PDA

View Full Version : William Henzell's Journey

Dan
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
As many of you may know TableTennisdaily member and two-time Olympian table tennis professional William Henzell is preparing for his third Olympic campaign. In the videos below William talks about how his training is going and how tough it actually is for him. William quit and office job of 3 years to play table tennis full time to achieve his ambitions! :)

Any questions you would like to ask William, leave a comment below and he will get back to you. Enjoy!

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/07/20/1226098/559107-william-henzell.jpg
Image Courtesy of Adelaide Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeG8frZV9g&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5Sx21LaqQWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bWsoEffoU&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reLw6LSYP1s&feature=feedu

Be sure to Subscribe (http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennisedge) to Williams Henzells youtube channel

ttEDGE - William
10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Dan. I'm making this up as I go - so if you guys have any requests for topics you'd like me to speak about in the Journey entries, just let me know.

jedimasterplk
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
This is simply brilliant stuff Dan.... simply brilliant - thank you for sharing!

jedimasterplk
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh and of course William - thank you for sharing and letting us see a bit into the life of a pro's training!! its truly awesome to be able to see this.

Matt Hetherington
10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Get ur questions in fast he's finding the training a bit tougher these days ;)

Dan
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Get ur questions in fast he's finding the training a bit tougher these days ;)

Hehe

I think more videos in the training hall of you and your new bros training. That would be cool. N maybe another video of that players serve. Perhaps a video of the coaches when they are talking.to you. What exercises they give the group ect

Maybe do 60 second videos on a daily basis of quick fire questions and bigger videos every 3 days or something.

Anyways Will your doing a great job.. Keep focussing on the training and we can use this thread for all your updates :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Big TC
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Great stuff Will. I really enjoyed watching these and the insight into the life of a full time player they give.

Afew of the hundreds of questions I'd like to ask are : How many people are in your training group? Where are they from? What age range are they?

Do you know how most people fund this training? Is it by their association? is it privately funded? with sponsorship etc?

chico
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
I really enjoyed the video diary. I will give you a cheer if I see you at the 2012 olympics.

exit_2
10-19-2011, 11:13 PM
very, very interesting... good luck!

benlarcombe
10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm really enjoying the videos. Especially interesting seeing how they do warms up and physical training ect. I'm just wondering how do these places work financially/as a business? Who runs them/pays for them? Do the players have to pay to train there? Clearly we need a couple of these in the UK if we are ever going to compete.

WiWa
10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm really enjoying the videos. Especially interesting seeing how they do warms up and physical training ect. I'm just wondering how do these places work financially/as a business? Who runs them/pays for them? Do the players have to pay to train there? Clearly we need a couple of these in the UK if we are ever going to compete.

That's an interesting question indeed. The national association of Austria probably helps, and they probably made money off the Austria Open. Maybe they host more events since it's a good hall I guess. But there is no club that plays there as far as I know so they can't get the money from spectators and sponsors like normal clubs do I think.

Tinykin
10-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Any mention of injuries and how do the pros train whilst injured? That is, older pros are usually carrying some kind of injury such as a weak arm or knee due to pass damage. What do the coaches recommend as a training regime for say a weak knee and/or shoulder?

Der_Echte
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
I would be very interested what goes through your mind in seeing the serve and deciding/executing the receive.

blahness
10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
As a fellow Melbournian resident, I wish you all the best in your Olympic campaign!

Dan
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
As a fellow Melbournian resident, I wish you all the best in your Olympic campaign!

Awesome! His training will pay of. He has done so well without this specidfic practice!

Dan
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
4th Video of Williams Journey.

This time we get to look at what he does in a gym. Strength and Conditioning training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reLw6LSYP1s&feature=feedu

UpSideDownCarl
10-29-2011, 05:56 AM
4th Video of Williams Journey.

The issue William is talking about with the crossover point and switching to the forehand at the beginning is one of the more important things that I have to work on as well. I am so comfortable with my backhand that I cover more of the table with my backhand in matches than I should and the crossover point is more awkward as a result since my reflexes and my body does not seem to want to turn to the forehand. In training, I know I can turn to my forehand and then in matches I get stuck on the backhand and when the ball goes to that switching point I keep with my backhand instead of turning open to my forehand the way I should. I also do not get my body turned open enough when I am switching.

blahness
10-29-2011, 08:01 AM
William's FH has improved so much. Now it looks much better than the 1st video, much more powerful and technically sound. Also he's moving quite a bit faster now. :) He still needs to train up those leg muscles though... :)

Dan
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
5th installement of Williams Journey.

This time we get to look at how tough compeition is in elite table tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUsw9FQn_o&feature=feedu

Remember any questions you would like to ask William, leave them here and he will get back to you as soon as possible :)

WiWa
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the update :D Some great rallies in that video!

GDP
11-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Love these vids. Really shows what a grind professional TT is. William is an excellent communicator, engaging, instructive, and informative. Great stuff!

Matt Hetherington
11-09-2011, 11:28 PM
hehe lucky William, if i was in that situation where i was only just going to make my league match i would be panicking my face off :P

Dan
11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
The journey continures :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzvQ4j5TkKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KOLeAd0DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWziyGURG2I

Matt Hetherington
11-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Awesome stuff, he's really pushing himself to his limits :)

Dan
11-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Awesome stuff, he's really pushing himself to his limits :)

He actually is! He looks so tired in that second video! hehe

Matt Hetherington
11-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Hehe good old William, yea he was struggling at the start I spoke to him a couple of times really briefly, he seems to be getting into the stride of things which is great :)

Dan
11-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Hehe good old William, yea he was struggling at the start I spoke to him a couple of times really briefly, he seems to be getting into the stride of things which is great :)

Yeah thats true, I'm sure he is adapting a lot better now. His attitude and determination can make him break any limits! William FTW!

Matt Hetherington
11-26-2011, 11:53 PM
haha William FTW. I'm actually doing a quick question sesh atm with the people playing the Oceania Olympic Qualification as to how they are preparing for it and he has answered already so that should go on my blog soon :)

YosuaYosan
11-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Sir Henzell, I love your backhand :D Even though I use long pips on the backhand :P

Your euro loop backhand is one of the finest in the world. Love how you fluently use it.
Great job showing Australia to the world :cool:
God bless your journey!

Oh wait lol I thought its Sir Henzell himself who uploaded the vids.
Turns out to be Dan haha.
Bro Matt, could you help me send my regards to him? ;)

jedimasterplk
11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
William Henzel comes across as a TOP bloke - thank you William/Dan, for posting these vids - an amazing and priviliged inside view of the life of a pro table tennis player.

Dan
12-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Journey 9 and 10! These videos are just getting better and better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzhu4t52e4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HrMxAMmw8

lgreggs
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
These videos are awesome. Really interesting.

dici
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I see new serve in journey #10??

Dan
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I see new serve in journey #10??

Yeah I noticed that to dici. I think a lot of players are working on their serves at the moment. It is a real key to success at the highest level. I think William has improved so much from his trip to the WSA... It must be amazing for him, considering he has never been in an environment like that for so long

Matt Hetherington
12-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Sir Henzell, I love your backhand :D Even though I use long pips on the backhand :P

Your euro loop backhand is one of the finest in the world. Love how you fluently use it.
Great job showing Australia to the world :cool:
God bless your journey!

Oh wait lol I thought its Sir Henzell himself who uploaded the vids.
Turns out to be Dan haha.
Bro Matt, could you help me send my regards to him? ;)

Sure no problem

Matt Hetherington
12-14-2011, 10:33 PM
It's great to watch him picking his form back up he's moving faster and everything is much more fluid and more power

wilfred888
12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
I've followed his whole journey through the videos and it was great to see the reality of a professional - many accidents and struggles occur before you can achieve your goal

exit_2
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
It is great to see how he improved. His footwork and body moving during FH attack is now similar to Timo. Not same and Timo has still better technique but William is on correct way. Good luck! :)

YosuaYosan
12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Sure no problem

Yer the best Bro :)
Thank you

ttEDGE - William
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
It does feel rewarding to see that people are enjoying the video series so thanks for your comments. To answer a few comments;

@Dici - yes a couple of new serves. I think I mentioned a couple of vids back that Richi, one of the head coaches, encouraged me to add a few more variations to my service attack. So I now have 4 different types of serve and then a number of variations within these 4.

@exit_2 - I notice a big difference with my movement. It's the combination of more training, harder training (eg more footwork) and the hard work I've put in at the gym. My forehand has improved but it is still a weak link for me in comparison to other parts of my game. Richi and I had a chat about Timo's forehand technique the other day and about the strength that Timo needs in his back to have such a straight body stance when he plays it.

Scorpnox
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I really enjoy these vids :)
I hope you make it to the Olympics and win many matches there :)!!

Dan
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
William's latest episodes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUBWF3P-AA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzgasTSMYc

Matt Hetherington
01-08-2012, 08:26 PM
The little kung fu thing at the end of the second video was funny as! Good on ya Will keep it going, not long now till the Olympic trials! :)

Dan
01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Whats the date of the trials for Will?

Here is his latest facebook status, sounds amazing!

"Just found out the training group for tomorrow morning: Samsonov, Ovtcharov, Smirnov, Jaio Monteiro, Kuzmin, Gardos, Chen Weixing and....Henzell. Could be pretty cool. /WH"

Matt Hetherington
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
March 5th - 8th is the set date for the Oceania Olympic Qualification.

Dan
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
March 5th - 8th is the set date for the Oceania Olympic Qualification.

Awesome can't wait! :)

Dan
01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
William Henzells 13th episode! Your in for a treat this is a brilliant episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0jQgTYA2M

Matt Hetherington
01-12-2012, 07:35 PM
lol falling of the ball at the end just made that video for me XD

ttEDGE - William
01-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Yes, take pleasure in my fall from grace Matt. The first qualification is the Australian one which is Feb 16 - 19. I've got to get through that before I get a crack at the Oceania qualifying, which is March 5 - 8. Yes I'm just over a month away. Hungarian Open next week, then Slovenian Open then 3 league matches (Fri, Sat, Sun) and I'm back off home.

The training session with the Russian team was nice. I played the session with Alexey Smirnov. Managed to film the end of the session and I'll put bits and pieces of it up in my next journey entry (maybe this weekend).

To answer some questions about the WSA centre. Players pay to come and train here. I heard the other day that there are no fewer than 70 players coming over the next couple of months. The level varies between hobby players to top 10 players in the world. Obviously not training with each other, but the academy caters for all standards. They also have a four bedroom apartment which players pay to stay in while they're here. That's where Danni and I have been living for the past 4 months.

ttEDGE - William
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
By the way, thanks for the post about how to subscribe to threads Dan. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Big TC
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm loving the posts. Keep up the good work and good luck in the qualifiers.

Dan
01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes, take pleasure in my fall from grace Matt. The first qualification is the Australian one which is Feb 16 - 19. I've got to get through that before I get a crack at the Oceania qualifying, which is March 5 - 8. Yes I'm just over a month away. Hungarian Open next week, then Slovenian Open then 3 league matches (Fri, Sat, Sun) and I'm back off home.

The training session with the Russian team was nice. I played the session with Alexey Smirnov. Managed to film the end of the session and I'll put bits and pieces of it up in my next journey entry (maybe this weekend).

To answer some questions about the WSA centre. Players pay to come and train here. I heard the other day that there are no fewer than 70 players coming over the next couple of months. The level varies between hobby players to top 10 players in the world. Obviously not training with each other, but the academy caters for all standards. They also have a four bedroom apartment which players pay to stay in while they're here. That's where Danni and I have been living for the past 4 months.

Awesome Will I'm looking forward to your new training video! :). I would love to go to the WSA looks amazing. The conditions look great, and to train around players of such a high level must be so inspiring!

By the way, thanks for the post about how to subscribe to threads Dan. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Aha awesome! Its a fantastic way to follow your thread! Glad you have subbed to it Will.

2012 is yours! Train hard!

Convict
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Hi William, loved all the updates. You have been at WSA for a long time now was wondering if you have to pay as much as lower ranked players or because you are a top level player you get some sort of funding from WSA or elsewhere to attend for such a length of time

ttEDGE - William
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi William, loved all the updates. You have been at WSA for a long time now was wondering if you have to pay as much as lower ranked players or because you are a top level player you get some sort of funding from WSA or elsewhere to attend for such a length of time Hi Convict. Generally everyone has to pay something to practice there but it's on a sliding scale where the better players pay less. My girlfriend and I are staying in a room of a large apartment that Schlager or the Academy owns. My training fees are included in the rent.

Convict
01-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the response William

RIPPER
01-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks Dan. I'm making this up as I go - so if you guys have any requests for topics you'd like me to speak about in the Journey entries, just let me know.

Hey Will, do you think you could talk about the importance of serve and receiving in varying places and why it is important in your matches and how you receive in training so that your opponents do not have easy third ball attacks please? Thanks

jedimasterplk
01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Not sure William will want to share that on the Forum just yet - I am positive his potential opponents will just be reading this too;)

azlan
01-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Hey Will, do you think you could talk about the importance of serve and receiving in varying places and why it is important in your matches and how you receive in training so that your opponents do not have easy third ball attacks please? Thanks

I'm kinda keen to know as well. And as for your opponents Will, I think you guys are about on par with each other. :o

Mr. RicharD
01-19-2012, 12:35 AM
That's an awesome series to watch. Good for you William and best of luck in February and March. I have two questions one about when you played in 2008 against Wang Liqin and the other about tactics. Obviously you had a great start and the games were really close in the first 3 sets with you up both times I believe. Are you working on any Mental exercises to help with situations like that? I now know your services are ridiculously deceptive with seeing your videos and also that match against WLQ. It's fairly obvious that that's one of your biggest strengths and I can tell that's probably why you're working on your forehand as the service is more designed for forehand attacks, but is there anything you're working on in particular about how you want to play your matches with your strengths?

ttEDGE - William
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Good players test each other out with service and return of service at the start of matches, trying to work out potential weaknesses. It may only be moving the serve 5cms on the table to get it coming at a slightly more awkward angle that the opponent does not like. It's also why good players almost always have backspin/nospin, pendulum sidespin and reverse/tomahawk/backhand variations. Probe until you find a weakness. The same goes for returns as well; it's likely there will be weaknesses and once you've found the weakness you've got to be able to vary just so that the player doesn't adjust.

That's an awesome series to watch. Good for you William and best of luck in February and March. I have two questions one about when you played in 2008 against Wang Liqin and the other about tactics. Obviously you had a great start and the games were really close in the first 3 sets with you up both times I believe. Are you working on any Mental exercises to help with situations like that? I now know your services are ridiculously deceptive with seeing your videos and also that match against WLQ. It's fairly obvious that that's one of your biggest strengths and I can tell that's probably why you're working on your forehand as the service is more designed for forehand attacks, but is there anything you're working on in particular about how you want to play your matches with your strengths?

Very good chances. 1-0 and 7-1 and 10-8. 9-5 in 3rd set and 9-6 in 4th set. I've gone over the match once or twice... He struggled against the serve throughout and was very passive on his returns after making early mistakes. It can be very important to serve well from the start and really go for your serves so that the opponent loses confidence. The tomahawk is mainly designed for backhand players as it shields from getting returns into the pocket, which is of course the backhand dominated player's worst spot.

Unfortunately I haven't given mental training the room or focus I should have during my career and I've suffered as a result. I wish I had but I didn't realise the importance early enough. It's not always easy to find the expertise, especially not when trying to live on a meager table tennis salary.

Much of my time here in Austria has been on trying to improve my weaknesses. My backhand topspin is my big strength and of course it has improved from increasing my table time 400% per week. When I play I try to steer the play towards my strengths which is done with placement, shot height adjustment and playing shots that are uncomfortable for the opponent to receive. My coaches here attribute the success I've had to my ability to make life difficult for my opponent. I don't have big shots or amazing power so I've had to try to play smarter.

Mr. RicharD
01-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Have you ever thought of meditation? Working on breathing and focus? I know as a martial artist it was one of the biggest things we worked on in preparation for a tournament. I often still use the techniques to keep myself calm and collected. I get that you wouldn't have the money, but have you ever thought about checking out good calming techniques online? I was just curious because I agree that you're a very smart player, but I've felt your biggest weakness just from the videos I've seen have a lot to do with mentality than physical ability. Plus with all of your training you seem to be in great shape and your shots look stronger. I hope you'll consider it because it'd be great to see you go for the gold and that I actually have written to you :D

Good luck with training!

I had to add this and you can take it as you'd like, but I used to teach meditation in my self defense classes and I just want to explain it. Maybe you could try to fit it in.

A lot of people think that meditation is about drowning out everything so that you can be one with yourself, I've always had the opposite philosophy from my instructors and father who were all talented black belt and master black belts. Typically the amount of time you want to meditate is all up to how much time you have available. I recommend starting out at 1 minute at the beginning of your day and 1 minute at the end of your day. You want to find a room that is secluded from distractions, but not sounds. A full on 60 second session involves focusing on breathing.

Take the breath fully into your diaphragm and lungs through the nose. Hold for a moment and concentrate on how the oxygen fills your body. Then exhale from the mouth and again focus on the air leaving your diaphragm and lungs. Listen intently toward every sound. Pick out the the sound of your breathing, the footsteps from people around you, the air from the vents, the train or cars passing on the road outside. Focus on all the sounds and let your mind rest. By focusing on the sounds and feeling your muscles contract and release from breathing you can release a lot of tension from your mind and body. The breathing can become second nature and allow you to focus on the ball easier as well as your opponents movements.

If you want to practice it try to increase the amount of time by 1 minute a day until you are at your maximum allowed time. Whether it's 15 minutes or 60 minutes it helps to focus everything in competition.

For me it was Martial Arts and it helped me to focus on my opponents movements. Every step they took every adjustment in body weight helped me to read their kicks and punches. It allowed me to sense them getting ready to throw me for a take down or dive in for a double leg tackle.

I hope this helps you a lot William.

jedimasterplk
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Definitely worth trying and sounds like great advice for everyone else here too Richard... thanks for sharing.

Mr. RicharD
01-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Despite his loss in the Slovenia Open. I have to say that his technique has improved greatly. Will's got some great new tactics and forehand shots. Can't wait to see him when he can get into his groove in the first game.

ttEDGE - William
01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Richard. It's been a very disappointing start to 2012. I managed to keep my play at a consistently high level during my first few months in Europe (Sep - Dec last year) but my game has been like a yo-yo in my first two tournaments of this year. And more down than up unfortunately...

Mr. RicharD
01-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Hey William, even though I was watching a recording I was still rooting for you. I think over all your game has really improved. I've noticed your forehand 3rd balls being more consistent and a lot of good flicks. Your service is of course a tricky one to learn and I really though you'd get Pierre. It looked like your first 2 games were just getting you warmed up and the last 4 were pretty even. I'm fairly sure once you get your groove settled in the first set you'll really have some good wins. I really thought you won it in the 7th when I saw how much time was left on the video for the 6th.

Beartrendy
01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Good luck with everything, Will. For a TT novice like me, it was really great to watch a cool behind-the scenes like that :) really makes you appreciate pros even more

Matt Hetherington
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Just did a fresh interview with William about his journey so far and the Olympic Qualifications in Oceania which are fast approaching. Thanks Will and for the rest of you here is the link to the page. http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2233-William-Henzell-2-Interview

ttEDGE - William
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Ok, we're back in business with my video blog guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hphy8O9B__o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd53Rab55yE

Matt Hetherington
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Good stuff William, congrats again on qualifying.

ttEDGE - William
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Latest episode. Please note that all videos are going to this new youtube channel. Please subscribe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClWMzi3hb0&feature=context&context=C402adceADvjVQa1PpcFMvhzLZLN6JdxEAMc7zAtez jeNMS402XMg=

Matt Hetherington
03-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Fantastic video William :) great coverage of the China team and very interesting that they seem to be opening up to the public and players this time around

WiWa
03-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Awesome coverage!! Zhang is making that exercise look too easy lol, I wouldn't even manage two repetitions of that :p Really cool to see international stars practice with each other.

Matt Hetherington
03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
haha seems they make all our hardest exercises look basic :P

jmillsy2
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I know this is somewhat off topic, but i just want to wish Will a very happy 30th birthday today have a good one will and a great WTTTC!!!!:D

ttEDGE - William
03-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Super! The Aus team sang happy birthday to me at dinner tonight and made me a special dessert of yoghurt, orange and apple from the dessert buffet.

TTTT
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Did Adham Sharara send you birthday wishes too? :)

What's your take on your group, can Australia finish in the top 3?

ttEDGE - William
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't believe so but then again I'm not sure why he would?? It will be tough; we are seeded 6th in the group and we'll all have to play well to beat any of the teams, let alone any of the top 3.

TTTT
03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't believe so but then again I'm not sure why he would??

He congratulated you on your qualification for London on the ooak forum, did you miss it? People there were wondering why he didn't contact you personally. But it seems he just wanted to express his support in public.

Anyway, good luck for Dortmund - I think you yourself can beat anyone in your group, but your teammates just need to contribute a point too!

ttEDGE - William
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I am behind the times and missed it. I had a fair amount going on :) Maybe he knows I visit the forums. I just saw it now - so a few things I notice there; he misspelled my first name, last name and wrote 'congratulations man'. None of these three things seem very 'Adham-like'.

TTTT
03-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Yea, it looks like he ran out of l's (lol)...

But otherwise that message should be legit, because it's the official "Adham Sharara answers (some of) your questions" thread! If that was a fake, the forum would have a problem.

ttEDGE - William
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeh hey, I've got no idea. Just seemed a bit out of place for someone who crosses their t's and dots their i's.

jmillsy2
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks Super! The Aus team sang happy birthday to me at dinner tonight and made me a special dessert of yoghurt, orange and apple from the dessert buffet.

Anytime! That's awesome that they made you desert, good luck and I will hopefully see you at the Olympics when I come and watch maybe I'll be able to get an autograph?? :)

ttEDGE - William
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Next episode. I open up about what was quite a dark period for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYXRw8fVlo

Vega
04-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi William, really interesting, thanks for this new epsiode!
And i saw you play in Dortmund (ok actually i was watching the Denmark match on the next table ;) ) but sometimes had a look over to your table and it was quite good, especially some nice bh shots :)

ttEDGE - William
04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Cool, thanks Vega. Which match did you see?

Vega
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Was the game against Italy (while on the other table Denmarkt played against Croatia), if I remember it right you won both matches 3:1 (or one of them 3:2?)..

ttEDGE - William
04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Ah yes, they were epic matches on both tables. I spent the end of it hunched over a bin trying not to throw up (food poisoning for a couple of days). 3-1 against Stoyanov and 3-2 against Rech Daldasso.

TT Guru
04-04-2012, 10:39 PM
3-1 against Stoyanov and 3-2 against Rech Daldasso.

Hi William, Do you know why Italy's top player Mihae Bobocica was absent from the team? He trains with you at WSA right?

ttEDGE - William
04-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Injured. Possible hamstring strain. With the Olympic qualifiers next week, they didn't want to take any chances. He's back in training now though.

judah000
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
William is a TTD member??!!!!!

ttEDGE - William
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
First lot of my matches from the World Championships. Please spread the video on Facebook, etc if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSC0-FjUgqk

TableTennisDaily
04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
William is a TTD member??!!!!!

Sure is :)

First lot of my matches from the World Championships. Please spread the video on Facebook, etc if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSC0-FjUgqk

Great matches Will, interesting to see how those tricky serves from the player. Having a good serve, serve receive and third ball seems to be essential at the top.

Looking forward to the matches against Argentina :)

ars
04-06-2012, 09:38 PM
nice i learn a lot...

Matt Hetherington
04-07-2012, 08:56 AM
William has done a great review for all those asking questions about the new table tennis ball. He is the first player opening up to tell us about the new ball so far and has done a great job giving detail on the ball's performance. Thanks for the video William it will put a few minds at ease for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzo-PmL8IjA

judah000
04-07-2012, 10:38 AM
OHHh. So there is a legend in our forum!!

Matt Hetherington
04-07-2012, 11:08 AM
There are lots of legends in the forum :P Dan is here haha Simon Gauzy is also in TTD

ttEDGE - William
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
All bow before me. Now please. Starting with you Matt.

judah000
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
What the?!?!!
Do you know who else are playing internationally here?

Matt Hetherington
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
All bow before me. Now please. Starting with you Matt.

Haha, you're on my turf now Henzell it should be the other way around. I'm working hard to try and make a team for Aus Open again this year. If I can't get in one I might form a Presidents team and come over anyway, we'll see how the budget goes :)

Matt Hetherington
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
What the?!?!!
Do you know who else are playing internationally here?

hmmm well there are some league players, I know Tom Maynard plays for TTC Neuhausen in first division league in Switzerland. Also there's Geca and Janus, two of the biggest TT channels on youtube :) but of course William is the most active pro on forums I think :P

ttEDGE - William
04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
All these videos are keeping me busy!! This videos shows matches against Argentina and England from the Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaqIpjG8JE

judah000
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
hmmm well there are some league players, I know Tom Maynard plays for TTC Neuhausen in first division league in Switzerland. Also there's Geca and Janus, two of the biggest TT channels on youtube :) but of course William is the most active pro on forums I think :P

hahaha yeah right about Geca and Janus. They are titans in youtube. :P

Matt Hetherington
04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
hahaha yeah right about Geca and Janus. They are titans in youtube. :P

Titans yea that's pretty muchly the word! :D

ttEDGE - William
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Final episode from Dortmund..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgB2xJQHcg

yang_fan
04-11-2012, 10:48 PM
I just wanted to say thanks so much for making these videos. These are really inspiring and interesting videos which I love following and can't wait for the next video. Thanks William!

ttEDGE - William
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Next video! With footage from the weekend's league matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDLqDSKHZY

TableTennisDaily
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
William's latest video vs Yuto Muramatsu - Match Practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dld67Quv0lg

ars
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
nice i learn at lot....more...more...

ttEDGE - William
07-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi guys. I've started doing my blog for the Olympics. Video diaries were just taking too long to complete (hours each episode). You can read them (and from fellow Australian Olympics Robert Frank) at: http://www.ttedge.com/news

Steven
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I can't read your 2nd blog. It says I'm not authorized to access the page.Anyway good luck! Are you playing singles on the first day of the Olympics?Sooo.. Lundqvist last time, Zhang Jike this time! :D

WiWa
07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
I can't read your 2nd blog. It says I'm not authorized to access the page.Anyway good luck! Are you playing singles on the first day of the Olympics?Sooo.. Lundqvist last time, Zhang Jike this time! :D
I have the same problem:
'Access denied
You are not authorized to access this page.'

I wish you the very best in the Olympics William!! Getting quite close now isn't it xD

ttEDGE - William
07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry guys - my bad. Forgot to update the permissions. I've fixed this now and uploaded today's blog entry.

Very close now :)

strangeloop
07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Excellent! I can feel your nerves! All the best William!

Der_Echte
07-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Fight on, Warrior William!