PDA

View Full Version : Making a return to the sport

Garyw1960
08-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Hi from Norfolk England. After a 40 year lay off I want to regain some fitness and loose some weight,. Looking at the vetts site there are many I recognise from my past still playing in the over 50s. My timing is off, returns too easy to destroy and serve is pretty average. So a way to go . Things have moved on so much, terminology is alien in terms of equipment. Currently playing with a Stiga all round blade shod with yasaka new era which seems very lively. I will be asking a few beginners questions in the future so please have patience if they are of rudimentary level.
Kind regards
Gary

Jaffar Lone
08-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Welcome back to the game, Gary.

Hi from Norfolk England. After a 40 year lay off I want to regain some fitness and loose some weight,. Looking at the vetts site there are many I recognise from my past still playing in the over 50s. My timing is off, returns too easy to destroy and serve is pretty average. So a way to go . Things have moved on so much, terminology is alien in terms of equipment. Currently playing with a Stiga all round blade shod with yasaka new era which seems very lively. I will be asking a few beginners questions in the future so please have patience if they are of rudimentary level.
Kind regards
Gary

TableTennisTom
08-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Even with a 40 year lay off, you can still get back playing to a decent standard. Yes, some things will have changed, but there are some universals which will always apply - tactics, placement, consistency etc. We have players in my local league (Cambridge) who are still going strong in their 70s. Hope you return to table tennis goes well!

darucla
08-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Don't want to seem like I'm one-upping, but I had a 50+ year layoff :p . I also live in Norfolk, Norwich to be exact, and I love to talk bout equipment and such. If you need anything, drop me a line.

Garyw1960
08-02-2017, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the offer, we probably were in different age groups in the counties, assuming you were Norfolk born. I played in the Gt Yarmouth league, entering counties and training at CEYMS and UEA.

darucla
08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
No, I came to Norwich originally to go to UEA in 1970, and then came back for the same reason in 2001. I do play at CEYMS though; in fact have formed a new division 3 team for the coming season, if you are interested.

Garyw1960
08-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the offer...Looked at the league, some venues will be a 30 mile journey from me so at this stage I will be playing locally to see if I can regain anything of my former level. Again thanks. Gary

darucla
08-05-2017, 02:57 PM
No worries. We have 6 team members at the moment, for a 4 man team. The idea is to have spare players when someone can't make a particular night. Apparently, some people have lives outside of table tennis. Hard to imagine.;)