PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology of an Internet Troll

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Research studies show these traits are the most common in internet trolls:

1) The need to be in the spotlight: narcissism: wants to be center of attention, don't care about other people, need other people to look at you.
2) Antisocial; Psychopothy: lack of empathy.
3) Machiavellianism: manipulating people for personal gain.
4) Sadism, getting off on harming others.

These are known as the dark tetrad.

Why do trolls troll:

1) Seeking conflict/attention factor: they want attention and negative attention is better than none at all.
2) Viciousness/nastiness factor: Malicious; pure sadism.
3) Low self confidence factor: trolling to get status.
4) Amusement factor: trolling just for the LULZ.

Solutions for dealing with trolls:

1) Band together and self police.
2) Learn to ignore obvious trolling posts: don't feed the trolls.
3) See it for what it is. Don't get sucked into the trolls behavior.
4) You have to ignore trolls. If the troll doesn't get the attention he is seeking the troll can lose interest.

Well, some trolls have proved quite persistent over years and years. :)

==

I posted that in another thread. I got the information from this podcast:

https://youtu.be/TT1HE6pa1qA

This video sums up the same points quite concisely:

https://youtu.be/5gqHTlBp6iY

This next one is quite short and very helpful.

https://youtu.be/6Zxy_dScjsM

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 06:16 PM
This one is short and decent as well:

https://youtu.be/82cPC4KaRZA

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 06:26 PM
This one comes at the issue from a different perspective and is kind of funny.

https://youtu.be/hrY7OySPkgk

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
To me one of the things that is most interesting about internet trolls is how the studies show that the anonymity of the internet seem to embolden them to express their sadistic traits and explore gratifying this kind of antisocial behavior.

How most internet trolls have these underlying tendencies to begin with. But the idea of nobody being able to figure out who they are in real life gave rise to them acting in ways they would not have felt comfortable acting towards people in person.

Since the rewards for the trolling behavior

1) Possibility of attention (narcissistic tendencies).
2) The pleasure of causing other people's emotional distress (sadistic tendencies).
3) The enjoyment of manipulating people (Machiavellian tendencies).

The tendency that enables the troll to engage in trolling behavior is:

LACK OF EMPATHY. This is also called ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR or

PSYCHOPATHY. This one I will say again: Psychopathy.

So the annoying jerks that troll the forums have psychopathic tendencies!

I wonder what the frequency of these guys getting a taste of their DARK personality traits causes them to lose their inhibitions and explore means of achieving those rewards in the real world.

Do some internet trolls graduate to become real life PSYCHOPATHS?

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 06:58 PM
It is also interesting that one of the most effective tools for handling these trolls is not ignoring them; it's also not arguing with them; It seems to be that REVEALING THEIR TRUE IDENTITY is one of the most effective ways of dealing with them.

When their true identity is revealed, they are less comfortable revealing their desire to harm others, to enjoy their pain and to manipulate them.

ttmonster
08-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks Carl ! This stuff is really helpful ! In this day and age I would say it should be mandatory for everybody to go through this to understand how and why trolls do what they do !

Tinykin
08-05-2017, 08:04 PM
"narcissism: wants to be center of attention, don't care about other people, need other people to look at you"

Do trolls also like to use twitter?

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 08:43 PM
"narcissism: wants to be center of attention, don't care about other people, need other people to look at you"

Do trolls also like to use twitter?

Most definitely. They are everywhere on the internet.

But with the more troublesome versions of trolls, it is not just narcissism. It is all four traits in the "Dark Tetrad" which all come into play:

1) Narcissism: wanting to be the center of attention.
2) Psychopathy: Antisocial behavior: lack of empathy for others.
3) Machiavellianism: manipulating people for personal gain.
&
4) Sadism: enjoying the emotional distress of others.

The four combined makes it clear that the people who are consistently drawn to trolling behaviors over and over are actually more emotionally disturbed than one may otherwise have realized.

Which is why I decided to make this thread.

UpSideDownCarl
08-05-2017, 08:49 PM
The fact that the anonymity of the internet allows them to exercise the traits listed in the Dark Tetrad without normal social repercussions is equally as interesting.

The guy who posted this video does a good job of exposing that for what it is/

https://youtu.be/hrY7OySPkgk

I did post that same video above.

talbon
08-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Like poisonous mushrooms, trolls seem to go mostly after stupid people.

Are poisonous mushrooms sadist per se?

Der_Echte
08-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Yes, one may be able to deduce that, but Der_Echte reserves the right to accuse individuals here and there occasionally of consuming salads containing California grown mushrooms, some of which are famously hallucinogenic.

Der_Echte
08-05-2017, 09:31 PM
... all of which is ironic since it is publically known Der_Echte recently completed a move to California.

ttmonster
08-05-2017, 09:58 PM
table tennis deprived Der_Echte is on a troll oops ... I meant roll ! :P

... all of which is ironic since it is publically known Der_Echte recently completed a move to California.

Baal
08-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Ban them.

UpSideDownCarl
08-06-2017, 01:13 AM
Ban them.

Yeah. Researching the subject makes me feel that is the right approach.

Der_Echte
08-06-2017, 02:33 AM
Ban the mushrooms? That will give us less things to reference erotic behavior of posters, it is one of my favorite lines, I would rather leave the option to use it occasionally. :)

ttmonster
08-06-2017, 03:47 AM
... whenever the shiitake hits the fans ? :P

Ban the mushrooms? That will give us less things to reference erotic behavior of posters, it is one of my favorite lines, I would rather leave the option to use it occasionally. :)

Xanderngzien
08-06-2017, 03:49 AM
The problem for me is.... im a troll . On another forum though. How do i change :(

pgpg
08-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Please leave poster's sex lives out of it, Der_Echte. :)

UpSideDownCarl
08-06-2017, 02:18 PM
The problem for me is.... im a troll . On another forum though. How do i change :(

To me, the most interesting part of this post is that it is worded in troll form. It is worded to elicit a response. It is not harmful trolling though. But some habits are hard to change.

Perhaps you would have to really want to change and then you would have to look at how you worded things and even whether you want to press that send button.

It is worth knowing that, originally the term trolling came from the phrase:

"Trolling for newbies."

And it was just activity meant to get a response from newer members to a forum. It served to get more people active on a forum. So, from this perspective, Dan's giveaway contest threads serve a similar purpose.

So, not all trolling is bad.

But I guess if you are making comments that are going to get someone upset, it is worth asking yourself why you want to make someone you probably don't know upset.

talbon
08-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Can't tell if UpSideDownCarl and Trump are actually very clever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super moderator trolling the trolls to make the forum lively, or just waiting for a new brain transplant? From other posts would guess the former.

TTHopeful
08-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Good videos carl. My fav part with ttd is that it has very few trolls unlike other sites i've been on. Once a troll always a troll.

UpSideDownCarl
08-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Can't tell if UpSideDownCarl and Trump are actually very clever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super moderator trolling the trolls to make the forum lively, or just waiting for a new brain transplant? From other posts would guess the former.

This is totally funny. That there is one fine piece of trolling. [emoji2]

UpSideDownCarl
08-06-2017, 06:36 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW: I love that figure.

ttmonster
08-06-2017, 09:10 PM
ya , I am yet to figure out how he got the smiley face inside those braces , have been wondering since yesterday , OP care to divulge ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW: I love that figure.

UpSideDownCarl
08-06-2017, 09:26 PM
ya , I am yet to figure out how he got the smiley face inside those braces , have been wondering since yesterday , OP care to divulge ?

The top line for the hands, the slanting " for the eyes and the curved slant for the mouth all seem mysteries to me. [emoji2]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Selecting and copying worked for me though.

><(((°>

Baal
08-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Some of our classic tt forum trolls, I have often thanked my lucky stars that they are not co-workers. Can you even imagine having to deal with AH daily? When he came back his style was so characteristic it took less than a week to sniff him out.

One of our most famous ones I actually met face to face. He was right on the edge of the autism spectrum in person I think, as you might expect for the kinds of things he obsessed about. He was not in the last bit charismatic like some people who have the "dark tetrad". In retrospect I am not sure he was a typical troll, he was more of a monomaniac who also had no self-awareness (or awareness of what his "loop" looked like). Carl knows of whom I speak. I think his motivation was different, even though the effect was the same.

In the US we are now a trollocracy, and one can see that it is not..... hmmm...... must use my words carefully. Well, it is..... not..... I will leave it at that.

silvershamaa
08-07-2017, 12:24 AM
It was made using a Japanese character: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%82%B7

¯\_(シ)_/¯

Baal
08-07-2017, 04:25 AM

Simple. Get your trolling kicks by only trolling sites that are populated by generally evil people.

UpSideDownCarl
04-22-2018, 02:35 PM
I decided it was time to wake this thread up. Information on the psychology of an internet troll.

Baal
04-22-2018, 03:12 PM
It is interesting to revisit.

berndtjgmann
04-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Good grief! Some guy with cute animated graphics and some postadolescent goatee with no training in psychology whatsoever and you actually take these people seriously?????(emoticon for credulity above and beyond the call of duty)

This is pop psych for the Dr. Phil crowd. And you fall for it????

If someone were to post a YouTube video called The Psychology of Moderators of Table Tennis Forums who had no psychological credentials whatsoever would you believe that person hook line and sinker?

Baal
04-22-2018, 03:45 PM
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914000324

The original science.

Baal
04-22-2018, 03:48 PM
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_152440844324411&key=ce074976249105acf14d8c9cf69bdcd1&libId=jgaxeyx501003n6p000MAb6o5krys&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fnews%2Finternet-trolls-as-explained-by-science%2F&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fscottbarrykaufman.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F02%2Ftrolls-just-want-to-have-fun.pdf&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&title=Internet%20trolls%20explained%20by%20science%20-%20CNET&txt=2014%20research%20paper%20(PDF)

The full article. I'm not a psychologist. But I can search academic literature. And I know statistics.

Here is a more recent study. Peer-reviewed. Not Dr. Phil.

https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.ezproxyhost.library.tmc.edu/pubmed/29663396

berndtjgmann
04-22-2018, 04:16 PM
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914000324

The original science.

The original science.

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

​"An internet manifestation of everyday sadism"? My stars and little fishes! Internet trolling sadism Dark Tetrad personality disorder!!!!???? Whoa. Damn.

I'm a sadist, I'm a sadist
With Dark Tetrad tendencies
And I post on tt forums
Moderators to displease.

Please please please don't let the Southwest Tucson Veterans' Administration clinic know about this grievous condition. They'd take away my volunteer badge and then I couldn't sing and play old time country on my digital keyboard as a volunteer musical recreational aide with my friends "Lonesome Ron" Riggs, Rick "Ringo" Garcia and Eileen "Patsy Cline" Lupkes three Tuesdays a month from 11:30 to 1:30 for disabled vets at the building 60 dining hall.

Dark Tetrad personality disorder--pffft

And I'm supposed to be some sort of cybermonster?:mad:

Der_Echte
04-22-2018, 05:02 PM
I'll tell y'all this... music performed by volunteers or paid trolls can be mighty soothing and helpful to those with mind trauma or other feel bads.

That is an under-researched and under-discussed and used tool.

berndtjgmann
04-22-2018, 05:07 PM
I'll tell y'all this... music performed by volunteers or paid trolls can be mighty soothing and helpful to those with mind trauma or other feel bads.

That is an under-researched and under-discussed and used tool.

Damn straight, Der Echte. As you were. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. All volunteers, veterans or not (I am) volunteer for free.

laistrogian
04-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Internet is full of ****ed up assholes. Well, what do you know?

NextLevel
04-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Internet is full of ****ed up assholes. Well, what do you know?

Yeah but since you can avoid ****ed up assholes in everyday life or just be kept away from them by social barriers and authority figures that do not often exist on the internet, your statement is not as profound as you think it is. In fact, one of the things I suapect is that you wouldn't speak to me in the manner you just wrote if we were face to face.

talbon
04-22-2018, 08:44 PM
If we start digging old threads, I'm gonna have to be accountable for what I write. Uh-huh. I hereby retract my interrogative statement about Carl and Trump. Carl is unlikely to be wearing a wig, and in retrospect, is a fairly laid back moderator (with at most a slight obsession over trolls).

If it were me, berndtkhgsgmann would be preemptively banned. The ban would extend until the powers that be receive from him a public letter of apology, in his best prose or even in poem form. The letter would express his regret at claiming the superiority of hardbat over normal table tennis, played by normal people with two arms, two legs, two brain hemispheres and two sponges on their bat. It would actually express his regret for talking about hardbat at all, for attempting to maintain the old ways of hardbat in this modern era of ours, and acknowledge the dark influence of hardbat on the development of proper table tennis in the United States up to this day.

We would get to see the spark die in his eyes and that would be very enjoyable.

berndtjgmann
04-22-2018, 09:06 PM
If we start digging old threads, I'm gonna have to be accountable for what I write. Uh-huh. I hereby retract my interrogative statement about Carl and Trump. Carl is unlikely to be wearing a wig, and in retrospect, is a fairly laid back moderator (with at most a slight obsession over trolls).

If it were me, berndtkhgsgmann would be preemptively banned. The ban would extend until the powers that be receive from him a public letter of apology, in his best prose or even in poem form. The letter would express his regret at claiming the superiority of hardbat over normal table tennis, played by normal people with two arms, two legs, two brain hemispheres and two sponges on their bat. It would actually express his regret for talking about hardbat at all, for attempting to maintain the old ways of hardbat in this modern era of ours, and acknowledge the dark influence of hardbat on the development of proper table tennis in the United States up to this day.

We would get to see the spark die in his eyes and that would be very enjoyable.

Herewith my paean of apology
For ridiculing legitimate psychology.
I acknowledge that Internet trolls
Do harm to well-meaning decent folk
With sensitive souls.

And how insensitive of me
To claim superiority
Of classic play in days of yore
Attack, defense still held the day
But no one now still plays that way.

It has to be--yes it must be
A deep Dark Tetrad tendency
On the part of accursed old me
To sing of such as Richard B.
The Lion-Heart, the Needle,
Let's not forget Dixie.
Thus endeth my apology.

Sorry 'bout that.

Lightzy
04-23-2018, 02:16 AM
Please, no more.

Your entire discussion just shows how you're trolls yourself. It's all meant to empower you to point at someone and call them troll, when you SHOULD be staying on TOPIC.
There are people on this forum with a very strong tendency towards this, I think it's abhorrent, and just.. enough.

UpSideDownCarl
04-23-2018, 05:49 AM
I find it interesting that one of the things that makes many internet trolls go away is the removal of anonymity.

Internet anonymity is useful in some circumstances. But some people use the anonymity to say things they would never say if they were in person.

Orlandini
05-08-2018, 12:55 PM
I think you're spot on, Carl. It's "some" people, but it's "most" trolls who do that as well. Trolls are just anonymously venting frustration they would never show in real life because they don't know how to deal with those kinds of emotions, but anonymity allows them to do it without consequence.

UpSideDownCarl
10-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Every so often, waking this old thread up is worth it. :)

NextLevel
10-19-2018, 05:33 PM
This ARB guy is persistent that's for sure.