Patrick Baum Service Training

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Our latest video provided by youtuber Calcutta75 of Patrick baum serve training. Its an amazing video, you get to really see how much wrist movement is going into the ball. Half way through the video there is slow motion footage for you to get a better understanding of the serves. I am really impressed with his reverse serve! So much spin and variation!

patrickbaum_1.365x265.jpg

Photo by: http://szatexmiskolc.hu/

What did you learn?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
What did you learn?

Very identical action for under and side-under ... very small but effective wrist action and timing of transfer of weight ... also immediate switch to ready position ... also noticable was the convex touch on the ball to generate max. spin with slightest touch ( guess harder to control though :) )

This user has no status.
I learnt how not to push - how many of the service returns did he net? ;-)

I jest of course - I get the feeling he spent as much time on the serves as he did trying to disguise them - by that I mean trying to make them look as identical as possible. Good stuff.

Question - should we be trying to be as economical with our serves as possible - i.e. keep movement etc. to a minimum to maximise the effectiveness of the serve and reduce the chance of error. Baum seems to have a look of stuff before and after the serve that seem a little unnecessary - or is it just me? The disguise of course is worthwhile.

says Aging is a killer
Anyone remember an umpire faulting Baum's serves a few months ago? This video proves that the umpire was technically correct. The ball does disappear temporarily behind his head after the ball leaves the palm. I don't know whether it was worth the call though.
Anyway, for that reason, I would not recommend anyone copying the throw itself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
@ Tinykin - I'm sorry I don't see it at all. I'm a film grad and I can see clearly the ball moving in front of his head. Also the camera angle is not from the opponent's view so it's impossibly to see clearly whether the ball is hidden by anything at all.

This to me right here is why umpires shouldn't have the right to call a fault unless clearly hidden by an arm or whatever it may be. Unless you're the opponent there's no way to completely see the angle of the service properly.

No offense made here friend, but I haven't seen an illegal service from Baum in the video above.