Suggestions on Hinoki Blade and Spin Oriented Rubber with Med/High Throw

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Hello All,

I would like suggestions on Shakehand Hinoki blades and the compatible rubbers for it.

Experience (9 years):
  1. GKI Offensive XX (pre-assembled Racket)
  2. Yasaka Mark V (pre-assembled classic Racket)
  3. Stiga Offensive Classic WRB with GKI Hybrid GX (max)
  4. Nittaku Miyabi with Razka 7 soft (FH) and Nittaku Flyatt Spin (BH)

Game-play:
  1. Offensive Spin oriented loops (back, top and side)
  2. Hard Spin Serves
  3. Occasional flat hits

I tried pairing a Nittaku Miyabi with Razka 7 Soft 2.0 (FH) and Nittaku Flyatt Spin 2.0 and Soft 1.8 (BH); I learned that the soft rubbers are not pairing well with the blade; lacks power.

I am looking for a blade (70 to 85) and rubbers which are light weight.

Thanks and Cheers,
Chintan

I think it will be very difficult to find Zetro Quad lighter than 88-90 gr. In our local srores it's 90 gr. too.
Xiom Ignito is hinoki-carbon and is around 84 gr.
Xiom Vega Tour is kiso-hinoki zylon-carbon and is around 85 gr. but you have to ask the supplyer for the weight they have. Here all pieces are 88 abd above. TT-Japan can deliver 84-86 gr. For me it's the best choice with great sinergy with most rubbers from soft to hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
On Darker Speed 90, I use H3 provincial 39 hardness.

I also tried the legendary Tenergy 05 and other rubbers such as R7 soft, T80, T05 FX. Man I have to say H3 gives much heavier spin. The provincial orange sponge gives such a good feel and control.

Many people say Chinese rubbers don't pair well with hinoki because the very tacky topsheet limits the power of hinoki. But RED hurricane is semi-tacky, therefore plays a lot better than black hurricane on hinoki blades.

Gives RED hurricane 3 a try if you can.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Haha this is funny.
[Emoji2]
just wrote this post a minute ago, but also fits here quite well too.
So apology that i'm just gonna quote myself.
Never used a one ply hinoki, but i've been playing with a 3ply hinoki for quite a while now. At first with carbon layers, but lately without, and my experience is that too soft rubbers just don't feel too good on soft woodtypes. The feeling is very indirect and not very linear.
But T05 or even harder ones like H3 do quite well. In fact the tacky H3N has an incredible dwell time on a Hinoki blade. To me it feels as if the ball just sits on the rubber for a moment. After having changed from hinoki+carbon to all-hinoki it almost felt like catching the ball and throwing it back after a while.

But if you don't like tacky rubbers many non tacky hard rubbers like t05 will do the job quite good as well.

Reactions: Rajah*
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am using Xiom Zetro Quad and here are my observations:
1. The blade is high on manufacturing quality and sits well in the hand.
2. It is quite thick and thus the handle is thick as well. On close observation, the top ply e.g. Kiso Hinoki is thicker than that offered on other composite blades with the same top ply.
3. I don't have a measuring scale but I find the weight of the blade paired with Xiom Sigma Euro II rubbers to be slightly on the heavier side. My observations are based on the comparison which I did in my club with other players blades who by chance mostly use Butterfly equipment.
4. Zetro Quad offers very good and precise feel, however, as already mentioned, I feel that a slightly firmer sponge rubber would suite better on this blade.
5. Due to softer wood, the dwell time is more but with hinoki wood, you need to commit to the stroke and complete it. This is especially true for brush loops as it requires complete and precise technique, otherwise the ball just goes to the net.
6. Although from marketing perspective Zetro Quad sounds great and for sure it plays well too, but after playing with it for almost a year, I feel that a thinner blade with more balanced weight distribution would be a more ideal choice. But this is just me who by incident found out that heavier blades are not my cup of tea. May be if you like it, then for sure try it.
7. The composite layer of Zylon-Carbon sits a bit deeper due to the thickness of the Hinoki wood, so when you go for hard hits or power loops from mid distance or further back the composite layers kicks in and the ball rockets off the blade very quickly. This needs a bit of experience, since initially you might feel that the blade behavior is not linear. Especially for those who are using composite blades where the composite layer is placed more towards the surface and is not deeper as in Zetro Quad.
8. Last but not the least, as I mentioned, the handle (FL in my case) is on the thicker side. So make sure to try it, if possible, before buying it as this could be an important factor in deciding whether you like the blade or not.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Darker 7p-2A or the faster 7P-2A.7t. All Hinoki is really worthwhile.

The 7P-2A.7t is as fast as most ALC blades.

There is something about a blade that is all Hinoki that can't be beat.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Darker 7p-2A or the faster 7P-2A.7t. All Hinoki is really worthwhile.

The 7P-2A.7t is as fast as most ALC blades.

There is something about a blade that is all Hinoki that can't be beat.

Thank you, can you also suggest the corresponding rubbers along with their thickness.

Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
I am using Xiom Zetro Quad and here are my observations:
1. The blade is high on manufacturing quality and sits well in the hand.
2. It is quite thick and thus the handle is thick as well. On close observation, the top ply e.g. Kiso Hinoki is thicker than that offered on other composite blades with the same top ply.
3. I don't have a measuring scale but I find the weight of the blade paired with Xiom Sigma Euro II rubbers to be slightly on the heavier side. My observations are based on the comparison which I did in my club with other players blades who by chance mostly use Butterfly equipment.
4. Zetro Quad offers very good and precise feel, however, as already mentioned, I feel that a slightly firmer sponge rubber would suite better on this blade.
5. Due to softer wood, the dwell time is more but with hinoki wood, you need to commit to the stroke and complete it. This is especially true for brush loops as it requires complete and precise technique, otherwise the ball just goes to the net.
6. Although from marketing perspective Zetro Quad sounds great and for sure it plays well too, but after playing with it for almost a year, I feel that a thinner blade with more balanced weight distribution would be a more ideal choice. But this is just me who by incident found out that heavier blades are not my cup of tea. May be if you like it, then for sure try it.
7. The composite layer of Zylon-Carbon sits a bit deeper due to the thickness of the Hinoki wood, so when you go for hard hits or power loops from mid distance or further back the composite layers kicks in and the ball rockets off the blade very quickly. This needs a bit of experience, since initially you might feel that the blade behavior is not linear. Especially for those who are using composite blades where the composite layer is placed more towards the surface and is not deeper as in Zetro Quad.
8. Last but not the least, as I mentioned, the handle (FL in my case) is on the thicker side. So make sure to try it, if possible, before buying it as this could be an important factor in deciding whether you like the blade or not.

We are on the same boat when it comes to gameplay. I refrain using XIOM blades as my friends have it and I've tried them (Vega Pro, Ignito, Strato). When I tried, it gave a strange feeling that the blade has an uneven weight balance MHO.

Found the below blades worthwhile:
- Nittaku Septear Carbon
- Darker 7P-2A.7t

As I am looking for rubbers that are specially made for the new plastic balls, I am focusing on the new rubber sheets like:
- Tibhar Aurus Prime
- Rakza X
- DHS Gold Arc 8

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you, can you also suggest the corresponding rubbers along with their thickness.

I personally think you should just choose the rubbers you want. Either of those blades will work well with T05, T05fx, MXP, FXP or any other offensive rubber.

Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
I personally think you should just choose the rubbers you want. Either of those blades will work well with T05, T05fx, MXP, FXP or any other offensive rubber.

I am looking for a TRUST-ABLE online vendor who sells Butterfly rubbers without any crazy shipping charges (TT11 doesnt supply butterfly rubbers in my country)

Personally, I want to try Aurus Prime for FH as an alternative,
I have tried Rakza X and that suits my gameplay on BH

with my previous setup, I kept the max thickness on Rakza 7 and Nittaku Flyatt Spin and Soft, but it didnt work as expected on Miyabi blade.

We are on the same boat when it comes to gameplay. I refrain using XIOM blades as my friends have it and I've tried them (Vega Pro, Ignito, Strato). When I tried, it gave a strange feeling that the blade has an uneven weight balance MHO.

Well, it really depends on personal feel, but Vega Pro and Ignito are very well ballanced and are lighter. Strato is heavyer and somewhat head-heavy.
Maybe you have played with more heavy pieces. That's why it's important always to ask suplyers for the weight.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Miyabi is the purest looper blade out there. You can't find anything better for pure brush loops.

Although, soft rubber is big no for looping due to bottoming out.

Try Palio Wildish Dragon or any H3 / TG3 for its pair, thickest. :)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk
Have you compared miyabi to any other single ply hinoki blades?

Passionate about TT

Reactions: BeGo