Why pros blow their thumbs

says Aging is a killer
I see this all the time where players blow their thumbs in between rallies. Apparently it calms the nerves.

Calm your nerves

There is a simple hack on how to tone down those jumpy nerves and anxieties in your gut.
Just blow on your thumb!
As weird as it may sound, this method actually eases the breathing and soothes the Vagus nerve, which is responsible for your heartbeat escalations.

Also have you noticed that some players always wash their face before a match? here's the reason why;

Relax the nervous system

To get rid of stress and feel calmer, the only thing you need to do is to wash your face with ice-cold water, while holding your breath.

This way, the water coldness will cause the “mammalian diving reflex.” What happens is, the organism is able to handle oxygen in a better way, which results in a more relaxed organism. Treating stress with cold water has been a home treatment known and practiced for years in many cultures.
For a similar experience, you can simply drink an ice-cold glass of water. This will help you relax even when splashing water on your face is off the table.

This I found out in this article:
http://www.themagicoflife.info/health/if-you-blow-thumb-heres-the-effect-it-will-have-on-your-body/

Reactions: Suga D and romanzdk
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Are you talking about them blowing on their off hand or racket hand.

This may have the unintended result your article talked about. But it may have to do with cooling the hand instead of something else.

I think that may also be the reason for putting the palm on the table near the net on the BH side between points.

By hands don't sweat a lot but I do both of those things to cool my racket hand regularly.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
I think that may also be the reason for putting the palm on the table near the net on the BH side between points.
Never understood why on Earth anyone would want to smear his sweat on the TT table he is playing on. Nothing is as good as a clean and neat table surface!

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Never understood why on Earth anyone would want to smear his sweat on the TT table he is playing on. Nothing is as good as a clean and neat table surface!

I think that is why they do it so close to the net. But you should try it some time. When I have done it, the sweat evaporates very fast and the table has always felt cooler than I thought it would so it feels very nice to the palm of your hand.

says Aging is a killer
Are you talking about them blowing on their off hand or racket hand?

This may have the unintended result your article talked about. But it may have to do with cooling the hand instead of something else.

By hands don't sweat a lot but I do both of those things to cool my racket hand regularly.

I was refering to players who blow on their racket hand.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was refering to players who blow on their racket hand.

Okay. Then, that is probably drying/cooling the hand. Still it is cool that it has the added benefit of calming the nerves.

Reactions: Gourav Acharya