Penhold Setup Question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Greetings guys.

I just wanted some feedback regarding my planned new setup.

I am a Penholder who still has many things to learn, and rallying is one of them. I usually get my points off third ball attacks and my service (since I am still an amateur I guess) and I only recently learned how to receive with an RPB flick (which I thought was impossible, but I'm glad I did it and it helps me a lot in winning points) but here's the deal.. I rarely get points off rallies, since my forehand loop goes beyond the table more often than not.

Here's my setup btw:
Blade: 729 Bomb (Penhold)
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Focus III Snipe

I was thinking, that it's either my form or my blade that's wrong (because probably it's way too fast for me) so I was planning to have a new setup, namely:

Blade: Stiga Allround Classic WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: Focus III Snipe

I am not quite sure about the Forehand rubber. I have read that Hurricane 2 is a bit slower and has more control than the Hurricane 3, and besides, it's cheap. My budget is also a factor since I could probably just spend $70 max. (btw, that setup costs ~$63 in our country)

So uhm, am I good or do you have any recommendations regarding my setup? Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'll help you with a real short answer.

It's not the equipment. It's your skill & experience. Keep practicing until you can simply hit a forehand in more consistently. Consistency on the amateur level is king.

Ugh I really didn't want to get into equipment talk because I stand by what i wrote above but after seeing your choices and after playing almost every cheap Chinese rubber under the sun, my person opinion is that firm Chinese tacky rubbers are bad for amateurs.

Sure all the CNT members play Chinese tacky but they have specialized, hand-picked top quality tuned sponges. You couldn't even get those if you tried.

Take any standard H3 or H2 (even worse) sponge and do a pinch test. Not a whole lot of give in those sponges. For me hard or firm sponges are fast but less spin (when the sponge isn't fully engaged) and give overall less room for error. You have to have perfect technique almost every time to get the most out of the sponge. I'm guessing you'll continue to hit the ball long with these.

Now euro tenor significant softer or springier sponges can't reach the top end speed of a hard sponge but IMO they give far greater arch in your ball flight patch which makes your shots much safer & more likely to go in. Furthermore, if you have a shot that's not picture perfect on technique, they'll bail you out sometimes with good arch and still break in. Just my 2 cents. Equipment opinions you'll find are like armpits. Everybody has them and they all stink. :p :p

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Ur blade may be fast but you can try doing multiball training with a full stroke.(this is very important make sure you dont cut half of the action because u find the ball going off the table). If the ball goes off the table dont use less strength or a smaller stroke instead try changing your racket angle (how much you close it).

IMO you do not need to waste money to get a new setup. As for correct form get a coach or send a video of you playing here.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'll stick with my blade a little bit longer I guess?

Anyway, I also considered buying a new one since it's pretty old. It has been with me for two years now. the topsheet of my Focus III Snipe is also gradually being removed in the part where my fingers are, so that's that. I guess I have to work more with my strokes.. It's kinda hard trying to practice without someone to guide you - most of my skills were just me trying to imitate tutorial vids on YouTube or sometimes I experiment through trial and error so I still have much to learn.

Again, thanks :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... just one piece of advise ... in case you anyways decide to change , don't change too many things at once , then it becomes difficult to figure out if the change worked or not ... point in case , in this case, may be change the blade first and see if it works , and then the rubbers if its absolutely required ... I haven't used the blade you are using , but from the reviews out there there seems no reason to change it .. may be you can post your videos and more people can help you out with your decision

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... just one piece of advice ... in case you anyways decide to change , don't change too many things at once , then it becomes difficult to figure out if the change worked or not ... point in case , in this case, may be change the blade first and see if it works , and then the rubbers if its absolutely required ... I haven't used the blade you are using , but from the reviews out there there seems no reason to change it .. may be you can post your videos and more people can help you out with your decision

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Firstly, welcome to TTD Aresviel

I'm not an equipment junkie per se and am only into my 2nd year playing after a 30+yrs break. So I won't

Agree with advice posted above. Train with a drill to see how long you can hit FH to FH ... peak at 5? aim for 10? reached 10? aim for 20, then 30, then 50, etc.

Then BH to BH... then FH to BH then BH to FH, then eventually counter-looping.

Your rallies will improve

Good luck and have fun in your training!

~osph

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
What he really wanted to say is that there is a penholder's only thread that he has created and wants to recruit you for that , can't fault him for that since populism is on the rise globally ! :p
Firstly, welcome to TTD Aresviel

I'm not an equipment junkie per se and am only into my 2nd year playing after a 30+yrs break. So I won't

Agree with advice posted above. Train with a drill to see how long you can hit FH to FH ... peak at 5? aim for 10? reached 10? aim for 20, then 30, then 50, etc.

Then BH to BH... then FH to BH then BH to FH, then eventually counter-looping.

Your rallies will improve

Good luck and have fun in your training!

~osph

You could get a five ply Chinese made all round. I got one for ten pounds on eBay (friendship 729). It was super lightweight (75g) and very flexible with lots of feeling and strong vibration. A bit slow, but crazy spinny and very comfortable for rpb. Wish I'd learned on it. Also, boost your h3, I was late to that and it makes things much easier