Table Tennis Drills

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hello, everyone!

I have been playing table tennis for a bit over 6 years now (I'm 15), and I'm a left-handed offensive-oriented type of player. My strengths are forehand loops, backhand flicks, and topspin, and pendulum/reverse pendulum serves with variation. Everything else is quite average, to be honest, but still pretty good. Obviously, it's not good enough, which is why I come here and ask for your assistance. Technically, I'm aware of how to do "everything you need to know," since I can't say "everything" in table tennis, or at least, I have the basic principles of how to do "everything" in table tennis; In-game, not much. You see, I play in a public park since it's free. I go to a local club whenever a tournament is nearing by to practice with a few better players. In the public park I go to, I train with people at around the 2000 rating (Cuban National Team former players, J-Pen long-pip players, and a Seemiler grip player with short/long pips to name a few people that go) so, I have a good variety of players.

The problem is, the only person I can actually say "Hey! Let's train!" Is with my dad, and one or two people that are waiting to play next; basically my dad (Thank you!). We start off with a volley of around a minute or two on each side, and then I basically tell my dad to serve with backspin so that I can flick, topspin, or push the ball, and that's all the training I get. The rest is watching YouTube videos of matches and I start creating strategies and whatnot.

I would appreciate if there are any drills that you could recommend that do not require multiball(Since I play in a local park...) and can contribute to SOMETHING of improvement. Not to say that I don't improve my flicks every time I get to do them with my dad, for example, but that's basically the only thing I'm working on, and I'm pretty sure that there's a bunch of drills that contribute to every aspect of the game, and is more beneficial over the long run than only one stroke at a time.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: doraemon
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
if you really enjoy table tennis and want to improve your skill, try to spend some money in China, I can tell you, one or two lesson can make a lot different, of-course they can not make you to be the champion immediately but they can teach you alot. A good coach is only 100 Chinese Renminbi per hour, if you train with them more day and hour, it can be cheaper, say one week serious train there, you can learn a lot. Hotel is only 300 or even cheaper .
I can tell you they can make the different

Sep 2016
I am 60 next yr, playing table tennis for a long time, winning a lot tournament but still go there to train with the coaches there

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
if you really enjoy table tennis and want to improve your skill, try to spend some money in China, I can tell you, one or two lesson can make a lot different, of-course they can not make you to be the champion immediately but they can teach you alot. A good coach is only 100 Chinese Renminbi per hour, if you train with them more day and hour, it can be cheaper, say one week serious train there, you can learn a lot. Hotel is only 300 or even cheaper .
I can tell you they can make the different

Believe me, I really want to go to China, but if I can’t even afford to go to a local club a few times a week, how can I go to CHINA? I watch YouTube videos of Chinese teachings instead of European teachings, and you’re right, Chinese teachings are MUCH more effective than European teachings. Not saying that the European style of playing table tennis is worse or not, it does have some benefits, but overall, the Chinese really focus on technique instead of equipment. I train mainly with Cuban coaches, and when I went to Cuba, I met a PanAmerican coach for the Cuban national team, which was more than convenient. Most Cubans base their technique on the Chinese, since they can’t really find any European stuff there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I’ve seen both threads before, and I got to say, they’re useful for what I need now, especially the training videos. Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
You could also try some rallying drills where you switch between backhand and forehand. These sort of drills are good for developing your rallying foundations, good for footwork, good for recovery position, good for switching between strokes.

For examples, take a look at this page on my website: http://www.tabletenniscoach.me.uk/5-training-drills-switching-forehand-backhand-strokes/

You can easily do these drills with your Dad (if he's up for it).

Reactions: Clu37
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
You could also try some rallying drills where you switch between backhand and forehand. These sort of drills are good for developing your rallying foundations, good for footwork, good for recovery position, good for switching between strokes.

For examples, take a look at this page on my website: http://www.tabletenniscoach.me.uk/5-training-drills-switching-forehand-backhand-strokes/

You can easily do these drills with your Dad (if he's up for it).

These drills are awesome for what I need! Even though we do most of these drills, we only do them from time to time, like a very long break or when I feel out of my game, but I never do the full complete movement of a stoke when rallying, kind of defeating the purpose of the rally. I’ll start training pretty hard the next few days with these rallies. Great website btw, I visit that website from time to time.

Reactions: TableTennisTom
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Well, yesterday, I started to set main objectives for what I wanted to accomplish. Yesterday's goals were to utilize spin instead of speed (I need to work on spin as I rarely use spin in my forehand) and to control myself during the game (I used to get very angry and started yelling when I lost points... But I'm working on it now). To my surprise, both goals were met yesterday, and I want to keep implementing those goals along with training goals throughout the month. I talked with a ~2000 rating player and he agreed to help me train, so we'll probably be using these drills. Thanks!

Reactions: TableTennisTom