Question regarding H3 Neo's speed+control

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Hey there,
I want to try H3 Neo again, I tried it in 2010 the last time and back then I didn't know much about it and that is why I was so disappointed. I expected some Tenergy speed and the balls dropped into the net. Today I know why, different stroke, no catapult etc.

Since I want to try it again, I am not sure about the blade. I will buy a new blade anyway but I am not sure about the speed.
Many recommend a Clipper CR and they tell you that you must use at least an Off blade to use it properly because it's too slow without. That's actually as I remember it. Usually a Clipper CR would be too fast for my skills in shortgame. Topspin and blocks are usually never a problem for me regarding speed, it's just that my short game is not as good (reason why I want to try H3 Neo again, because that was just awesome back then).

So the basic question is: Is Clipper CR + H3 Neo fast/difficult to control in short game? I'm no beginner, but Tenergy is just too springy for me in short game for example. Usually I'd use Off- blades with Vega Pro or something like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I assume that you are not boosting. you could try the rubber on your current blade. the H3 Neo is cheap and easy to remove and reglue. the rubber hardness (which varies) of the h3neo can determine a lot . 37-38 degree the sacrifice in speed is not too big so it would be playable on an off- blade. the more you step away from the table the more you have to work with it.

but yes, an off blade with h3neo doesnt really feel like an off blade. the sensation of control or feel is different. up to personal preference.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Yeah I have the feeling that my backhand might be pretty fast. But I don't mind a fast blade for backhand thaaat much. I just do the banana flick and block there mostly. Alright, I will try it with a Clipper CR, I got a neo 39 degrees 2.2 here already.
Thanks guys :)

edit: I could also go for china rubbers like h3-50 or tinarc on backhand actually now that I think about it... Will try an old Vega pro first :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The Clipper CR is a blade that is sort of exclusive to the asian (spec. chinese) market. I atleast had a hard time finding a Clipper CR in Germany. I went with the most default thing I could think of, a Clipper Wood, and simply asked for a heavier one. I went from ALC blades to the Clipper and was satisfied, it felt controllable yet powerful enough. If you're coming from off- blades, you'll probably be fine with an average ~85-90grams.

Tl;dr: A Hurricane 3 on a Clipper Wood definitely isn't slow, it's not a rocket launcher either though. Close to the table it's demanding due to the rubber, especially if you're not tuning. Away from the table it's demanding due to the blade, simply because you lack the power in comparison to a composite blade. What you gain is incredible feel and control though, and unless you're playing on Oberliga level or higher, you'll be fine in terms of potential power.

Edit: By "Clipper CR" I mean the CR non-WRB version. There are stores which sell the Clipper CR with the WRB technology.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Im currently using H3 neo provincial orange sponge 39 degree on a Clipper CR WRB and it is definately not fast. Short game is easy but then again i have no short game issue using Timo boll ALC with T05 and Jun Mizutani ZLC with Fast Arc G1 so it comes down to your own personal touch. Just remember that to produce any kill potential shots, you need to use the right technique and produce high amounts of top spin/back spin. Dont flat hit and footwork is also very important.

Reactions: Jabugo
This user has no status.
Im currently using H3 neo provincial orange sponge 39 degree on a Clipper CR WRB and it is definately not fast. Short game is easy but then again i have no short game issue using Timo boll ALC with T05 and Jun Mizutani ZLC with Fast Arc G1 so it comes down to your own personal touch. Just remember that to produce any kill potential shots, you need to use the right technique and produce high amounts of top spin/back spin. Dont flat hit and footwork is also very important.

This is exactly what I think too; I feel a kinship with your style! Along with what you said, the upper body helps generate the force/speed. I'm swapping between T05 and H3 Provincial 41 degrees. They might feel different, but with proper technique, I don't find difficulty with short game or speed when switching between the two.