The UpSideDown Method of Sealing Your Blade

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I made this video with Der_Echte as camera man and accomplice in comedic actions.

I have heard lots of people ask how to seal a blade. So this is how I do it. And you may see why I do it this way if you watch the video. Think: VERY EASY TO DO!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
I made this video with Der_Echte as camera man and accomplice in comedic actions.

I have heard lots of people ask how to seal a blade. So this is how I do it. And you may see why I do it this way if you watch the video. Think: VERY EASY TO DO!

Not sure everyone can follow these instructions, plus I think its kind of ridiculous to ask people to buy $400 worth of equipment just for sealing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016

Carl, nice and clear instruction video. That's exactly how I do it, I copied your method after all ;)

Only instead of a paper towel, I use a piece of a cotton t-shirt, but that's just details.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Carl, is it possible to you to take a clear picture of wipe-on-poly can (front/side/back)?
Here in my country it doesn't sell this exact product, so I will try to find a similar one with similar composition/properties.

Thanks

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not sure everyone can follow these instructions, plus I think its kind of ridiculous to ask people to buy $400 worth of equipment just for sealing.

How did you come up with that number my friend ? :)

Yeah. Interesting. The Wipe-On-Poly costs about $10.00. $9.95 if I remember correctly. Given that I could seal another 300-400 more blades with that can and do a table and a chest of drawers too, perhaps I used $0.03¢ worth on the blade.

Nobody has to seal there blades. And it is so cheap and easy to do that, really, anyone could do it, even without instructions. The Wipe-On-Poly just makes it so simple it is hard to mess up.

And this is also why most TT websites offer FREE blade sealing when you buy a blade from them.

But, to me, it is so easy that I don't see a reason to have someone else do it when I can do it exactly how I want in less than 4 min. With no cleanup. And the whole world able to view the video replay.

All I actually did was put some Wipe-On-Poly on a folded paper towel and rub the wet part of the paper towel onto the wood so that I could see that all surface areas had sealant on them. Easy to see in person but it wouldn't show well on an NSA SpyPhone video.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, is it possible to you to take a clear picture of wipe-on-poly can (front/side/back)?
Here in my country it doesn't sell this exact product, so I will try to find a similar one with similar composition/properties.

Thanks

Sure. I can.

But let's see if Jirrex can explain how he made something that is very similar to this Wipe on Poly by mixing a small amount of regular thickness Poly sealant with solvent.

Carl, nice and clear instruction video. That's exactly how I do it, I copied your method after all ;)

Only instead of a paper towel, I use a piece of a cotton t-shirt but, that's just details.

Jirrex, it was you who mixed your own version of Wipe on Poly, right. Can you tell us how you did it?

By the way, shirt or cloth is fine. I used to use something like that. In some way it works better. Because with my method, after the blade dries, I wipe off a few scattered pieces of paper towel lint from the blade.

But, it doesn't make much difference. And, for me this was more simple. So I stopped using cloth and started using paper towel so I could just throw it away when done.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dude. Does that shirt mean you are a doper? Like, are you cool, man?

Der_Echte tells me that is a palm frond. Isn't it?

8303460fbd25ae10c0d148d51418b2a9.jpg

a1882e5d335acb537c4eb7417636c1eb.jpg

338540b2953f49f0865028d1b1d07b17.jpg

e20e9108c91a3c956ed21480e9902b0f.jpg

Isn't that what it is? Looks like one of those to me. [emoji2]

But being a single father to a troublemaker daughter and recovering from the tragedy we are recovering from, I don't have any time to smoke palm fronds.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
And we all thought you were the "Surfer Dude from Santa Cruz" :p
Der_Echte tells me that is a palm frond. Isn't it?

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Isn't that what it is? Looks like one of those to me. [emoji2]

But being a single father to a troublemaker daughter and recovering from the tragedy we are recovering from, I don't have any time to smoke palm fronds.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Sure. I can.

But let's see if Jirrex can explain how he made something that is very similar to this Wipe on Poly by mixing a small amount of regular thickness Poly sealant with solvent.

Jirrex, it was you who mixed your own version of Wipe on Poly, right. Can you tell us how you did it?

By the way, shirt or cloth is fine. I used to use something like that. In some way it works better. Because with my method, after the blade dries, I wipe off a few scattered pieces of paper towel lint from the blade.

But, it doesn't make much difference. And, for me this was more simple. So I stopped using cloth and started using paper towel so I could just throw it away when done.

Carl, it was me indeed that attempted to make his own Wipe-On Poly.

The thing is that Wipe-On Poly (from Minwax) isn't available in Europe and I didn't succeed to find a similar product from a different brand. After googling a bit, I found out that Minwax Wipe-On Poly was in fact a varnish from Polyurethane resin that had been thinned down with a solvent. So I bought a can of Polyurethane varnish and a bottle of mineral spirits (note that I bought an oil based varnish, not water based) and thinned down the varnish in a 1:1 ratio. With that ratio, you're able to apply a very thin layer and it still contains enough Polyurethane to 'seal' the blade. I did some tests on wood and I also 'sealed' a photo print made with an inkjet printer, which appeared to be waterproof afterwards.

Because I was new to gluing rubbers, I did start over a few times. Removing the rubbers didn't cause any damage (of course this doesn't mean that without sealing it would have been otherwise) and all the glue sticked to the rubber.

@shinshiro

I hope this information is useful to you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, it was me indeed that attempted to make his own Wipe-On Poly.

The thing is that Wipe-On Poly (from Minwax) isn't available in Europe and I didn't succeed to find a similar product from a different brand. After googling a bit, I found out that Minwax Wipe-On Poly was in fact a varnish from Polyurethane resin that had been thinned down with a solvent. So I bought a can of Polyurethane varnish and a bottle of mineral spirits (note that I bought an oil based varnish, not water based) and thinned down the varnish in a 1:1 ratio. With that ratio, you're able to apply a very thin layer and it still contains enough Polyurethane to 'seal' the blade. I did some tests on wood and I also 'sealed' a photo print made with an inkjet printer, which appeared to be waterproof afterwards.

Because I was new to gluing rubbers, I did start over a few times. Removing the rubbers didn't cause any damage (of course this doesn't mean that without sealing it would have been otherwise) and all the glue sticked to the rubber.

@shinshiro

I hope this information is useful to you.

Thanks. Great info Jirrex. Helpful for anyone who is in a region where MinWax Wipe-On-Poly is unavailable.

Reactions: Suga D and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks Jirrex!
Wipe-On-Poly from Minwax is water based or oil based? (@Carl, @Jirrex)
I understand nothing about this subject, sorry if it is an obvious question...

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Thanks Jirrex!

There are two versions of Minwax Wipe-On Poly, water based and oil based. Carl uses the latter.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Jirrex!

There are two versions of Minwax Wipe-On Poly, water based and oil based. Carl uses the latter.

That is the answer. I like the good old fashioned stuff with the VOCs.

And you can make your own of the VOC version. But, without a lab and the required scientists, I doubt we could figure out how to make the water based stuff. Too complicated.

But a solvent like mineral spirits mixed with a VOC Poly and you can make your own thin Poly to wipe on.

I can't imagine anything being able to make a thinner coat that fully seals the blade surface.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dude. Does that shirt mean you are a doper? Like, are you cool, man?

Baal, in some strange way, the Nexy Korea president looked at young palm trees that are bent to the side a little (if you visit California, you will see these) and made his logo from that.

I used to think it was a palm leaf, but the first month I moved to California, I saw such palm trees and saw what he tried to draw.

palm12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Thanks

Here you go:

9518aab10d943d1460ae51e3eba9419f.jpg

0d965e25c23e7a78468ad4f0c246d119.jpg

b589f0b294a085cf79740d411921811b.jpg

10dbb1ca91f809cb7e24551dc91fb206.jpg