Carbon blades & Medium - Hard rubbers

This user has no status.
I recently switched from playing with the Donic Waldner Ultra Carbon to using the Ovtcharov True Carbon. While I am aware that it's not the hardest carbon on the market, I had never experienced hand or finger numbness before. That being said, I hit approx. 500-700 balls per weekday night and quite a bit more during my weekends off of work, so I am used to high levels of training, etc. On top of switching to the True Carbon, I switched from MX-P's on both sides to the Bluefire M1's on both sides. I love them, however, this numbness garbage is quite bogus. I had jammed my hand recently while working on my property so that may very well be the issue but, until I am back to 100%, I am sort of alarmed that my perfect blade rubber combo may not work out and I will have to switch to a softer rubber. I dread the thought. Have read a bit about carbon blades creating a numb feeling and wanted to pick your brains and see if anyone has ever experienced a similar issue before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
When they say the feeling is numbed, I'm pretty sure they refer to the amount of feedback they perceive from the bat, NOT to their hand or fingers physically becoming numb.

Don't push yourself too hard after your accident. Wish you a speedy recovery.

This user has no status.
Numbness usually indicates there's blood flow being blocked somewhere.

Your hand being jammed with heavy and/or sudden force might be the culprit.

Using altogether different setup might also be the culprit if the setup resulted in you changing the way you hold/grip the blade and/or the amount of force you applied doing so (causing a blocked blood flow).

The equipment blades/rubbers (wood/carbon, soft/hard) by themselves doesn't have attributes to cause numbness physically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Van2112
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Van2112

Do you have this numbness only when you play TT for a while?

Do you have this numbness after TT still?

Is the numbness something you feel during the day when you are not playing TT?

Or are you just talking about it being hard to feel the ball when you are hitting?

@ rokphish, you could have numbness for any number of reasons including nerve impingement or nerve damage. Lack of blood flow can cause numbness too. But there are many things that can cause numbness. Most of them have to do with the nerves. If your leg or arm fell asleep, that is the kind of numbness that usually occurs due to lack of blood flow.

However, if you hit your funny bone really hard you could have numbness in your hand and forearm and it would definitely have nothing to do with blood flow. You could even hit the funny bone area hard enough so you had numbness for weeks before things returned to normal.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yes, couldn't find translation to nerve impingement/pinched nerve earlier so just go with the other alternative.

I used to have this problem for quite awhile. The peak was when even ordinary stuff such as spoon feeding my daughter I only managed a few minutes less than five before my hand started feeling numb.

Years ago also had problem when loop training using multi balls. After several minutes my hand got numbed. Probably due to wrong movement and/or same nerve problem.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
All of that makes a great deal of sense. I believe that I interpreted the meaning of numbness literally when using a harder blade. In my case, the accident must be the culprit and it just so happened that I had changed blades and rubbers. I have only been playing for 9 months. I was too busy being a "rockstar" for many years and now that I've retired from that life, I found Table Tennis and am essentially making up for lost time and am training rigorously to become a good player in the greatest sport, ever! In fact, I have surpassed most of those that initially taught me the game. I've always tried to be the best at what I do and Table Tennis is no exception. Perhaps it is time to chill a bit and heal up. I do not want to create any permanent damage to my nerves. Thanks a million fellas!!