crisp as Viscaria but still good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Okay. I have a feeling that the Rosewood or Clipper would be good for you then.

An option could also be if you want a kind of same composition where the composite layer is close to the core you could go for DHS 301. It has Koto outer venners as your Viscaria.

having the composite layer gives your better control and slower blade, but in theory the feeling should be quite similar.

Last edited: