What Blade Ma Long is using? 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ma Long currently uses the latest version of the DHS W968 although the serial code on the W968 has changed and no longer contains the letters/numbers 'W968'. The price for a W968 is typically around $400 and the only difference between this blade and the commercial DHS Hurricane Long 5 is the size of the head (this is larger than the commercial version by a smidge as this benefits Ma Long's style of play but for the average player, having a blade the size and weight of the W968 would be a detriment to their game). As a result, DHS reduced the size and weight of the DHS Hurricane Long 5 so it plays better, which is the case.
The W997 is an older version of the the W968, that's basically it; the W968 was introduced with the new poly ball for Ma Long and the national team.
The rubbers Ma Long uses are DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National 40 dergees blue sponge and DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National 37 degree orange sponge.

I hope this helps!

Long 5 has different versions too, with different outer 2 plys. I know 3 versions - koto-ayous, limba-ayous, limba-limba.
Just have heard, but it may be a speculation, that ML plays with a hinoki outer. But it's for sure that with so many commersial versions no one can say what is exactly in the ML personal blade. Better think of it as a custom.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Ma Long currently uses the latest version of the DHS W968 although the serial code on the W968 has changed and no longer contains the letters/numbers 'W968'. The price for a W968 is typically around $400 and the only difference between this blade and the commercial DHS Hurricane Long 5 is the size of the head (this is larger than the commercial version by a smidge as this benefits Ma Long's style of play but for the average player, having a blade the size and weight of the W968 would be a detriment to their game). As a result, DHS reduced the size and weight of the DHS Hurricane Long 5 so it plays better, which is the case.
The W997 is an older version of the the W968, that's basically it; the W968 was introduced with the new poly ball for Ma Long and the national team.
The rubbers Ma Long uses are DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National 40 dergees blue sponge and DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National 37 degree orange sponge.

I hope this helps!

I don't know where you have your info from, but according to my chinese friend Ma Long uses FH 41.5° degree sponge hardness, ZJK 41° and FZD 42°.
37°degree for bh is correct though.

If you look at photos and screenshots from Chinese National games it looks as if ML switched from W968 to N301 which is an upgraded version of the W968.
Compare the different handle colours.
But this is just an assumption.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
Here are some pics from the match. Color and design look very much like his regular W968.
3no6B52.png

JQIp4Qz.png

zkJPVtF.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I never heard of a K301

Here are some pics from the match. Color and design look very much like his regular W968.
3no6B52.png

JQIp4Qz.png

zkJPVtF.png

Oopsi. That was a typo. Caught me. I just edited it, 'cause it's N301...

Look again closely. Does that handle colour look like W968 Babyblue to you?

In fact it rather looks like K161 to me.
201608070444255452.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I don't know where you have your info from, but according to my chinese friend Ma Long uses FH 41.5° degree sponge hardness, ZJK 41° and FZD 42°.
37°degree for bh is correct though.

If you look at photos and screenshots from Chinese National games it looks as if ML switched from W968 to N301 which is an upgraded version of the W968.
Compare the different handle colours.
But this is just an assumption.

Well, ironically acoording to MY chinese friend its 40 degrees although I do think theres an argument that it would be mucb higher as you say. Regardless. I didnt know FZD's was 42 :O
As for the Chinese National Games, I am afraid to say I watched quite a lot of it (as well as ML's games himself) and he is categorically using the W968.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
On a photo of CNT equipment list (it was took in a CNT training/match hall by equipment control guys; IIRC) ( FZD and ML both used 40 or 40.5 degree sponges on FH side, XX a little harder ---> wrong, they use 41.5) and only ZJK used a 42 degree one.
I am not sure if I was correct with the numbers. I will update this post when I found the picture.
UPDATE:
I can't find it. I am sure ZJK used 42, hardest from all CNT.

Last edited:
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
Blade: W968 old version
FH: Hurricane 3 neo blue sponge 41.5 degree
BH: Hurricane 3 neo orange sponge 37 degree
Both rubber has name stamp on the back of the sponge