Liam's serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Tough to say from this angle. From the action and the receive it looks like a classic pendulum serve (side-backspin?) with some fake reverse pendulum-ish action afterwards.

Assuming that's indeed what Liam is doing here, then don't overthink it and try to do it yourself, it's quite natural to do. To experiment keep a loose wrist and elbow, change direction right after contact. But it's difficult to master the whole timing and body posture that makes reading the spin more confusing.

You'll see many other professional players doing that. Oh Sang Eun, Par Gerell come to mind. Wang Liqin for an impressive variant of that serve (albeit often somewhat hidden with the body), definitely worth a youtube search if you've never seen it.

Reactions: DennyTTLover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
its a simple pendulum sideunder or pure under judging by ma long's angle of receive and liam's trajectory does not curve much. I dpnt see any reverse fake action after contact but indeed the serve is similar to oh sang eun

He does an almost identical serve but with higher toss and definitely more side spin in 02:53. The motion before and after contact seem to be the same

Reactions: DennyTTLover
says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
Tough to say from this angle. From the action and the receive it looks like a classic pendulum serve (side-backspin?) with some fake reverse pendulum-ish action afterwards.

Assuming that's indeed what Liam is doing here, then don't overthink it and try to do it yourself, it's quite natural to do. To experiment keep a loose wrist and elbow, change direction right after contact. But it's difficult to master the whole timing and body posture that makes reading the spin more confusing.

You'll see many other professional players doing that. Oh Sang Eun, Par Gerell come to mind. Wang Liqin for an impressive variant of that serve (albeit often somewhat hidden with the body), definitely worth a youtube search if you've never seen it.

It's not the first time I have seen this type of serve but I have to say, Liam's version looks pretty cool. In fact, I would love to be able to do the Par's one as well. Will need loads of time and practice...