Who do you think will win the Australian Open 2017?

• Jun Mizutani

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuto Muramatsu

• Mattias Karlsson

• Others (Harimoto, Oshima, Mattias, Shibaev)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
The World Tour circuit now moves onto the Australian Open. As many of you are aware the recent controversies in China has forced the Chinese National Team to withdraw from the Open. The leader of the men's singles seed is now Jun Mizutani. Jun has just finished in round 1 of the T2 APAC League alongside Samsonov and will both head over to Australia. We have a lot to look forward to this week, the Australian Open is an unpredictable open event. The prestigious tournament will take place in the Gold Coast and begins on the 2nd July and concludes on the 7th July.

Total number of entries so far is: 143

Main Draw

Men's Singles
Women's Singles
Men's Doubles
Women's Doubles

Qualification Day Schedule

Live matches from the Australian Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat with TableTennisDaily members!

Japan's Jun Mizutani, has entered the Australian Open as the #1 seed.

junmizutani2017australianopen.jpg

Jun Mizutani the no.1 seed - Photo by: ITTF

Men's Singles Seeds

samsonov2017australianopen.jpg

Belarus's Vladimir Samsonov enters the Australian Open as the #4 seed - Photo by: ITTF

01) Jun Mizutani
02) Koki Niwa
03) Chuang Chih Yuan
04) Vladimir Samsonov
05) Marcos Freitas
06) Simon Gauzy
07) Kenta Matsudaira
08) Yuto Muramatsu
09) Mattias Karlsson
10) Yuya Oshima
11) Alexander Shibaev
12) Maharu Yoshimura
13) Woojin Jang
14) Chen Chien An
15) Tomokazu Harimoto
16) David Powell

Women Singles Seeds

zhuyuling2017australianopen.jpg

China's Zhu Yuling enters the Australian Open as the #1 seed - Photo by: ITTF

01) Zhu Yuling
02) Feng Tianwei
03) Chen Meng
04) Kasumi Ishikawa
05) Miu Hirano
06) Cheng I-Ching
07) Mima Ito
08) Hitomi Sato
09) Honoka Hashimoto
10) Hina Hayata
11) Jihee Jeon
12) Jian Zeng
13) Miyu Kato
14) Mengyu Yu
15) Yui Hamamoto
16) Lay Jian Fang

For full player entries click here.

With the Chinese withdrawal, the tournament is pretty open! Everyone can beat each other in the top 16 line up! Number 15 seed is dangerous, Harimoto will be looking to get some big wins. Freitas and Gauzy have joined the seeding positions 5 and 6. In form Koki Niwa will want to take top spot. Can anyone eliminate Jun Mizutani? Chuang Chih Yuan and Vladimir Samsonsov fill spaces 3 and 4. A lot of look forward to peeps!

A fantastic event to follow, be sure to get involved on the TTD discussions and join us in the live chat in the ITTF Live Streaming!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular World Tour event! What are your predictions from each event.

Reactions: Jirrex and Suga D
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'll be rooting for Samsonov rising to the occasion. Yet I also think that Mizutani will be keen to assert himself, and the latest plays I've seen from him show him on fire. If he keeps that form I think he'll take this tournament.

On the women's side of things: Zhu Yuling is clearly the most likely winner. But my cheers will be for Mima Ito, as I would like her to break through to a new level and reinvent her game doing it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
i must admit the players NZ sent to this Australian open was fairly poor... I've watched other open tournaments and I don't think I've seen anything like that... of the four NZ sent, LIU teng, SHU dean and CHENG Zhiyang played alright for NZ standards (they actually played like they do train/compete at a high level, again, for Nz standards), but Amor Kelsey was completely shocking. I watched His replay during their qualification stage all 0-4 defeats with scores like 11-2, 11-4, far from what I expected. I thought he would at least put up a game based on who his opponents were, but he was completely rolled over

I'm not sure if it was just me but if you watch his games (and also some of the games by other NZ players) he played like he was no better than recreational players ??

I could be completely wrong but watch his matches and you know what I mean

Last edited:
Reactions: doraemon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Cho Seungmin defeated Jun Mizutani 4:3 !!!

Meanwhile his compatriot Masaki Yoshida was rolled by Simon Gauzy 4:0 !!

Despite having 4 Japanese in the Quarter Finals, 2 have already been eliminated. Lets see if Kenta Matsudaira and Yuya Oshima can save the Japanese dream and get through to the semis.