Low Throw Angle Bh soft rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hello I have a small problem. .with matching a rubber on one blade I use. .I have three blades. .one is primorac, second applegren allplay and the last virtuoso off -..on every blade I have fh Donic acuda s2 and backhand rakza 7 soft.. on the primorac and applegren it's really good but on the virtuoso off - the throw angle of the bh rakza 7 soft is too high. .the ball jumps above the table with a really high arc.. my question is: should I change the rakza on this blade? If yes can you give me an advice of a grippy and soft rubber like rakza but with a little lower arc..and not too fast since I'm not an advanced player...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How often do you play the V-? Do you use it as much as the other 2?

Is it be V- a different speed than the Primorac?

It may simply be that the V- is faster than the other two or that you are simply not as used to it.

To me it sounds more like you should just use one of the other two blades and stick with that ONE blade and not switch around too much.

But I am not sure if that is correct without more info.

Regardless, staying with one setup and not swapping for several months will actually help your progress.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I have never used a Chinese rubber..maybe I'll try some day but now as far as I'm starting to understand variation and versatility is not a friend of progress in table tennis.. although I'd love to have many different blads in my case.. :) I use applegren most often. It let's me use my body more for creating the speed without having to worry that I can't hit too hard or the ball will fly too far.. I love the virtuoso higher throw for the fh..it gives me more possibility of hitting..difficult or low balls...and they land right on the table. . The problem is only on bh..maybe the rakza 7 soft is too fast for my bh too? I tried the acuda s3 bh..but I didn't like that the surface of the rubber isn't as grippy as r7s..maybe I'll try to adjust the angle and downgrade the thickness of the rubber from 2.0 to 1.8?

This user has no status.
I haven't tried too many low throw bh rubbers but one of the ones I have tried is Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta. Here's an edited review I wrote on tabletennisdb with my thoughts on the rubber.

HPB is solid backhand rubber with good speed and a low throw angle. It has decent spin, much more spin than its predecessor (Alpha) but not as spinny as other modern rubbers like the Tenergy series.

The sponge is relatively soft and the trajectory is very long so in this regard I would say it's comparable to Tenergy 64. It is however much more forgiving and easier to push with. I would say it has good control (ball placement) but you can only take advantage of this once you get used to the trajectory.

Despite relative insensitivity to incoming spin, you will need to adjust to the low throw (I came from medium throw bh rubbers). This rubber does most things adequately but after playing with this on my backhand I feel it excels in blocking and open ups. Due to the long trajectory, power loops and drives/smashes tend to go long if you aren't at least mid-distance from the table.

In my experience it played best with a 7-ply blade with a decently high throw. Playing it on a 5-ply OFF blade felt mushy to me and the medium throw of the blade did not pair well with the low throw of the rubber as it caused many shots to go into the net. All your blades are 5-ply so I'd do some more research.

I would recommend this as a backhand rubber to offensive players with a more passive backhand - relegated to open ups, blocking and counter looping. This is because HPB will pull its weight in these departments while the forehand will be used to finish most points. Notes: An uncut sheet weighs 55g and a cut sheet (normal sized Stiga head) weighs 38g.

I definitely agree that you should stick to one blade. It really messes with your technique, touch and as a result progress if you keep switching.

Otherwise, I feel like any of the classic Sriver rubbers or Mark V could do you some good. It's really easy to get caught up in, then overwhelmed by all the flashy modern equipment but I do feel like some classics still hold up. They're especially great for helping you develop your strokes and generate your own power. I played with Sriver (L) and Sriver FX (though EL was my favorite back in the day) on bh about a year ago and they played well until I decided to move onto something faster. I also had a friend from work who used Mark V both sides and he was able to produce a lot of really fast shots with an ALL+ blade! Sriver (L) and Mark V are very similar but most people would say Mark V is a tiny bit faster and spinnier (not that any are particularly spinny). Based on my experience playing against my friend, Mark V is fairly insensitive spin which is a big plus. Just something to think about. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paweł Banasik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Don't get me wrong. .I'm thinking of maybe using a little lower arc rubber than r7s..I don't want the opposite..the lowest arc and a ball landing on the net every time..the grip is really important to me..I like the grip of r7s but the arc is too high. I don't have 15 blades.. only 3..I'm using one(the slowest one) 80%time..I know it's good to have one blade..especially when you are on a learning stage level. .I wonder if those who criticise the three blades have only one and stick to it 100% time? :) everybody is different..some people don't bother about equipment others like good products and like to have few..even though they realise it's not prefect for them. .to sum up..one is ideal..but I think. .three is not a crime :)

This user has no status.
Hello I have a small problem. .with matching a rubber on one blade I use. .I have three blades. .one is primorac, second applegren allplay and the last virtuoso off -..on every blade I have fh Donic acuda s2 and backhand rakza 7 soft.. on the primorac and applegren it's really good but on the virtuoso off - the throw angle of the bh rakza 7 soft is too high. .the ball jumps above the table with a really high arc.. my question is: should I change the rakza on this blade? If yes can you give me an advice of a grippy and soft rubber like rakza but with a little lower arc..and not too fast since I'm not an advanced player...
Definitely give Donic Acuda Blue P2 a try. It has a low throw angle so it's great for blocking but it can do everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I wonder if those who criticise the three blades have only one and stick to it 100% time? :)[./QUOTE]

Yes. A little testing here and there if something falls by the wayside, not even to find out if there´s something better, although it eventually happens. But never more than one blade at a time, not even in my possession.

three is not a crime :)

No, it isn´t. Especially if you stick to one most of the time. It just makes no sense to use on Monday, the other one Wednesday, and the third one on weekends. ,)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't think there is much of a problem with using more than one blade, or trying different things out. I haven't really bothered doing that in a long time because what I am using really works for me. But there was a point where I tried so many different setups.

I wasn't buying them. I just was training with an outrageous EJ who worked at the club and he would get everyone in the club (and that was literally hundreds of people) to let him try their setups. When we were training, he would make me try them and discuss the details of how each setup played. I learned a lot from that. I have forgotten a lot of it too. [emoji2]

Anyway, in general, trying different setups is fine.

The issues here are twofold.

1) The setup in question isn't working for your BH and hence you created this thread.

2) It actually sounds like you are making an inaccurate assessment of what is going wrong with the V- blade.

If you have the same rubbers on a Primorac Off- and a Virtuoso Off-, the two blades will feel different. But the throw angle should not be that significantly different.

Are the rubbers on one of them much newer or older than the other?

My best guess, without seeing footage, is that the V- is a little faster than the P- and you are not spinning the ball as much on the BH as you need to for the shots you are attempting to make.

My other best guess is that the rubbers on one of the blades are newer or older than the other. And that could be throwing your BH off.

I could be wrong. But with a slightly slower blade the lack of spin on the BH my not be a problem. And with the FH you are likely getting enough spin.

Now it is worth understanding that the technique to generate fairly heavy spin on FH is different than the technique to generate fairly heavy spin on BH. Some people learn one more easily than the other. So it is possible that, with the slower blades, you have not needed the extra spin so you have not noticed the issue. But with the V- you may actually need to improve the technique of your BH a little more to use it effectively. OR you may just need to use it for long enough to feel the right touch for your BH wing.

I really couldn't be sure without seeing footage.

Some solutions to the issue, if what is going on is one of the things I think is going on would be:

1) Use the blade exclusively for a few weeks and do a bunch of training drills to see if you can find the touch with your BH for that blade.

2) Take a few months off from using it. And then try again and see what happens.

3) Get a slower BH rubber but don't worry so much about throw angle. Rakza 7 is a decently fast rubber. Something a little slower that may be just as spinny could be a solution.

But I really don't think the throw angle between P- and V- should be as dramatic a difference as you are presenting.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Thank you. I'll try not to change the rubber. If I don't make progress on my bh virtuoso- with r7s I'll try a slower rubber when the ones I have will be worn off....since I like the Donic rubbers so much. .can you tell me the difference between acuda blue p2 and bluefire jp2?

This user has no status.
Don't get me wrong. .I'm thinking of maybe using a little lower arc rubber than r7s..I don't want the opposite..the lowest arc and a ball landing on the net every time..the grip is really important to me..I like the grip of r7s but the arc is too high. I don't have 15 blades.. only 3..I'm using one(the slowest one) 80%time..I know it's good to have one blade..especially when you are on a learning stage level. .I wonder if those who criticise the three blades have only one and stick to it 100% time? :) everybody is different..some people don't bother about equipment others like good products and like to have few..even though they realise it's not prefect for them. .to sum up..one is ideal..but I think. .three is not a crime :)

My apologies if my post sounded accusatory and there's nothing wrong with having more than one set up. I'm just speaking from my own experience as EJ-ing with lotsof different blades has hindered my game more than it helped - both physically and mentally. If you have something you use 80% of the time, I think that's good enough.

Reactions: Paweł Banasik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Let's put it this way - if you are asking the questions you are asking, 3 is a crime. If you were advanced enough to just have fun using 3 blades, you would adjust between them easily and accept them for what they are. Right now, they are making you believe that the blade/rubber is the main difference for the results you are getting, not the limitations of your technique. That was how I used to feel when I used the blades as lower rated player with unstable technique. Every different rubber felt magically different. Now I have very stable technique, I can tell pretty quickly whether I am going to need to adjust to something or not and what it gives me that other things do not give me. And it usually within a narrow range using the same technique, My results tend to be similar no matter what I use. And once I really like something, I tend to use it almost exclusively for at least a few months with very little switching until I get bored. But I almost never say that the equipment is why I am missing etc. if I am using it for the long term. After 3 days, I should have figured that out because my technique is stable. And if I persist after 3 days, it is because there is some potential that I am looking for. And I can have sets of equipment I rotate that I all like over periods of more than 3 days, but they all tend to be similar stuff with slightly different feel. I've come to accept that I have my own range that may not be the same for other people.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Let's put it this way - if you are asking the questions you are asking, 3 is a crime. If you were advanced enough to just have fun using 3 blades, you would adjust between them easily and accept them for what they are. Right now, they are making you believe that the blade/rubber is the main difference for the results you are getting, not the limitations of your technique. That was how I used to feel when I used the blades as lower rated player with unstable technique. Every different rubber felt magically different. Now I have very stable technique, I can tell pretty quickly whether I am going to need to adjust to something or not and what it gives me that other things do not give me. And it usually within a narrow range using the same technique, My results tend to be similar no matter what I use. And once I really like something, I tend to use it almost exclusively for at least a few months with very little switching until I get bored. But I almost never say that the equipment is why I am missing etc. if I am using it for the long term. After 3 days, I should have figured that out because my technique is stable. And if I persist after 3 days, it is because there is some potential that I am looking for. And I can have sets of equipment I rotate that I all like over periods of more than 3 days, but they all tend to be similar stuff with slightly different feel. I've come to accept that I have my own range that may not be the same for other people.

This is as good a post as you can get.

And this part:

You should read it over and over.

"Let's put it this way - if you are asking the questions you are asking, 3 is a crime. If you were advanced enough to just have fun using 3 blades, you would adjust between them easily and accept them for what they are. Right now, they are making you believe that the blade/rubber is the main difference for the results you are getting, not the limitations of your technique."

In my suggestions, #3 was a compromise because, the fact that you are thinking the fault is in the equipment and not in the technique said to me, perhaps he is not ready to hear the real stuff.

But NextLevel figured out a way of expressing it that was direct and honest. And that, perhaps, over time, you can wrap your mind around as your technique improves.