Does normal glue work?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What kind of rubber do you use?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The reason I asked is that it depends a bit on the price of your rubbers and your blades and other things that could happen. As PolishTT17 mentioned, some glues will be impossible to get off your blade. I don't know about Uhu, but it is a resin-based adhesive so I would worry about that a lot.

In general table tennis glues are pretty well optimized for table tennis. The way I see it is if someone is using a really expensive rubber (the ones I use cause $50 per sheet), I am not going to try to save a couple of dollars on the glue, because if the glue job is less than perfect, what is the point of using expensive rubber? Table tennis glues are expensive compared to other glues, but when you consider how little you use, it is still really cheap to use them to change a set of rubbers. A lot less than the rubber!

But if your Chinese rubber is very inexpensive and the cost of table tennis glue is too much you can find cheaper latex-based alternatives that are closer to table tennis glue, like Copydex or Tearmender. Or you can use rubber cement, which works ok, and comes off the blade later when you want to replace your rubber. However if you are playing a tournament where they check your blade for solvents, do it at least a week before.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The information presented so far is mainly what you need.

That glue will "work". But if/when you try to take the rubber off it is highly likely that won't go well and you will damage the blade and need a new one.

Another detail which may be worth having is, the TT glue fully covers the pores of the sponge. I am not so sure you will get that with a glue stick.

Last detail to look at: glues designed for gluing rubbers on are made of rubber or latex which has similar properties to rubber. They add to the springiness of the sponge so the rubbers play better with them. A resin based glue like what you are talking about, would it be springy and bouncy when it dries or would it harden? If it hardens, the rubbers will not play as well.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.

That glue will "work". But if/when you try to take the rubber off it is highly likely that won't go well and you will damage the blade and need a new one.

Another detail which may be worth having is, the TT glue fully covers the pores of the sponge. I am not so sure you will get that with a glue stick.

Last detail to look at: glues designed for gluing rubbers on are made of rubber or latex which has similar properties to rubber. They add to the springiness of the sponge so the rubbers play better with them. A resin based glue like what you are talking about, would it be springy and bouncy when it dries or would it harden? If it hardens, the rubbers will not play as well.

I don't think UHU is resin based. It is a paper glue like usual glue in a stick in the first place.

uhu_1334566871.jpg

I prefer KKK glue though, powerful and long lasting enough to keep the rubber in place for 6 months, but enable easy separation when needed.

6401772_3bd26bac-d71b-4a8f-862f-038c1e49507d.jpg

It is not VOC free though, so your rubber will feel rejuvenated just after application. [emoji28]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.

I don't think UHU is resin based. It is a paper glue like usual glue in a stick in the first place.

I prefer KKK glue though, powerful and long lasting enough to keep the rubber in place for 6 months, but enable easy separation when needed.

It is not VOC free though. [emoji28]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If using Chinese rubbers, I've always used rubber cement. I find it easier to work with and faster than standard table tennis glues.

But you should know that rubber cement slightly expands your sponge. So if say you have a tuned already stretched euro rubber that's epensive, you have to ask yourself if you want to stretch it any more. For that maybe I say no.

But for cheap Chinese rubbers, I like rubber cement and find that it actually helps soften them up a pinch as a lot of them have stiff sponges.

I will say however I will not put rubber cement ever again on any DHS rubber. I've tried 3 times and every time they bubble on me (meaning the topsheet in a small spot will actually separate from the sponge). But every other brand Chinese rubber I've ever tried, no problems with rubber cement.